P3D / Windows Sound Settings

Euphonist

I am loosing the voice of the co-pilot every time.

- after selecting cold and dark

- during the cockpit preparation

- before pushbak and start

- during taxiing

- etc.

I save the flight at certain moments and when I then restart completely; i.e. also prepar3D v2.5, the voice is back.

And then at random times I loose it again.

Is there a way to solve this?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Are you only loosing the voice or is the copilot functionality completely switched off? If you set the HOTKEYS (MCDU2/OPTIONS/CHECKLIST) function to ON and use "2" on the keyboard it is switched to OFF. In this case please assign "2" in any other program (like PRO ATC X) to a different key.

Regards,

Rolf

Are you only loosing the voice or is the copilot functionality completely switched off? If you set the HOTKEYS (MCDU2/OPTIONS/CHECKLIST) function to ON and use "2" on the keyboard it is switched to OFF. In this case please assign "2" in any other program (like PRO ATC X) to a different key.

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thanks, I tried it with setting the HOTKEY function ON and OFF.

The whole cockpit procedure was ok.

The voice of the co-pilot and a background sound (like a big fan, maybe the external power) are there.

Both times, in this case when entering the flightplan, the sound went off at a certain moment.

The procedure itself just continues.

Next I made a complete new scenario with another Airbus A320.

I set the ACFT state to Cold and Dark (cabin crew welcomes the travellers, etc.)

Turned on the batteries, ext. power, ext lights, ecam lights etc.

Besides the clicks I do hear probably the ext power going on.

Then in the checklists I set on the checklist and the co-pilot.

The I INIT the LOADSHEET and before I do the LOAD INSTANT, the sound is gone.

Infobar is now at: MCDU2: START CHECKLIST

I save this situation and reloaded it.

Sounds are back.

Now I pressed on MCDU2 the COCKPIT PREP

Then during DATA insertion the sound suddenly went off.

Now again started everything another, but now I recorded it. So you can follow it exactly. Maybe you see a mistake from my side. W'll see.

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/v2DKcz6UFkE?hd=1

Watch the end where suddenly the Hotkey appears again!

Friendly regards,

Wil

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Wil,

I looked at the video and everything seems to be OK for me...... I think your problem started when you cleared (CLR) the flightplan discontinuity.......Then another page opened (with the new F-PLAN in yellow) and you did not confirm this new changed flight plan by TMPY INSERT (LSK6R).or using ERASE (LSK6L).....In previous versions this page did not exist when using CLR ....... Please try again

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

I started again and in the beginning the sound was gone. I restarted the flight.

The sound was there.

I did the TMPY INSERT and everything went ok, but suddenly during the PUSH BACK the sound fall away again.

I waited until taxiing, saved and reloaded the flight.

Sound was back.

But during the Before TAKE OFF procedure it failed again.

Is there a way to measure some things or is a logging possible?

Friendly regards and thanks forresponding so quick every time :)

Wil

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Wil,

I have no idea. It seems that something you are doing is interfering with the program - like not using TMPY INSERT...... Sorry but we have no logging program for the CL and sound. Maybe it is also connected to your sound settings in P3D. Could you please try another device or different settings............

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Point is that thesound often is also gone before I insert the flightplan.

Indeed, I also begin to become suspicious that something else is bothering us.

Butsound settings in Prepar3D?

I don't know. You are working too with Prepar3D and you know that there is not much to set.

So, you did your utmost best.

As soon as I found a solution I will notify that in this post.

Up to you what to do with status of this post.

Thanks again,

Wil

Hello WIl,

This maybe totally off the mark, but have you changed the p3d.exe process priority in the windows task manager?

If the priority is set at realtime, this will create problems with sound processing in general, as the processor doesn't accept interrupts from drivers, so if you have changed it make sure it's high at most.

Stathis

Hi Stathis,

I started prepar3d and then I set the priority to High (it was set to normal).

Everything was going ok. Never been so far with the sound, but somewhere before the descent procedure it was lost again.

Tonight I will give it another shot.

Anyway I think it is a good tip. Thank you.

Friendly regards,

Wil

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Wil,

did you check that the default sound devices in your Windows settings are the same than in P3D?

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thanks, I did a quick look as I am doing my job now and saw that in Prepar3D the Playback Devices were set to Default Primary Playback Device and Default Communications Playback Device respectively.

I set them both to High Definition Audio-device and listened. That seems ok. At the end of the day a will make the flight and see how it works out.

