Need some input about WX

• Aerosoft

The current Airbus WX with ASN draws giant cells, painting large areas on the ND, whereas the PMDG-WX in the same situation only shows the actual "precipitation areas" (compared to the view in flightsim and the ASN-Map in "details view").

Well as I explained, we show the weather as it actually is in FSX. If another weather radar that does not actually read the weather in FSX shows something else it shows something that simply is not in the simulator and will have no effect on the aircraft. For this aspect we prefered actual functionality over cosmetics.

• Aerosoft

Please do not choose ASN only. I am ASN user but suffer no frame loss and think it would be a downgrade.

That will never happen. Apart from the actual load on some systems (we actually still do not fully understand that) our system is simply far superior.

In fact you will see our technology used by other late this year as they have licensed it.

Well as I explained, we show the weather as it actually is in FSX. If another weather radar that does not actually read the weather in FSX shows something else it shows something that simply is not in the simulator and will have no effect on the aircraft. For this aspect we prefered actual functionality over cosmetics.

Just to clarify, the Airbus-WX often shows more then there is visible to me in the sim.

Anyway no matter how you do it in the end, just don't use the WX-radar of a certain Q-400 manufacturer, that thing doesn't work at all. :D

I am not sure what you mean here. Can you expand?

i'm not sure either on review.

one thing i did mean is that there should be more emphasis on having wxr option/s that correlates well with what the sim visually generates .... whatever the weather engine ( ?? ) and that fps gains from doing that are of lesser emphasis.

as i wrote in #9, my current use of asn / wxr in the airbus is for me that.

cheers

john

As someone who experiences really poor FPS using the current Wx radar (and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why after initially thinking I had the problem solved), I'd love the option to have the ASN-based Wx radar. I use ASN 100% of the time I am in the sim so this would be a welcome experience for me. It's a shame because I enjoy using the current Aerosoft Wx radar (paints a fantastic picture on that ND) but the second I flick on the radar anywhere towards the surface, my FPS take a nose dive. If I flick it off, it is smooth sailing.

TL;DR - would love the option to have an ASN Wx radar as I am one of those that suffers from huge FPS drops when I flick on the current Wx radar.

I would be for this if it is a choice. Would be a shame to see aerosoft abandon their hard work on the weather radar, though sadly I don't use it due to poor performance and the fact it often paints massive cells that fill the ND even at high range settings. The ASN solution gives me no fps drop though I do agree with the fact the cells look too scattered and concentrated with red returns.

"Please do not choose ASN only. I am ASN user." +1. I too am primarily an ASN user but am not a fan of 'forcing' users to select that platform if they wish to enjoy weather radar.

YES, It will be great.

The best result is if user can choose what WXRadar to use in the Control Panel.

You just have a nice Wxradar, the modules are just ready and fully functional, so why do not permit the non ASN user to have their WX Radar "reading" from FSX weather?

Having both WX radar is, the best choice for me!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Mathijs question has nothing to do with the upcoming REX weather architect.

It was just the question if the WXR should interface directly into ASN (like PMDG does) or keep it's current mechanism not being dependent on any weather engine at all.

With the current WXR the upcoming REX weather architect will be fully covered, as it injects the manually created weather before the flight into the sim. There are no more updates in between. The WXR then simply picks it up in the sim, like it picks up the weather from any other weather engine or the sim itelf.

I vote for flexibility. Both WXR alternatives and a switch to disable Aerosoft radar's prerendering so that it doesn't count the raindrops when off :)

• 3 weeks later...

Unless this WXR does not work with Active Sky Next I see no reason to add this as a feature. However if I am mistaken and this version of wxr does not work with ASN then I think this should be an option for the user to choose. I only recently got ASN and their are many users who don't use it!

• 4 weeks later...

As a recent Bus convert -- I would say please don't change the WXR functionality! I am an ASN user, but having used the Airbus X WXR over the weekend I have to say that it is far, far superior to the ASN radar used by 'another developer'.

Ground returns, radar shadows etc -- this stuff is all crucial to a proper WXR simulation and the current simulation means you can obtain a tremendous amount of information if you know how to manipulate the controls. It was an absolute joy last night -- first to spot a cluster of returns appearing at the top of the screen and realise that rather than a wide storm front they were in fact the Alps, and then later in the flight to see a couple of large cells appear on the radar and use the tilt and gain controls to establish that one was likely a harmless area of heavy rain at relatively low level whilst the other was a CB extending up above FL400.

I must say that I don't experience any performance issues -- it sounds as though there may be some work to do to optimise the coding, but surely ripping out all the hard work and replacing it with a lesser model would be a backwards step?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

My opinion personally is keep it how it is now currently on the A32X, I am an ASN user and it works perfectly fine without any frame loss.

However for people who do suffer frame loss it may be good idea to implement a way to choose between the 2 options as Emi pointed out. 

It could be in the configurator possibly, this would be the best idea in my opinion as i prefer the A32X weather radar to the PMDGs

Archived