Autopilot

Chaders

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with Height Hold on the autopilot. I'm pretty sure I'm engaging it correctly as the HDG mode will follow the selected heading. Attitude hold also seems not to work on my system as the little stick has no affect. Ant ideas??

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with Height Hold on the autopilot. I'm pretty sure I'm engaging it correctly as the HDG mode will follow the selected heading. Attitude hold also seems not to work on my system as the little stick has no affect. Ant ideas??

Have you run through the procedures outlined in the "autoflight " post earlier on in this section ? It should all be working (the little stick adjusts rate of climb or descent when in height hold ).

DR

Hi,

Yeah the first thing I did was read all the topics here. I even switched on the tool tips and saw that the V/S was changing with the mini-stick (Shame it doesn't always reset so the index marking is 0fpm). Despite me winding in some ridiculous vertical speeds I was getting no response in pitch from the AP. The heading will follow the bug, it's just the pitch channel I'm struggling with. I also disabled my stick during the flight to see if pitch spikes were causing an issue.

I've been doing the RTW flight and have so far had to hand fly the lot (just as well it's so nice to fly) so there's been no sneaking off for a cuppa ;)

Hi

Yeah the first thing I did was read all the topics here. I even switched on the tool tips and saw that the V/S was changing with the mini-stick (Shame it doesn't always reset so the index marking is 0fpm). Despite me winding in some ridiculous vertical speeds I was getting no response in pitch from the AP. The heading will follow the bug, it's just the pitch channel I'm struggling with. I also disabled my stick during the flight to see if pitch spikes were causing an issue.

I've been doing the RTW flight and have so far had to hand fly the lot (just as well it's so nice to fly) so there's been no sneaking off for a cuppa ;)

Hi Richard

Sorry you are having trouble, but if you are able to get heading on the AP there can't be much wrong.

I have just had a flight to reapraise my self with the autopilot ..... been a while since I last used it ! :0)

A couple of things to remember :- the aircraft will automatically break out of AP if the controls are moved past a certain distance, and once that has happened the AP needs to be reset ( deselect all selections plus power at the box and on the stick ).

In normal flight level and stabilise the aircraft and ensure the power switch is on at the AP box then select AP on the stick (rt click/down) , zero the climb rate on the little stick (no automatic resetting, it stays where the last pilot who flew the aircraft left it in real life !), then select " height " . Nothing much will happen , but if you make slight movements of the joystick you will see you have roll control but no pitch ,( this is the acid test really .... don't overdo it though or you will break out !)

If you adjust the climb rate on the little stick and look at the Flight Director you should see the indicator bead moving up or down accordingly , and the aircraft will (slowly) settle into its new climb/descent , you are flying on trim so it is quite subtle. If you select height hold whilst in a ballistic climb it's going to take a looong time to settle.

At least that is what is supposed to happen !

Cheers

Dave R

• 2 months later...

A detailed and slow video would help many of us, rather than text explanations with static images. It would be easier to watch, pause, take notes etc than opening a forum post from the bottom bar of the screen.

Can anyone do such a video and upload it?

A detailed and slow video would help many of us, rather than text explanations with static images. It would be easier to watch, pause, take notes etc than opening a forum post from the bottom bar of the screen.

Can anyone do such a video and upload it?

Hi Jinx

I don't have the ability to create a video, but if there are any budding Spielbergs out there ......by all means have at it !

The fact you have asked for this though implies you are having trouble .

The manual and the explanations above give the switching sequence , but I think people expect the aircraft to react to " Height" in a similar manner to switching in "Heading" ... it won't.

With height hold you should level off at the altitude you want and then switch in "Height "......so nothing should happen ! Then if you want to make a controlled climb /descent dial that in on the "Little Stick"

If you are climbing /descending when you switch "Height" .... the VSI will slowly zero and the aircraft level off , but it won't be at , or return to the altitude where you made the selection.

Hope that might be of some help

DR

• 3 months later...

Archived