Hamachi (or any VPN) Security Risk Warning

Joshua Che.

Gentlemen,

Introduction
This is a warning to all using VPN that connecting via Hamachi or any VPN security can bring a security risk to your computer. Hamachi essentially tunnels a direct connection path to your computer bypassing NAT firewalls and other security layers.

Why is that a danger?

There is a possibility that either computers (you or the person you are connecting to) have a undetected malware or rootkit. Such malware/rookit with the firewall layer missing can potentially spread across without your knowledge.

What other alternatives do I have?
Currently, the only alternative that is present is to use Port Forwarding. Using Port forwarding opens up a "hole" in your router to allow incoming connections to connect on that specific ports. Note that this is safer, but not 100% safe. You can find guides on how to do this on the internet.

What if I have no other choice but to use Hamachi?
If you have no other alternatives but to use Hamachi, use several layers of security to protect your computer. Consider Hamachi as your last resort.

Basic Security Tips:
1. Get a Antivirus with active subscription.
2. Use a firewall that blocks all incoming connections and add port and program exclusions for CFD.
3. Turn on Hamachi only when you fly CFD.
4. Fly with people you trust.

For more information, you can read about the risk of such connections in detail here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6169

I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Archived