Airbus Fonts Disrupt Windows 10 Browser Font Display

tytyt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had also this error.

It is not only EDGE is affected, also many other programs like Mail etc. (as others atetd above)

The explanation that Aerosoft created a wrong font name seems very reasonable.

Thanks for the fix, jancg

Same problems here, not only with EDGE, but also with IE, a couple of compilers GUIs, CISCO Networks manager, etc....

After 2 weeks with a clean install of win 10 Pro, P3Dv2, it started the moment I was prompted to restart after the Aerosoft Airbus installer finished the install, yesterday night.

It certainly IS a problem with the way the fonts were created by Aerosoft for the Airbus.  Affects win 10 because of the way this system identifies the fonts.

A BIG THANK YOU!!! to jancg.

P.S.: Aerosoft, a BIG THANK YOU!!! too, not for the fonts problem, which now has a solution while we do not get a patch, but for the great Airbus model, which will create yet another problem for me - that one very BIG and unsolvable  - of time to spend on other tasks apart from using it :-)  Great airplane!

Flies Great, looks Great!  Very Happy customer here :-)

Edge is not finished yet. Microsoft rushed it out to make the release date of Windows 10. There will be a major W10 patch in September. Why not use Chrome, it is a much better and safer browser? 

Hi, I had the same problem and it was fixed with Jancg's file. Thank you!

However there is another problem with the font(s). I don't know if any of you are familiar with Aivlasoft's EFB. There are some issues with this program under windows 10 (see the first post of this thread). Today I have found what I believe is the culprit of this issue: Airbus fonts. I ran a VM with Windows 10 and installed P3D, EFB only. The EFB worked fine. Then I installed the Airbus and it stopped working. It wasn't until I deleted the Airbus fonts that the EFB worked again so something in the fonts messes with "Castle.MicroKernel", but only in Windows 10, that renders it unusable and thus making EFB unusable. Sorry if this isn't the right thread but since it has to do with the fonts I figured I'd share.

Thank you for reading this,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

and what happened to your EFB after you installed the earlier in this topic provided fixed font?

It stays the same (crashes when I try to start it)

Thanks for the info. That is a clear sign that more than one font needs to be fixed.

I did some tests and EFB will start when I remove either AirbusDisp or AirbusPFD, but will not start when both are installed. All other fonts (except for AirbusPFD2) seem to have no effect.

Also some fonts are missing letters or look weird in the Font Viewer, but they seem to have no effect on EFB or the Airbus.

Jerry

I did some tests and EFB will start when I remove either AirbusDisp or AirbusPFD, but will not start when both are installed. All other fonts (except for AirbusPFD2) seem to have no effect.

Also some fonts are missing letters or look weird in the Font Viewer, but they seem to have no effect on EFB or the Airbus.

Jerry

Thanks again Jerry and All

Keep well and regards

Pauga

I checked the AirbusPFD2.tff file with the tool ttfedit. And as I suspected, there are multiple properties indicating the font title as "Arial". I have corrected this and it is working now as expected.  The only strange thing is that with the same file I never had a problem in Windows 7 nor in Windows 8.  I attach the corrected font. 

I did the same thing with success as well to the CDU.ttf file from CaptainSim as rthat too made my Aivlasoft Display Unit crash.   But in the case of CDU.ttf, that file had a font name of "New".  I just tried putting "CDU" in some of the fields in place of 'New' using TTFEDIT, saved it and installed it.   That file not longer crashes my Aivlasoft DU now.

However, my Aivlasoft DU still crashes with AirbusPFD.ttf which appears to not be editable by TTFEDIT.   When trying to open it TTFEDIT throws an error "Exception while loading font".    I wonder if that font file got corrupted during the Windows 10 upgrade.

Can someone please post a presumably "good" AirbusPFD.ttf file here????

EDIT: No doubt. Using ethe original AirbusPFD.ttf file (which I backed up) with the Airbus aircraft, I've confirmed it MUSY be corrupted because the aircraft doesn't load any fonts from it.   AND... when I browse to the file and open it Windows Explorer should show me the various fonts and styles in the file.  This file displays nothing.

Can someone please post a presumably "good" AirbusPFD.ttf file here????

EDIT: No doubt. Using ethe original AirbusPFD.ttf file (which I backed up) with the Airbus aircraft, I've confirmed it MUSY be corrupted because the aircraft doesn't load any fonts from it.   AND... when I browse to the file and open it Windows Explorer should show me the various fonts and styles in the file.  This file displays nothing.

