FMS AND NAV AP NOT FOLLOWING FLIGHT PATH

Scottydog48

Hey guys, first post here but I was having a problem with the CRJ200 autopilot where when I enabled NAV mode, it wouldn't intercept the flightpath and would just fly right past it. No matter how close I got to the flight path it wouldn't intercept it. A response would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Video:

This may not be very clear what the problem is in the video bc it's a recording of the flight and doesnt have my voice but I tried my pest tongue.png. In the video i showed you all the jegs and the PFD. The NAV button is activated and the FMS is selected as NAV source. You'll see me have the NAV button activated but the plane never intercepts the flight path and flies right through it. https://youtu.be/CzT-hofORTY

burgnon
It's look like you forget to insert a SID. Try to begin your fly with a SID or use at first the HDG mode with NAV mode engage to intercept your route.
Pierre

Here's an updated video, I am a new airline simmer and have never done instrument procedures and and just trying it out for the first time in the CRJ because I thought it would be a good plane to start in. Sorry for the late reply :P

Can somewone just tell me where i went wrong? :)

... I am a new airline simmer and have never done instrument procedures and and just trying it out ...

Can somewone just tell me where i went wrong?

Did you follow the tutorial?

The CRJ comes with a wealth of documentation, among that a very detailed tutorial flight, that takes you through all operation of the plane from cold&dark start up through a short flight to the shutdown.

Also, there's an addendum to the tutorial that covers all the improvements and expansions that came into the CRJ with updates since the original tutorial was written.

I suggest you follow the tutorial flight, cover to cover, paying attention to the additional information in the manual addendum, which will take you through a full flight.

If at any point you encounter trouble and you want to ask for claraification here, state exactly at which point (page) in the tutorial you are, what the tutorial says, and how that is different from what you see.

Did you follow the tutorial?

The CRJ comes with a wealth of documentation, among that a very detailed tutorial flight, that takes you through all operation of the plane from cold&dark start up through a short flight to the shutdown.

Also, there's an addendum to the tutorial that covers all the improvements and expansions that came into the CRJ with updates since the original tutorial was written.

I suggest you follow the tutorial flight, cover to cover, paying attention to the additional information in the manual addendum, which will take you through a full flight.

If at any point you encounter trouble and you want to ask for claraification here, state exactly at which point (page) in the tutorial you are, what the tutorial says, and how that is different from what you see.

This is my problem, that is clearly stated in the posts above. On page 36 where it says

"• Then, near the route the plane will change from HDG mode to

FMS mode (shown on the PFD) and the plane will start its turn to the
left to catch the route (fig 80)"
My plane does not do that as seen in the video above, please help me. :)

The video does not show the tutorial flight from LESA to LEVC.

However, the error is obvious: Your nav source selector is not set to FMS.

The nav sourse is set to FMS later in the video after takeoff

Please just follow the tutorial flight with the procedures described there. Everything else will lead to frustration.

I don't have European scenery installed and I really do'nt want it if t all possible. All I want to do is fly a simple route in north america. All the procedures should be the exact same as i have read the tutorial and know how to fly the plane so why can't I get any help?

• 4 months later...

I have had a similar problem with both the CRJ 200, the A320neo and Carrenado C182 G1000. The aircrafts sees to just roll, but never levels out to intercept the NAV. or follow the HDG bug. I am using X-Plane 10.40 RC3 under Steam. I assume there could be a problem with some of the plugins but not sure how to try and resolve them. The standard x-plane aircraft seem to work just fine but they don't use any advanced FMS simulation.

• 1 month later...
On ‎01‎.‎10‎.‎2015‎ ‎15‎:‎54‎:‎02, CanuckCYTZ sagte:

I have had a similar problem with both the CRJ 200, the A320neo and Carrenado C182 G1000. The aircrafts sees to just roll, but never levels out to intercept the NAV. or follow the HDG bug. I am using X-Plane 10.40 RC3 under Steam. I assume there could be a problem with some of the plugins but not sure how to try and resolve them. The standard x-plane aircraft seem to work just fine but they don't use any advanced FMS simulation.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the CRJ-200 and X-Plane 10.40 (both bought and downloaded via Steam). Tried it four times with the tutorial, viewed several tutorial vids... Still are not able to switch to FMS when intercepting the route.

Plane and X-Plane are using Navigraph Data (cycle 1507 rev 1). X-Plane config is quite basic and I didn't install any addons.

Also I was not able to file the flight plan due to the error "we could not link the airway...".

• 2 weeks later...
On 5.11.2015, 23:33:56, EDKA sagte:

I'm experiencing the same problem with the CRJ-200 and X-Plane 10.40 (both bought and downloaded via Steam). Tried it four times with the tutorial, viewed several tutorial vids... Still are not able to switch to FMS when intercepting the route.