I let you know.

Greetings,

Wil

Hi Stathis,

I started prepar3d and then I set the priority to High (it was set to normal).

Everything was going ok. Never been so far with the sound, but somewhere before the descent procedure it was lost again.

Tonight I will give it another shot.

Anyway I think it is a good tip. Thank you.

Friendly regards,

Wil

Yes this shouldn't be the culprit then. In high priority the CPU is still interrupted properly and sound should be working normally.

You may hear an occasional and rare small click in the sound, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Rolph and Stathis,

I have made progress.

I found out that in the sound configuration of Windows 8.1 there were 4 HDMI DVI Outputs (Port 0 ... 3) listed but not connected.

Probably they are related to my video card (GeForce GTX970).

I switched them off and again just before descent again it was lost, but I did not have priority setting to High.

There are also 2 Digital audio (S/PDIF) listed and ready. I switch them off and tonight I give it a try again.

Regards,

Wil

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Wil,

what kind of sound device you are using e. g. headphones, seperate loudspeakers or monitor built-ins etc. and how you connected those e.g. to your video card, sound card or front-size of your pc? Set those in your Windows sound settings to "Standard" and test thre settings outside / not using P3D. If those settings work then select the same in your P3D sound device options......

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Rolph and Stathis,

I have made progress.

I found out that in the sound configuration of Windows 8.1 there were 4 HDMI DVI Outputs (Port 0 ... 3) listed but not connected.

Probably they are related to my video card (GeForce GTX970).

I switched them off and again just before descent again it was lost, but I did not have priority setting to High.

There are also 2 Digital audio (S/PDIF) listed and ready. I switch them off and tonight I give it a try again.

Regards,

Wil

Hey Wil,

These extra devices you say could be the culprits also. I remember having some similar problems in another game with the HDMI outputs of the graphics card some years ago.

Those devices are only useful if you intend to stream sound via the HDMI port of your card (if you connect it to a TV for example or a digital A/V amp). As as a rule of thumb, because my card is

always connected on my monitors anyway, I never install the HDMI driver when I install NVidia drivers.

The S/PDIF devices are probably the optical input and output of the onboard sound from your motherboard. I don't think disabling those will make a difference.

After you disable those devices you don't use, be sure to shut down your pc and turn it on again. Don't just restart it, because the loaded firmware still stays on the card if there is power, even if you restart the system.

Then go to P3D's setup and be sure to choose the correct devices for audio. This is very important as Rolf is stressing out, because if P3D has the wrong devices selected, Windows sometimes recognises this and processes the sound through a generic driver and then diverts it to the actual device in use, if it's the only one that has speakers connected on. This can cause a lot of problems. You must also make sure that in the Windows sound manager the devices are listed with the correct priority you want them. If you notice, you can move them up or down, so be sure that the device you are using is at the top AND selected as default. If you are using external USB headphones which you disconnect from time to time, it is very likely that this is the problem. Every time you re-connect them and before running P3D, you have to make sure they are top in priority in the sound manager AND set as default. If this doesn't fix the problem for you, I would have to say that this is not really a P3D related issue, but most likely a mix-up in Windows due to the many drivers. It could also be that your sound driver needs updating.

From there on, what you can do is uninstall the drivers you don't use and update those that you do use. With the HDMI devices enabled, go to device manager and uninstall those. Don't restart the PC yet. Download the newest NVIDIA drivers. Run them and click to install with manually selecting install options. Install just the card driver and the PhysX engine and you can install the 3D vision driver if you use a 3D monitor. Before you click install, be sure to check the box that says perform a clean install. Again don't restart yet. Go and delete the folder C:\NVIDIA and then restart. Keep in mind this will delete any settings profiles from the NVIDIA control panel you have manually set up for games and applications, so be sure to back them up.

Again be sure to select the correct audio devices for P3D.

If this doesn't solve the issue I have to ask what your processor is. Could it be that you have a lot of addon scenerey and your CPU is getting crushed when landing? (like night-landing with lots of vector lights on etc.)

This is rather unlikely though.

It would also be helpful to know what kind of sound setup you are using (e.g. headphones with a jack on the m/b soundcard, or self-amplified USB headphones?)

Hi Rolph and Stathis,

You write about sound manager and priority. Where can I find that?