I am not sure if this one will work for you. It's untouched and from a clean install of windows 10. However it also crashes my EFB which makes me think that the Windows 10 upgrade process did not corrupt the font but rather something else is causing the problem.

AirbusPFD.ttf

I am not sure if this one will work for you. It's untouched and from a clean install of windows 10. However it also crashes my EFB which makes me think that the Windows 10 upgrade process did not corrupt the font but rather something else is causing the problem.

Thanks JerryM!   I think you're correct.   Interestingly, your file was slightly larger than my untouched file.   That said... no dice!    If I return all the Airbus*.ttf files back to the fonts folder, the Airbus works just fine, and -- yes -- my EFB crashes.

After reading a bunch more forum posts here, and on AVSIM, these font files are playing havoc with lots of things.   I opened up Microsoft Edge (the successor to Internet Exploder) and sure enough... my page text in the web pages I'm looking looks a lot like a CDU or PFD font.    I'm sure it has something to do with Aerosoft's creation of their own TTF file and the ambiguity being created by "Arial" font references in those files.  For some reason, Windows 10 appears to be playing hardball now where prior versions of Windows could work out those technical ambiguities.

At this point, I'm just guessing.   I do appreciate the help fellow simmer!  Thanks again!!!

Hoping someone can get a complete fix for this out soon.

Hi Everyone,

i just wasnted  to add that I have this issue as well with edge and EFB. (Don't shoot me) I have the MJC 8 q400 installed, since the update I have been having trouble with random font issues on its PFD, ARCDU and MFD. I have been working closely with one of there developers and it appears that something outside of there programming is causing font issues. I hope you don't mind but I have shared this link with them, just in case these items are related. 

Rob

The Airbus fonts also affect some of the text in SuperTrafficBoard. There are also two CaptainSim fonts (CDU and CDU_WXR) that can cause problems. I had to remove all four (two Airbus, two CS) to get STB and EFB working normally again.

I am not sure why this topic has been marked as "answered". When I remove the problematic fonts, the Airbus PFD is missing information. And if I use the modified AirbusPFD2.ttf by Jancg (THANKS!), I still have issues with AirbusPFD.ttf. The latter can not be edited with ttfedit, it seems.

Peter

Answered, but definitely not solved.   Looking into the TTF files themselves, it's clear that the reference to "Arial" throughout the AirbusPFD.ttf file is caused by Aerosoft's incomplete setup of their own TrueType font.   The CDU fonts belong to CaptainSim and appear to suffer from a slightly different issue in that the meta information stored in the TTF file themselves don't appear to be complete, causing issues with other fonts being used by various applications.

It would seem to me that Aerosoft could solve this problem by correcting the meta information in their two TTF files (AirbusPFD.ttf, AirbusPFD2.ttf).   Granted, I have no idea how the Bus is addressing those fonts. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Of course the problem is only solved once AS provides fixed fonts either via hotfix or within the next Service Pack. 

At the moment I can't tell you when this will be done. 

Of course the problem is only solved once AS provides fixed fonts either via hotfix or within the next Service Pack. 

At the moment I can't tell you when this will be done. 

Thank you Tom!

Folks,

I have applied the PFD as attached into the Display folder and replaced the PFD there, however two things one MS edge fonts are still wrong it did not correct. Two a clean load of the Bus onto a clean install of Wiin 10 and all HF F applied plus the for mentioned and I am still missing all the engine circles around the Efis screen just have figures and the needles?

Have I placed the TTf in the wrong place.

Thanks and Regards

• Deputy Sheriffs

Font files always have to be installed (and not only copied) in the folder ...\Windows\Fonts and nowhere else. Also a reboot of the PC is required after the installation of fonts.

And as a solution provided by Aerosoft is not far away, stay away from other solutions.

Thank you for the information, however I have uninstalled the Bus and FSX, but alas I now cannot reverse the Fonts issue in Edge from the fix suggested so will have to re install Win again!

Great that a solution is coming soon will just leave the Bus uninstalled until then!

Thanks and regards

Otto,

Thank you so much did not think of that , found them all and delated manually and all is good again!

Thanks and looking forward to the font fixes etc.

Very kind Regards

Mark 

Otto,

Thank you so much did not think of that , found them all and delated manually and all is good again!

Thanks and looking forward to the font fixes etc.

Very kind Regards

Mark 

I can confirm that it Is the Airbus fonts causing the issue, I have deleted them and all is fine now, I just install the fonts each time I want to use the airbus and delete after using. Cant wait for a fix from Aerosoft.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Archived