VAS usage Split-x

sydney1962

Hello,

have problem with vas usage of airport, when loaded default aircraft vas amount used is already

3.2 gb, after loading airbus aerosoft or pmdg OOM error appear after 1 minute, or aircraft

is not loaded at all ( like pmdg B737NGX or B777 )

have prepar3d installed but think that FSX will use same amount of vas.

sliders already reduced to min and use SD-texture instaed of HD-texture

are there more people with this issue ?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Sydney,

you continue to ask this question in other Split X related topics. What about just staying in this one, and trying to work it out?

A good start would be to answer my previous question.

Especially as I already read numbers of less than 3 GB VAS of other users.

Hello Tom,

I am sorry to say but I am great fan of aerosoft products but last 2 updates airbus SP3 and Split-X , make me

unhappy, have not made 1 complete flight without troubles, and everytime I like to fly from split I got OOM

errors.

have running process explorer and Fsuipc to see what going on with vas usage, but when I already

start with 3.4 gb the limit is very soon there.

I have lots of addon scenery active , but have only these problems at London Heathrow X

hope that future airports that come this year have options to lower VAS usage if needed when

flying with heavy aircrafts there ( Pmdg , Ifly, Aerosoft)

If you have good suggestion how to lower VAS pls let me know.

rgds

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, there is one golden suggestion: deactivate all scenery you are not going to fly in. Even though you might be far away from an active airport in your scenery list, and even though FSX of course doesn't display anything of it, it still loads parts of the scenery into memory.

I find the SimStarter (http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105) extremely helpful to only have those airports active I really need for a single flight. You set up everything before you start the sim, and therefore don't waste time with all the reloading FSX is doing when you manipulate the scenery list.

thanks for your advise, but don't fly FSX anymore, after seen prepar3d V2.4.

I am not sure programs like simstarter and other tools designed for tweaking fsx

are working good in prepar3d

also have some 400 entries in my scenery library and have no VAS issues except

with Heathrow , Orly and Split, and they appear already when standing on gate for 10 minutes.

and they are mentioned in many forums.

so I think split will be no airbus or pmdg airport for me.

have read your guide, and there were useful tips inside. but when airport alone already produces

2.8 gb without installing aircraft like pmdg or airbus, OOM is soon reached.

I'm confused now.

I remember talk in the preview topic for Split, that the add-on would feature a new system of loading scenery outside the memory of fsx, thus avoiding OOM's.

Did I dream that, or what has come of it?

Edit:

Found the answer. Seems like Aerosoft was too hasty in anouncing it for this specific scenery. It is not include.

Shame...

It seems to me that developers are doing a great job making airports realistic and eyecandy. Thats nice but that is also bringing us closer to the VAS-limit. It is really frustraiting running into a OOM during descent after a long flight. Given the high end computers available VAS is soon the only problem that I am facing. Until there is a 64bit version of p3d you should make yor effort in reducing VAS before beauty. Thats my opinion :) Btw, I have not tried Split but I dont think the users here are making up stories. VAS is becoming the main problem.

(...)

also have some 400 entries in my scenery library and have no VAS issues except

with Heathrow , Orly and Split, and they appear already when standing on gate for 10 minutes.

and they are mentioned in many forums.

(...)

Split is not in a ballpark with the London or Paris area. Less airports around, less AI traffic, and less "cityscape" around Split. Your VAS issue needs to be looked into. Do you have other sceneries for the area active when using Split, for example?

Karsten,

Even theAPcontroller is loaded, once you are more then 20 miles from the airport it enters the standby mode and unloads all the objects it loaded for given airport.

That's the feature which helps avoid OOM.

So please do not switch off the APcontroller if you have not issues.

One more point - APcontroller is not a service. And when you can see it in task manager it is active. The issue will be somewhere else.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/94704-split-x-no-lights/?p=675764

my VAS usage is at 2.9GB, and this is with Airbus X, FTX Global, Vector, Global open LC and very high settings. :D

@sydney1962 whats your VAS at Split when the Scenery isn't activated?

• Deputy Sheriffs

thanks for your advise, but don't fly FSX anymore, after seen prepar3d V2.4.

I am not sure programs like simstarter and other tools designed for tweaking fsx

are working good in prepar3d

I am on Prepr3d v2.5, use the SimStarter for quite a while now and haven't seen any OOMs for quite a long time now. It lets you create profiles you can chose from when starting the sim.

So I have profiles for VFR (higher details) and IFR (lower details), day (without AS Night Environments) or night (with AS Night Environments), for different countries and so on... Within a profile you can setup sceneries, FSX/P3D settings and even ASN settings.

Sydney, could you please send me following files to email 'support at xht-labs dot com':

Scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg, dll.xml and exe.xml

Thanks, Premek

I Did a Process explorer on the PMDG NG rwy 5 with no airport installed, in the VC VAS was 1265 and after going though all views VAS was 1401

Re-installed Split X

Rwy 5 PMDG NG in VC VAS was 2226 and after all view 2467, so the airport seems to use 1gb of VAS, seems a lot for a small airport imo.

But if your upto 3.2 the problem is your end.

Like others have said and like I say in my guild TURN OFF ALL UN USED SCENERY.

one question, do you use split in FSX or P3D because I know that same scenery loaded

give different VAS amounts.

maybe it can also be a reason that I installed split via migration tool as fsx in prepar3d

because when installed direct via installer option prepar v2. I am missing all lights

and some other objects handled by apcontrol.

but untill this light issue has been fixed ( see other threads)

• 3 months later...

Rwy 5 PMDG NG in VC VAS was 2226 and after all view 2467, so the airport seems to use 1gb of VAS, seems a lot for a small airport imo.

Is this still the case? 1/4 of the whole VAS for an airport is way way too much. I was just about to buy this one.

Archived