Fligth Level of a Flight Plan

Dear:

I downloaded the latest version of PFPX. I made a flight plan from LSZH to LSGG. The flight is entirely west bound. I expected an even FL like 200. But it worked out to FL190. Why?

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad

Bangladesh.

HI Haseen,

not all countries of the world have the eastbound/westbound rules.

Many western european countries (Suisse, France, Spain, Italy and Portugal) have a north/south rule.

Therefore PFPX is right with its flight level.

Additionally you'll find airways with defined flight levels for a direction, again PFPX is taking this in to account and most probably applies on the route to which you refer.

Hi,

for this kind of question, refer to the local AIP. In Europe, it will usually be in AIP ENR 3.3 for most countries.

Look for the local AIP via Google or create an account at http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/ and look it up there.

In most cases, PFPX is right, except for some special rules I don't expect it to know.

One of my favorite examples is UM736, which is quite common for traffic leaving Berlin.

BUREL UM736 is south-west-bound, but to be flown ODD, except:

Between BUREL and GALMA even flight levels for DEP EDDT, EDDB planned to continue via UZ20 or UZ94

That's stuff I don't expect PFPX to know.

Another example was a flight from LPPR to LEMH. South-east-bound, so you'd expect it to be ODD, which was wrong at that time (not sure if it has changed). The whole route was EVEN.

What I want to say? Don't trust those east-west/north-south rules. PFPX will most likely be correct. If in doubt, refer to the local AIP.

Olli.

Archived