twin otter engine burn out in flight?

philthy phil

please help with engine burn out in mid flight

what am I doing wrong , both engines burn out in mid flight , all panels seem fine numbers are good but engines catch fire after about 10 min in flight ?, I do check list start up ?

Philthy Phil

what am I doing wrong , both engines burn out in mid flight , all panels seem fine numbers are good but engines catch fire after about 10 min in flight ?

You need to keep the T5 gauges out of the red! Also keep the torque gauges below the red tick marks. That should do it. (Going through the checklist won't make any difference.)

As a helper You can open up the checklist gauge and go to the config page.

There You have the torque gauges combined with two indicators for T5 temperature in the middle.

As long as the two torque needles aren´t red and the T5 indicatores neither, thenn Your good to go.

There are two blue marks on the torque gauges, they show max continious alowable torque.

Finn

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the 3 bladed props, but when we fly the 4 bladed props we typically never even get close to the yellow unless the margins are really low on the engine and it's geting close to a hot section or compressor wash/Fuel control inspection.

When the engines are relatively new (I say that because we use trend monitoring to keep from having to do 1800 and 3600 hour hot section and overhauls on our engines) we see on start with a crappy gpu temps that get up to the yellow. I've only seen 1 start ever get up to 825°C and that was due to a strong tail wind and a poorly charged batter start cart. typically starts don't get above 600-650.

On take off I have had instances of getting up to the yellow at computed torque (again the magins on the engine were low) but never over temp'd. I've had planes firewalled at full rated take-off torque and at the yellow but never over temp. I've had planes not make torque and be high on temp but again never over temp. I adjusted the values in my FDE post to match nicely to our aircraft.

That's my 0.02c

Archived