FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC <vs> GEX, UTX

ebksb123

I wasn't very active in FSX for the last 1-2 years, the last thing I remember was FTX Global Base being released (and hyped a bit), and today there is Global Vector, OpenLC for Europe and Alaska/Canada, but also refreshed versions of GEX and UTX (haven't checked these for a while, the upgrades may be a bit older).

All I know is that FTX Global Base is mostly replacing textures just like GEX does, while Vector does more or less the job of UTX. And then there's e.g. OpenLC Europe, organizing all the suff according to the actual continent. Which is not needed for GEX/UTX since they are already divided in areas and offered separately.

At the moment I have the old versions of both GEX and UTX for Europe and USA/Canada, but I have no idea if I should pay an additional (smaller) amout of money to upgrade them or just switch to the FTX stuff. Although most people say FTX Global is the best you can get, I think that a part of it is just the hype and in reality it's not like everything about FTX is gold and UTX/GEX is bad, they mainly seem to be different. I read somewhere that FTX Global looks especially well in northern europe while in southern europe it's just to green and doesn't fit to terrain of addon airports at all.

So what do you guys think? Anyone having experience using both combinations? From what I have read, FTX Global and UTX seem to work together nicely as well. Global or GEX? Vector or UTX?

Looking forward to your opinions!

+1

I have very similar question.

At the moment I have FTX Global + UTX Europe v1. I want to enhance my FS experience and start to fly some longhauls too. 

I am thinking what would be better. Upgrade to UTX V2 and buy UTX USA + UTX Canada or buy FTX Global Vector + Ftx open LC for North America and wait until LC for Usa will be also realeased.

Maybe some of you have already some experience with products mentioned above and could share their experience?

I found an article which deals with the topic, though it mainly focuses on land class products (Vector, UTX, ...) and it only uses locations in Germany to compare them. It includes a lot of screenshots with different combinations of addons, most of them having FTX Global for the textures, but also one for GEX, VFR Germany and even XPlane. For those who are interested, you can read it here. (it's in German)

However, I'm still quite interested in what you think about the available stuff, so please don't hesitate to present your opinion!! :)

Archived