Hello Simmers,

I plan on building a computer solely for fsx so wont be installing anything else apart from FSX. I am tight on money and would like to get advise on whats the best specs to run fsx smoothly with everything maxed out with addons like REX, PMDG, Flytampa, AS etc also I don't like the sound of overclocking and don't plan on doing it although I know it has its benefits. 

I did a lot of my own research but ended up being more confused as most people buying computers plan to overclock or have a higher budget. I have set a maximum budget of $1000. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

• Aerosoft

You will have no problem getting a computer for $1000 Euro that will run FSX fine. HOWEVER, everything maxed out is simply impossible because no matter what you pay you will not be able to overcome the 32 bit limitations of FSX.

Before we go further, confirm you want FSX SP2 and not FSX:SE or P3D V2, Certainly P3D needs different hardware but can deliver far better performance. FSX:SE also has more options that can determine your hardware choices. 

• Aerosoft

In that case do not spend more than $100 on the graphics card and get the best CPU you can get. Value for money is on an unlocked core i5, they are seriously good.  And even in a budget system I think you should consider a cheap SSD, it makes one hell of a difference.

I found the I7 4790 for a very good price as well as all other parts only remaining item on the list is GPU which one to go for?

• Deputy Sheriffs

I found the I7 4790 for a very good price as well as all other parts only remaining item on the list is GPU which one to go for?

I would go for a GTX 760 FTW when you have a low budget. When you want to have a better one buy a GTX 980 4GB or the 960, it will run other games fine as well

Got a GTX 960 myself, runs very well and doesn't cost too much.

But of course on FSX the CPU is much more important. The best CPU at the moment (but also one of the most expensive) would be the I7-4790K 4.00 GHz. That would make FSX run like a blast, even without overclocking (wich this CPU is very well capable of). Of course other CPU's work fine as well, as long as it's at least an I5 or I7 with a good speed. Don't go for an I3 as it's a whole lot slower.

I also agree with the advice for an SSD. If you want a good SSD for a reasonable price, I'd suggest the Samsung 840 EVO series. I got one myself and it sure makes a difference.

The rest of the computer can be more budget, altough I wouldn't go for the very cheapest hardware. That would slow things down. Just saying that you don't need the most expensive, that's all.

I would go for a GTX 760 FTW when you have a low budget. When you want to have a better one buy a GTX 980 4GB or the 960, it will run other games fine as well

How about the GTX 970? 

Archived