Installing repaints for the Airbus A320 / 321 ( all versions )

Below is a copy of an answer I placed to a question made in the review section of an recent upload :

" Any of my repaints uploaded after the release of the latest version are made for that version . It must be said however that ANY repaints made , be it for the AirbusX ( 2010 ) , AirbusX Extended ( 2012 ) or the latest A320/321 ( 2014 ) that the textures are EXACTLY the same and therefore work in ALL versions . The ONLY difference is the texture.cfg which points to the folders containing the fallback textures ( which only display if textures are " missing " ) .

For the best results , install " by hand " , meaning unzip and use < COPY > and < PASTE > the texture.XXX into the correct folder . After you have added the texture folder and the aircraft.cfg entry just copy a texture.cfg from another ( working ) paint of the same type . One supplied in the download / CD is guaranteed to work .

This file structure was changed by Aerosoft when the AirbusX Extended was released ( the AirbusX did NOT have any models with sharklets ) so there were 8 folders ( not counting the Base textures ) with the different types . For the latest version there are only 4 folders and so the sharklet and non-sharklet models are in the same folder and aircraft.cfg . For aircraft installed in the AirbusX Extended ( AXE ) any sharklet models have to be placed in the correct folder , paying special attention to the lines sim= and model= . For an Extended paint to work in the latest A320/321 the same applies , check the aircraft.cfg lines for sim= and model= and change where needed and copy a texture.cfg from another working livery . "

With each successive version of the Airbus the only thing I have had to do to get all of my repaints working in the newer version is to replace the texture.cfg and in the case of the sharklet models make small changes to the aircraft.cfg , everything else works as it should without any problems whatsoever .

AirbusX repaints CANNOT be installed using the Livery Manager ( LM ) so have to be installed using the " old fashioned " method of unzipping and then copy and paste into the correct folder . The reason is simple , the LM was introduced two years later with the release of the AirbusX Extended ( AXE ) and so AirbusX paints were never ( made ) compatible . Another " problem " is the change in the VC textures which means that any AirbusX paints installed into the later versions show a blank registration plate ( after you have copied a texture.cfg from another livery ) . The same applies when using a paint from the AXE or later in the AirbusX , you will see a blank registration plate . Also with the AirbusX , there are no sharklet ( NEO ) versions , ( but a sharklet paint can be installed just that ) the aircraft shows with the wingtip " fences " .

To recap :

Paints uploaded between 2010 and 2012 were made for the AirbusX and MUST be installed by hand .

Paints uploaded between 2012 and 2014 were ( probably ) made for the AirbusX or the Extended .

Paints made after 2014 were ( probably ) made for the latest A320/321 .

ALL repaints work in ALL versions ( with a little work from you - the end user ) .

If the LM fals to install a repaint just unzip and install as you would any other repaint from another vendor as not every commercial developer includes a livery manager with their product .

With " dark " textures , copying a texture.cfg from another folder of the same model and type will rectify this .

If you wish to report a download as " broken " notify the uploader by PM first so that he / she can check for any mistakes ( we all make them ) .

Once a paint has been installed by hand and is working correctly ( correct texture.cfg ) , a backup can be made using the LM for future use ( i.e before installing the NEXT Service Pack ) .

Other points to consider :

Having FSX installed outside the Program Files certainly helps when editing the cfg's and installing addons .

When installing the Airbus to run the exe as Administrator .

When using the LM also run as admin .

EDIT : the text above in blue has been added for clarity .

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this, John. I didn't have the patience to reiterate the same for the 100th time in a row.

Perhaps we could get this stickied?

• 1 month later...
  • mopperle pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

Thank John .. For sharing with us that. my inquire is that after I have installed FSX and installed AirbusX in order to add the shark lets, unfortunately after instal AIRBUS X, I was not able to use the new airplane and even when I attempted to do so the FSX program go out!!!  

However, if you may to  help me out with this. 

Thanks

Majed ,
For anyone to help you , you have to help us first . This is the most important part of my text above :

This file structure was changed by Aerosoft when the AirbusX Extended was released ( the AirbusX did NOT have any models with sharklets ) so there were 8 folders ( not counting the Base textures ) with the different types . For the latest version there are only 4 folders and so the sharklet and non-sharklet models are in the same folder and aircraft.cfg . For aircraft installed in the AirbusX Extended ( AXE ) any sharklet models have to be placed in the correct folder , paying special attention to the lines sim= and model= . For an Extended paint to work in the latest A320/321 the same applies , check the aircraft.cfg lines for sim= and model= and change where needed and copy a texture.cfg from another working livery . "

In order to help in any way , can you answer the following questions ?
1. Which version of the Airbus do you have installed ? AirbusX ( 2010 ) , AirbusX Extended ( aka AXE 2012 ) or A320/321 ( 2014 ) .
2. Which repaint ? ( name or download link ) .
3. Is your version of the Aiirbus fully up-to-date ( i.e. all patches installed )?
4. Was everything installed by right clicking on the .EXE and choosing " Run as Admin ... " ?

Archived