I captured the settings:

sound%20settings.png

From the video card I got the next info:

NVIDIA Systeeminformatierapport gecreëerd op: 05/23/2015 07:54:40
Systeemnaam: WVEENSTRA-PC
[beeldscherm]
Besturingssysteem: Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit
DirectX-versie: 11.0
GPU-processor: GeForce GTX 970
Stuurprogrammaversie: 352.86
Direct3D API versie: 11.2
Direct3D functieniveau: 11_1
CUDA-kernen: 1664
Kernklok: 1164 MHz
Geheugengegevenssnelheid: 7010 MHz
Geheugeninterface: 256-bit
Geheugenbandbreedte: 224.32 GB/s
Totaal beschikbaar grafisch geheugen: 12222 MB
Toegewezen videogeheugen: 4096 MB GDDR5
Videogeheugen systeem: 0 MB
Gedeeld systeemgeheugen: 8126 MB
Video BIOS-versie: 84.04.2F.00.70
IRQ: Not used
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
Apparaat-ID: 10DE 13C2 29743842
Onderdeelnummer: G401 0010
[Onderdelen]
NvGFTrayPluginr.dll 2.4.3.31 NVIDIA GeForce Experience
NvGFTrayPlugin.dll 2.4.3.31 NVIDIA GeForce Experience
nvui.dll 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 8.1.780.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 8.1.780.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA Video Server
NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.13.5286 NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.13.5286 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.13.5286 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module
nvDispSR.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX 09.15.0428 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.13.5286 NVIDIA CUDA 7.5.8 driver
nvGameSR.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 6.14.13.5286 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
Thanks in advance and best greetings,
Wil

I re-installed the Video driver (formerly I did an automatic installation) and did NOT install the 3D Vision driver, because I don't have 3D screens.

And just as you told, I removed the map c:/nvidia and then restarted the PC.

Next I started the flight, but again, just before descent the voice is gone. All the rest is there.

Regards,

Wil

I re-installed the Video driver (formerly I did an automatic installation) and did NOT install the 3D Vision driver, because I don't have 3D screens.

And just as you told, I removed the map c:/nvidia and then restarted the PC.

Next I started the flight, but again, just before descent the voice is gone. All the rest is there.

Regards,

Wil

Hello Wil,

everything seems to be ok the way I see your settings. Yes unfortunately you can't move them up and down the list it was my mistake,

I remembered incorrectly I possibly got confused with Linux.

That black arrow in the HDMI devices is troubling me though, it should be red if nothing is connected there or it may be that the card thinks audio is connected. Have you tried disabling the HDMI audio (I suppose you did).

Look at the picture below, how my hdmi sound devices look like after installing them.

f2rbep.png

I assume "niet aangesloten" means not plugged in. What does "Uitgeschakeld" mean? Does it mean switched off meaning you have disabled them? If yes then it's ok.

Out of curiosity, can you check the following?

Go to the tray in the bottom right and right click the windows sound icon (not the Realtek one if it's running). Then click "volume control options" (it should be the last option in the menu) and it will pop up a window

like the one below.

zvpl6d.png

Make sure the box that says to show devices that currently play sound is checked. Also UN-check the box that says to show the default sound device, if it is checked, and also uncheck any other devices in the list below it if they are checked. Un-check all of the devices, even your speakers. The only tick should be in the currently playing option.

Then start P3d in windowed mode, fly the flight and when the drop in sound happens left click on the sound icon in the tray. It should pop up a slider for your speakers only. Are there other devices listed there? (you can mouse over the icon above the slider to see which device it is). Normally, it should show only one, your speakers.

Another thing is does this happen in every flight? Or in a particular saved flight you are trying to finish? Have you tried a new flight, in another airport etc.?

And another thing. When you say voice you mean the voice of the pilots and the checklist, or the sound of the game in general?

Best,

Stathis

Ok, after the restart of my PC it appeared that the one with the black arrow was back again.

So, I removed it and then started the flight.

However, during the pushback the sound was gone again and as you said I inspected the sound control and there was nothing to find back of the one with the black arrow.

Greetings,

Wil

Ok, after the restart of my PC it appeared that the one with the black arrow was back again.

So, I removed it and then started the flight.

However, during the pushback the sound was gone again and as you said I inspected the sound control and there was nothing to find back of the one with the black arrow.

