SP3 and Vectored Approach

marcus300zx

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I updated my FSX fleet from my Trusty Avro RJ to shiny new Airbus's. Was really enjoying the airbus until 4 days ago when I was flying my route back from EGPE to EGGD.

Firstly I searched and found I wasn't the only one having issues with the Approach Checklist not kicking in, but found the work around in deleting waypoints I would not pass, but that in itself has been interesting.

On my 4th attempt of flying the route I did manage to land but what a horrible flight.

Attempt 1. Having set an identical airbus and FSX flight plan for IFR flight using onlineflightplanner.org the ATC decided to direct me on heading 145 towards france and refused to direct me towards my flightplan.

Attempt 2. Tried a VFR flight using SIDS and Stars with inputting approach into aircraft, was rubbish at it and plane just lined up too high and close to runway to descend.

Attempt 3: Back to IFR flight plan and using the delete points method (first Try) which ran through approach checklist too early and then when descending both engine cut out and we all crashed.

Attempt 4: Tried again (this time landed) but ATC descended me to 2500 between Bristol and Birmingham (quite early I thought) and the plane really struggled to maintain speed and height (both were fluctuating) I think it was again because the Approach checklist had

kicked in to early so plane was at full flaps with the gear down. Anyway it was not fun.

Was about to dump the Airbus for this route (its fine Bristol - Malaga route) and go back to my Avro, but I have now seen SP3 has been released.

What's changed in SP3 in regards to the approach checklist?

Still love the plane BTW just wished it approached on this route like my Avro does

Hi Marcus,

1. A complete list of all changes in SP3 you will find in the document "readMe_130.txt" in ....\FSX\Aerosoft\Airbus A318_319 or ....\FSX\Aerosoft\Airbus A320_321
  2. To the Vol6 StepbyStep guide a new chapter 6 VECTOR APPROACH has been added
  3. There is also a tutorial video on this subject available - please see the thread http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/94025-video-vector-approach-with-sp3/

This example vector approach is based on the input from a RW-pilot who often flies an Airbus into LFMN..... so it shows the reality. I do not use any "artifical" ATC so I cannot tell if there might be differences.

Regards,

Rolf

Although the Dir to method confused me (as I have no idea how you got the information to input into the MCDU), the video was very helpful. I can manually activate the Approach setting and the video now shows me at what point of the flight to do this. Also from the flight at 18m juddering its seems that it wasn't a bug with my plane but this is normal for the aircraft.

Thanks I can now go back to artificial ATC and enjoy my flights (once I install the update)

Hi Marcus,

first you should update to 1.30 because with previous versions the DIRECT TO and RADIAL do not work as required. What do you mean with "how you got the information". It is quite easy. If ATC "wants" a vector approach it means that I will get vectors until catching the localizer.

1. In such cases a DIR TO to the FAP / FAF (which I will get from the charts) is used. In my tutorial flight and for LFMN ILS04L this is NI122.
  2. The approach course or runway direction for LFMN ILS04L is 44°. From NI122 the RADIAL IN (always seen/calculated from the DIR TO waypoint) is then 44 + 180° = 224

Regards,

Rolf.

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the info. I dint know the Dir To info as I don't use charts (I reply on the FSX ATC to instruct me in using IFR Flights). Basically I sync the aircraft and FSX flight plans by downloading the same plan for both. I get atc clearance which gives me a height (input into autopilot) and take off from the runway I am told to do so by ATC. I then fly runway heading, managed speed and alt autopilot. The ATC then instruct me to fly different heading which then bring me in line with my loaded flight plan at which time ATC instruct "follow own course" and I click heading to managed so plane now follows flight plan. Then usually 20 miles from TOD, ATC gives me instructions from there on in and I follow the Heading and Atl ATC gives me and input the runway ATC give me into the MCU. These instructions vector me in on approach for the correct runway I am landing. Its an amature way of doing things, but it follows a realistic feeling flight plan and I have to spend very little time reading bits of paper and more time enjoying the flight.

I did fly last night using the delete waypoint method (This time actually deleting the waypoints at the correct time) and the flight was great, approach checklist kicked in just when I wanted it to.

Hi Marcus,

just one additional tip. The FAP/FAF is at the of the flightplan e.g. just before the runway. It is mainly the first one of those waypoints with an altitude constraint before the runway. I believe to use DIR TO to this waypoint is much easier because you do not have to manually clean the flightplan.

Regards,

Rolf.

Archived