Updated Connected Flight Deck Guides (OVPA)

My friends,

Most people don't have connection issues with Connected Flight Deck, but for those who do the Guides have proven to quickly solve 95% of all CFD connection issues - but only for those who read the Guides completely and apply the recommended settings.  Skipping through the guides or skip settings and you're bound to have more problems that will take a lot longer to resolve than if you went through the guide to begin with.

The guides below were written after over 10 years experience with Shared Cockpit networking.  We've taken the time to write these guides so that customers can get answers faster than posting in the CFD forum, and certainly a LOT faster than customers or Aerosoft Staff troubleshooting network issues via forum posts (which often takes a week or longer).

I sincerely hope you find our Guides to be helpful.

GUIDES:

Shared Cockpit Setup Guide (Start with this, the Most Important Guide)

Creating Software Firewall Rules Guide  (Self explanatory)

CFD Weather Settings Guide  (VERY IMPORTANT to Prevent Positional Lag Between Aircraft)

CFD Connection Troubleshooting Guide (Use this guide if you still have problems after reading the CFD Setup Guide)

CFD Pilot Communication Setup Guide (Describes the best way to setup CFD Pilot to Copilot Communications)

Happy CFD flying.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're in the process of updating the guides to include installation related issues. Should be done in the next week.

Dave

Hi dave, you answered one of my questions on another page, so i came here and started reading the trubleshooting guide but when i tryed to enter the Shared/Connected Flight Deck Computer Security Guide and apply the recommended settings. the link was broken and dropbox said there was an error, hope you can ressolve the issue.

Please try the link to the Guide again... it should work.

Dave

Sorry to keep bothering dave, but i checked the original one it says that it will be periodically updated so i´m trying to get the newest one and this appears: (note that i literally took it not further than 10 minutes ago.)

Juan S.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Juan,

I have just now downloaded all three PDFs from the links in the first post without any problems.

Can you please try it again?

Tom.

No bother at all, sorry to hear you are having problens.

Like Tom, I was able to download the documents via the links above, so I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to why you're  getting that error.  Do you have a  PDF viewer installed on your system?

Juan,

Well, you managed to confuse me. If it helps, there are only three guides:

1. Connected Flight Deck / Shared Cockpit Network Setup & Computer Security Guide.  The LINK TITLE for this Guide was abbreviated due to the length.

2. Connected Flight Deck (Shared Cockpit) Troubleshooting Guide

3. Connected Flight Deck Communications Guide.

If you're talking about the OVPA Website, then that's a WEBSITE, not a Guide.  The website is back online.

So that everyone will understand how the Guides are updated and update notifications are sent...

The links will remain the same, even for updated manuals.  I'll post here when the manual has been updated, and if one would like to receive an email they should register on the OVPA website. Registering on the website allows one to receive our Online Pilot Newsletters and Updated Manuals.  It does not mean you will join OVPA, which is a completely separate process.  You'll also notice there are no forums on the OVPA Website, just information.  This is intentional. Our group gets together on our Voice Server to share information as receiving private emails for group members only.  This is because we are a private group with fairly stringent requirements designed to keep our members secure during shared cockpit flights (as described in the first of our CFD Guides).

I hope this information has been helpful.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well maybe i didn't express miself correctly, i can download them all, but the one inserted inside the CFD Connection Troubleshooting Guide where i try to check for the CFD Setup Guide that is linked on the inside, there is my problem.

Juan,

from the name of the link inside the Troubleshooting Guide you can tell, that that one should link to the Setup Guide, which is the first link in the first post of this topic. Just take it from there ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just read the guide. How am I supposed to verify peoples names? And verifying their HOME address? TBH I would feel more scared about my security if someone knew my home address then if they connected to my computer!

• Deputy Sheriffs

It is totally up to you how much trust you have in the person you open up your computer to. 

With port forwarding you are relatively safe, with a VPN you are not.

What consequences you take from this (i.e. only use port forwarding) is totally up to you.

Speedy,

My advice is to fly read the section on joining or starting a trustworthy group (two is all it takes) OR of course you can choose not to fly CFD. 

Please keep in mind that we did not create the problems on the web, but if you wish to fly CFD as securely as possible then all the information you need is in the Guide (we didn't hold anything back!).  What we can't do is tell you how to start or join a group - that I'm afraid is just a little outside the flight simulation topic.

Best of luck my friend.  Happy flying!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends!

Well,we skipped the Version 2 update, and went directly to Version 3 after receiving some addition information from one of the developers we work with.

Verizon 3 (dated September 17, 2015) of the Setup Guide is almost completely re-written, and has several important changes.  You can download the Version 3 from the link in the very first post of this thread.

LIST OF CHANGES:
1. New Introduction.
2. Personal Data Protection via Hard Drive or Partition Encryption.
3. Additional Port Forwarding Information.
4. Ports and Protocols for Numerous Shared Cockpit Aircraft.
5. New Computer Security Setting "Execute Disable Bit (EDB)".
6. Information on the use of Wireless Networks.
7. Setup Checklist.
8. Removed Section on User Account Control and Power User Accounts.
9. Significant Editing and Narrative Updates

• 2 weeks later...

In what spare time I have, I'm working on he FINAL Setup Guide.  We'll break the Guide into two Guides, one just for setup, and one for Computer Security.

Should be out in a couple of weeks.

• 2 months later...
  • DaveCT2003 featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave for putting these guides on here for us to view. Lets just say, at the very least I was scared completely by what Hamachi can cause. I am not computer illiterate, and some of the stuff covered in the guide I wouldn't have seconded a thought to. Thanks for saving me some very big problems down the track!

Best wishes

• 6 months later...

Archived