Greetings,

Wil

Hello Wil,

I can't really replicate your problem because I know which drivers I have installed and I also have never installed drivers from Windows update. This could be an issue with Windows sound management. Alternatively it could be a P3D issue. I know P3D v.2.4 had a lot of sound issues, but I believe

v.2.5 had them fixed, which is what you use.

It doesn't seem to me that this is related to a specific aircraft. I have had a similar issue in the past losing sound in games midway, but it was due to a mess up by the drivers and Windows and to resolve it I had to format the PC.

The only way to pinpoint the problem really is to perform a clean install of Windows and to never install drivers you don't use. So you would install NVidia drivers with the HD audio option unselected and leave those devices in

the device manager without a driver, so that they have a yellow exclamation mark. Another thing is to disable auto updating in Windows after reinstalling them and select the updates manually, making sure you never select the optional

windows driver for NVidia or any driver for that matter. Only install what you need manually from the drivers you can download at the manufacturer's site. This is what I had done and I had no sound issues ever since.

My bet really is with a driver mess up. But before you reach such a solution to pinpoint whether the problem is in Windows or in P3D, I would suggest looking through the P3D official forums and posting there as well for a solution.

There may be some troubleshooting procedure which we haven't thought of, or which could be specific to P3D.

Best,

Stathis

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Will, hi Stathis,

following your discussion it is now clear to me (as already pinpointed) that this seems not to be a problem of the Aerosoft Airbus. I therefore will close this thread as solved ........

Just some information from my side: I am using Windows 7 as well as P3D 2.5 and do not have any issue even that I use Windows automatic update feature...... I still believe that the main issue is that the selected devices in Windows and P3D should be the same. Also the sound option in the P3D view menu should be set to ON - even if this is OFF you hear certain sounds in P3D. Please find below a copy of my settings......

post-30406-0-19331400-1432457448_thumb.j

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Will, hi Stathis,

following your discussion it is now clear to me (as already pinpointed) that this seems not to be a problem of the Aerosoft Airbus. I therefore will close this thread as solved ........

Just some information from my side: I am using Windows 7 as well as P3D 2.5 and do not have any issue even that I use Windows automatic update feature...... I still believe that the main issue is that the selected devices in Windows and P3D should be the same. Also the sound option in the P3D view menu should be set to ON - even if this is OFF you hear certain sounds in P3D. Please find below a copy of my settings......

attachicon.gifWindows - P3D Sound Settings.jpg

in

Regards,

Rolf

Yes Rolf, I really can't think of some other way to pinpoint the problem, apart from reinstalling Windows and not installing any audio drivers, apart from the speakers if needed.

This way we could tell if the problem lies within P3D or Windows. It is also highly likely that something has been corrupted and could be fixed by performing a clean install. Also some addon may be

causing trouble and this has to be investigated thoroughly by you after you clean install everything.

If your speakers are powered by the USB it may also be that the USB enters power saving which you would have to disable from power options.

I really don't believe there is a connection with the Airbus. That would be the case if a particular sound was missing, but since it happens at different phases like approach or puch back, it

seems to me like a driver mix-up or corruption in some P3D files. Could it be that the window is losing focus and it mutes? I don't know. You can try leaving that unchecked in P3D and see if it works.

If nothing works for you and Rolf's settings don't work, take it to P3D forums and maybe someone can help you. After that if you don't find anything send me a PM to discuss options.

Dear Rolf and Stathis,

Many, many thanks. Your support is great!!

This is why Aerosoft is great!

And guess what. This morning, coming out bed, I got suddenly an idea.

In one of my earlier post (with the pictures) you can see the handsfree Jabra Clipper headphone telling that the connection is broken (Dutch: verbinding verbroken).

Well, I thought, let me put it on (with a button on the device) and look what happens.

Automatically the sound is directed to this wireless headphone.

I started the flight and although the sound was connected and the High Definition Audio device disconnected, I could hear the sounds from the airplane coming from my normal speakers.

During the checklist was going on I couldn't hear any voice and decided to switch off the Jabra device again. Immediately the voice was there. That was enough.

So, in the Device Manager of Windows I switched the Jabra device off.

Now it tells me that it switched and the connection broken. Great. I restarted my PC to check if would remain. That was ok. So, when I need the device I switch it on (e.g. when using Netflix).

Then I started everything again an made the complete flight LOWI to LFMN from the step-by-step guide.

Guess what, EVERYTHING WORKED OK!

The Jabra device was the culprit.

Thanks again for the great help. It is really solved now :)

Great regards,

Wil

Archived