Can't thermal with ask21

vdj555

Hi everyone,

First of all i want to congratulate everyone at Specific-3d-Design on creating this wonderful glider!

I do have one problem though an I'm not sure if it's pilot error or a problem with my addon.

Everytime when I try to thermal in a good bubble i can't seem to find lift, only a little bit less sink/no sink at best in a great thermal (idicated by birds through my registered version of cumulusX)

I also have your discusB without any problems and I'm familIar with Condor so i would say I know somewhat how to find and stay in the bubble ;)

But I don't fly gliders in real life (thinking of starting this year..) so it could very well be that there is something different I should do with the ask21.

To give you some information about my situation:

I installed the ask21 with administrator rights

I have cumulusX installed (registered)

I have the discusB and in the same thermal I get 4.0 m/s lift

I have the dimona TMG and in the same thermal i get about 2m/s lift or so

In the ask21 i get no postive lift!

Also my fsx realism settings are set per manual recommendations

I do use active sky next to set up my weather conditions but it doesn't seem to matter wether I use it or not.

I'm really stumped here But something's up ;)

'Till i find a solution it's pattern practice is Suppose :)

Greetings,

Vincent

Hmm, this sounds strange.

You should get more or less the same climb rate as in the Discus. The aircraft cannot decide if it climbs or not. Maybe Peter has a solution, I will forward the post.

Bests, Joachim

Hi Vincent,

indeed, very strange. Could you post a screenshot of such situation with a cockpit view on the instruments including the motor control unit and CumulusX! debug window on it? See a sample attached. Please indicate also FSX version.

post-24548-0-33458500-1430647144_thumb.j

best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter/Joachim for looking into this.

I also thought that the climb rates should be more or less similar between the ask21 and the discus.

I do have to say that I usually fly with a Fully loaded plane so weight might be a factor, although I usually fly the pure glider version so no extra engine weight ;)

I have made a little testflight in good conditions and I noticed that although cumulusX says I am in lift, the plane doesn't climb.

Anyway I hope you guys can make more of this ;)

By the way the fsx version I'm using is acceleration

Regards,

Vincent

Thanks Peter/Joachim for looking into this.

I also thought that the climb rates should be more or less similar between the ask21 and the discus.

I do have to say that I usually fly with a Fully loaded plane so weight might be a factor, although I usually fly the pure glider version so no extra engine weight ;)

I have made a little testflight in good conditions and I noticed that although cumulusX says I am in lift, the plane doesn't climb.

Anyway I hope you guys can make more of this ;)

post-27097-0-56160300-1430665030_thumb.j

By the way the fsx version I'm using is acceleration

Regards,

Vincent

PS.

I also made a screenshot while gliding to a new thermal, and I noticed that my speed to fly is very high even when I select a mc of 0.0, is this normal?

post-27097-0-18422000-1430666600_thumb.j

Hi Vincent,

this looks really weird, sink is much higher than it should be.

Speed-to-fly (STF) is bascially ok, since the instrument interprets the exta sink of the aircraft as a downdraft which results into high STF.

Do you possibly have mapped an axis, or some hardware controls to the flaps?

best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

That was it I think!

I looked at my fsx control settings and i couldn't find any mapping to my flaps but when i looked in fsuipc i saw that while i dindn't have an axis mapped, there was calibration information there so I think that may have been the culprit!

I tried a quick flight and immediately the aircraft performed more like a glider instead of the space shuttle coming back for landing!

I want to thank you for your quick response and helpful answer!

regards,

VIncent

Archived