Plane and X-Plane are using Navigraph Data (cycle 1507 rev 1). X-Plane config is quite basic and I didn't install any addons.

Also I was not able to file the flight plan due to the error "we could not link the airway...".

I have the same problem.... both bought and downloaded via Steam... i think steam is the problem! i have see many tutorial and have tried with these.

please help!

Hello everyone! I can confirm same bug in Steam version of X-Plane 10.40 with this aircraft, exactly same issue and it is not matter how I start plane as cold and dark or already started.

Did everythin like in tutorial I can see bot autopilots mode on monitor but switching from HDG to FMC is not happening.

P.S.: Didn't found any good explanation for how to solve discontinuity in FMC, maybe reason is in it?  

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having an issue...

Yes, I've been through the tutorial flight, yes I've read the manual, yes I've activated the route (I'm not in MOD), yes I can see the flight plan on the MFD, yes the HSI is tracking my deviation against the flight plan, yes I have FMS as nav source, yes I'm in HDG with NAV armed, but no matter how many times I criss-cross the flight plan, it is never captured and I never enter FMS mode.

Something very odd going on.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a problem in one of the X-Plane 10.40 betas that prevented the X-Plane autopilot to follow any externally supplied flight plan, so this affected every plane with aftermarket FMS. This was solved before 10.40 became final.

A few tips if you are still having trouble intercepting the flight plan:

1. "could not link the airway" is a common problem you see when using routes generated from navigational data older or newer than what the FMC is using or what X-Plane knows about. Let's say you use RouteFinder to generate a route along airways, and RouteFinder uses the latest current AIRAC cycle. Or you like to cobble your routes together using upper enroute charts on skyvector (It's a great website. I use it a lot.) which also uses the latest current AIRAC cycle. Now when you try to enter those into the FMC, and the FMC is not up-to-date using the latest AIRAC cycle from Aerosoft or Navigraph, it is likely that points have changed or airways have been re-designated in the mean time, and that is what causes airways to be unconnectable, or points showing up as not in airway.
    This will also affect the ability to file the flight plan to X-Plane's ATC which will complain it cannot link airways to another or points to an airway. So if you purchased a data update from either Aerosoft or Navigraph it is crucial that you then download and install the updates for both the X-Plane base data AND the X-Plane GPS data (which will in turn be read by the CRJ).
    Airway-to-point linking problems are virtually always caused by a cycle mismatch in navigational data, so make sure X-Plane, the plane you are using and your planning or dispatching source are all on the same cycle.
  2. "how to solve a discontinuity" is a question that also comes up frequently. First, you need to understand that a discontinuity is not an error per se, but a "heads-up" from the FMS indicating that it is unsure whether to link the points or not. It is a reminder to the pilot to look at the flight plan, verify the sequence of waypoints is exactly what he wants, and then tell the FMC that it should link the points together to a leg. The way to do this is to line-select the point below the discontinuity, which copies its name into the scratchpad, and then line-select this point into the BOX-characters of the discontinuity which shows that input is required. Note that deleting the discontinuity by line-selecting DELETE into the BOX-characters is not effective. A discontinuity is not a thing you can delete, it is rather the lack of an information that must be inserted.
    Now when are you likely to see a discontinuity? They are generated whenever the last point of one procedure is not identical to this first point of the subsequent procedure. That means, if the last point of the STAR is not the same as the first point of the approach transition, you will get a discontinuity between the two. That is not an error, but a reminder to check your charts and verify that you really want to use this STAR and that transition, and that you indeed want to connect these unconnected points. The same thing will happen if you select a transition that arrives at a point and the next leg from that point requires a course reversal, e.g. you need to leave the point in roughly the direction you are coming from. The best way to solve this is to insert a holding in lieu of a procedure turn. That turns the course reversal into a holding entry, which is a standardised way to do a course reversal.

Note that the autopilot will not be able to intercept the FMS course of the first leg of the flight plan unless you have selected a departure runway at your ORIG airport or have created a direct-to using the direct-intc CDU page to that leg. If you are unable to intercept the FMS plan after takeoff that is most likely because the active waypoint is the ORIG airport, or a different runway. In that case, simply use direct-intc to create a direct-to the next waypoint.

The autopilot will also be unable to intercept the next leg if you flew into a discontinuity. In that case, you will also need to bring up the dir-intc page on the CDU and create a new direct-to leg.

Philipp 

PhilippM, looks like you where right about AIRAC cycle conflicts between Plane FMC and X-Plane it self's. So.. in my case I did Navigraph updates before. And after your post here I did following in steam pressed to check files of X-Plane and restore them to originals. After it I reinstalled the Plane and now it is working just fine.

Archived