CPU temperature while running FSX/P3D

Hello guys,

what is your average temperature © of your CPU while running FSX / P3D ?

Unfortunately, I am having high temperatures lately (~70C).

Is this a normal temperature of a i7 CPU running at full speed ?

Thanks

A bit on the high side, but not really a problem. Maybe there's dust in the fan, so I suppose you clean it. If that doesn't help you may need a new cooler.

• Deputy Sheriffs

depends a bit on the specs of your CPU and yes 70°C can be normal under high load. but Normally the CPU throttles itself down to avoid damage.

But you can check that your CPU has sufficient cooling. Check that your cables do not disturb the airstream. also it is recommend to clean the vents and the cooling fins from time to time.

There's no trace of dust right now anywhere on the Cooler.

I clean it very often.

Maybe its the environment temperature that causes this.

I guess I need a more powerful cooler than the stock one.

Thanks guys!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Stock coolers always sucks ;)

I'm using Noctua coolers for years now, beeing absolutely satisfied.

• Deputy Sheriffs

But before buying a cooler check that it fits to your board and processor. Also the size is very important. Depending on the design of the board there is sometims very less space above the RAM dimms. And especially those dimms with colling fins do then have not enough room to be mounted. Thats why i use only dimms without cooling fins.

For your reference, I have an i72600k at 4.6ghz and it's running at 58-60 degrees after hours in full load. Usually around 55 in FSX with the first core a bit more. I'm using an old Noctua NH-D14 cooler. I also have hyper threading off. The cooler is very good, but it's not clean atm. Normally it would be around 50 celsius with HT off and ~60 with HT on. If you are running the CPU at stock speed with the stock cooler, 70 is ok. Temperature reduction by the cooler also depends highly on ambient temperature. For example when I was in Greece, in the summer it could get to 78C at load (winter 55-60), so I clocked it down a bit.

There is no way your CPU will get damaged with temperature, even if the fan fails. The CPU and the mainboard have built-in thermal protection that clock it down or shut it off to protect itself if temperature gets out of specification bounds, so you don't need to worry about that. If it were a problem, it would shut off (like in laptops that have clogged cooling systems). I believe for i7s, temperature threshold varies from 90-100C depending on the generation.

However, even if you run your CPU at stock speed, an aftermarket cooler can help improve the lifetime of your CPU as temperature has an impact on lifetime. It may get it down by 10-25 degrees at stock speed depending on ambient temperature, which is a considerable amount. Another way to decrease temperature considerably is by turning off hyper-threading if you don't use applications that take advantage of it, or turn it off when you play FSX. FSX mainly uses the main core of the CPU for the simulations and uses the rest of the cores (physical or virtual) to load sceneries, so 4 physical cores are more than enough for that. If you buy a good cooler however and leave the CPU at stock speed, you don't even need to bother with that. I'm not encouraging you to overclock, by the way, especially if your system works for you, as this can cause various problems and issues which you will have to troubleshoot and will also void any warranties.

I don't have any particular ties with Noctua, but I've had the NH-D14 for years and it has served me well. I believe the replacement model now is NH-D15 (?). It's certainly on the expensive side, but it's pretty much as good as it gets for air-cooling. When I had bought it, it had a big difference vs. other cheaper aftermarket coolers. All top air-coolers are around the same price. If mine was unable to cope anymore I would buy the new model without thinking it twice. However, do some research on comparisons and prices before you make your decisions. Mind you that the Noctua coolers are enormous , so your case needsw to be roomy and will not fit with non-standard profile RAM (like ram with protruding heatsinks on them). Even if you keep your stock cooler, it will be fine as long as you clean it and your case has good airflow. It is shipped with the CPU after all.

Archived