ILS (LOC/GS) recapture

Hi,

on a few occasions, online, I was guided to intercept the ILS glideslope from even altitude (the GS marker in the middle) or slightly below. Localiser got green and engaged, while GS turned green but the aircraft did not descend with the glidepath. I disconnected the APP button on MCDU and lowered the aircraft manually to intercept the GS again from below. But then, trying to re-capture the ILS and GS did not work. I tried resetting Flight Director - as you do in Boeings, but no effect. What needs to be done to be able to re-capture the LOC and GS after first, unsuccessful attempt during the same flight?

Kind regards,

Rafal

(All hotfixes and versions up to date).

Are you saying you are trying to intercept ILS from above? If so remember there is a special airbus procedure (arm APPR, turn altitude knob to place it above and selected maximum vertical speed -1500 fpm). The GS will then be recaptured (GS* and GS).

Also in real bus the GS does not intercept if LOC* green or LOC green is not established before.

Are you saying you are trying to intercept ILS from above? If so remember there is a special airbus procedure (arm APPR, turn altitude knob to place it above and selected maximum vertical speed -1500 fpm). The GS will then be recaptured (GS* and GS).

Also in real bus the GS does not intercept if not LOC* green or LOC green is establish.

Thanks for reply.

By all means no. Not from above. From "even" altitude , or from slightly below - not my choice: vATC instruction. The thing is, with both LOC and GS green, the localiser path was followed in such cases, buit glide slope (descent) - not (If APP mode is activated on MCDU well below glide slope - no problem).

When this happened, I "unclicked" APP button on MCDU, descended the aircraft below the glide scope mark - using selected vertical speed, and, once I was below the glide slope, I tried to re-capture ILS appr by pressing APP again. Both LOC and GS went green again, but no alignment of flight path took place, neither vertically nor horizontally. As if the system was unable to recapture the ILS signals and rea-align the aircraft for the ILS approach.

Kind regards,

Rafal

Rafal,

Im really not following you.

If you fly a normal interception as Im understanding, you got LOC and GS green modes engaged and the autopilot does not follow the localizer and glideslope?

Maybe someone else can understand you better, sorry or some kind of video might help if you are able to make it.

OK. Bluntly. If I interecpt ILS well below the glide slope (Primary Flight Display shows the altitude below the glide slope) - no problems:

w9QjPK.jpg

BUT: When I get vATC instruction to descend to an altitude, and when the situation looks like this:

wznFB3.jpg or the purple rhomb is as in the picture (even) or only slightly above the orange line, and

after a while, I get the final vector for ILS app from this altitude (by this time the APP is engaged on MCDU), the

ckQOK8.jpg

are green, but the aicraft does not descend with the glide path.

So I switch of the APP on MCDU, use selected vertical speed to descend below the glideslope (or disengage all AP and reinstate it when ... - see the next sentence) . When the vertcial purple rhomb is below the orange line (and of course the horizontal localiser rhomb is within range) I press the APP button on the MCDU again. And nothing happens. The aircraft does not follow either the localiser or the glidepath, even though they are

ckQOK8.jpg

green gain.

Kind regards,

Rafal.

Archived