PC Build Components list

Hello Simmers,

This will be my last post in the hardware discussion forum lol. After doing some research and with the help I got in the forums here I have finally managed to pick the parts to build a computer only for FSX maybe P3D in the future. 

i7 4790k ($485 AUD)

Galax GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 V2 Black Edition Graphics Card ($489 AUD)

Samsung evo SSD 250gb ($145 AUD)

Thermaltake lite power 650 ($80 AUD)

DDR3 SDRAM 8G Kit 2133 G.Skill Ripjaws-X ($77 AUD)

Motherboard Z9K ($165 AUD) or H97-Pro Gamer ($174 AUD)?? (Gamer is $9 more don't know if it makes a difference?)

Please note PC wont be over clocked. I am going to buy this tomorrow so if you guys have any suggestions or any ideas to save me more money or if something is not compatible your answers would be very much appreciated. Also any suggestions for a nice budget case?

Regards,

Be1a1

• Deputy Sheriffs

But be aware that for FSX and its addons there might only be a max of 150GB left after installing the OS. Eg. my FSX installation is meanwhile above 500 GB.

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you ask me, then you should consider buying the much cheaper GTX 960 4GB and put the saved money into a 500 GB SSD.

The 960 is by far strong enough for FSX/P3D and having your sim completely on an SSD is really not luxury but a must nowadays. 

Hmmm ok I guess I can change it to a 500GB SSD but I hear many people having better experience with 970 and since I am planning to try out p3d later it is a smart investment? What do you guys think of the other components and the motherboard which one should I go for from the 2?

So do I. The GTX 960 is good enough for FSX/P3D and you can never have too little disk space.

Looking at my own system:

- 1x Samsung 850 EVO 750 GB SSD (windows and all other software)
- 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD (FSX and a few other games)
- 1x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3 TB HDD (storage)

When you got lots of add-ons like me that much disk space is really required.

I'll write an article about that.

I'd be very interested in that, as I can't quite picture what you mean. I've used your previous article about a cheap video card etc and it worked for me, but that was then and now, several builds later I have an I7 and two SSD's and two 960's in SLI, although I don't really see the point of two cards for prepar3d yet.... But we've come a long way :)

There is no point in two cards in a SLI configuration, FSX and P3D don't benefit from it. One video card works just as fine as two, and it saves you a bunch of money.

• Deputy Sheriffs

P3D v2 works with SLI and benefits from it but the cost does not justify the gain. I can fly with 4x SGSS in heavy clouds without an FPS drop below 30 with my 980GTX SLI setup but that is about it.

• 2 months later...

Hello flight simmers,

i Need immediate assistance, been facing so much fps drop and joystick disconnection while playing, i even added the highfixme and bufferpool to the cfg folder still no use, 

these are my hardware specs:

Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Manufacturer AMD
Speed 4.0 GHz
Number of Cores 8
Video Card 1 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer ATI
Chipset AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Dedicated Memory 8192 MB
Total Memory 8192 MB
Video Card 2 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer ATI
Chipset AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Dedicated Memory 8192 MB
Total Memory 8192 MB
Memory 34 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional Edition (build 9600), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size

64 Bit

please help,

Thank you

• Aerosoft

SLI hardly works for FSX (in fact in many occasions it slows things down) and of the eight cores only two or three will be really used. So while it might be a good system for P3d V3, it is not for FSX. A Intel Core i5 and a single graphics card will be a far better choice.

And for future hardware updates, keep in mind that FSX/P3D always performs better on Intel / Nvidia hardware. I see that you currently got AMD / ATI, wich works but you won't get the most out of it. Not too long ago I replaced my ATI video card with a compareable Nvidia card and it really does make a difference. Got far less FPS drops now.

Gentlemen,

A quick question.

My system suffers from stutters, I think they appear when AI is loading and also trees etc...

Would an SSD for FSX help me solve this issue?

I have my operating system already installed on a SSD, but my FSX install in on a regular 2 TB HDD.

My system is a windows 10 (x64): I5 4590 + Geforce GTX 760 2GB + 16 GB DDR3 RAM

Thx for your advice!

What good is an SSD if you don't have FSX installed on it? I'd rather turn it around, have the OS on the regular hard drive and FSX on the SSD. The way you've set it up right now you don't benefit from the SSD at all.

The rest of your system is very much ok, so if there's anything to improve it's definately getting FSX on an SSD. This can be the existing one or a new one, that's up to you. I'm pretty sure that would reduce the stutters a lot.

Archived