OPUSFSI and PFPX

Bonjour,

I use OPUSFSI as weather engine.

I like it very much, the only problem is that it is not integrated with PFPX.

I have already contacted the OPUSFSI developer and they answered that they are ready to provide everything that is needed by PFPX for the integration.

This is important as now they have a very good facility called Global weather, which allow to save the weather and reload it further. But in this case the synchro between OPUSFSI and PFPX through NOAA servers is not possible.

Could you please contact them and see what can be done. The OPUSFSI team development is very efficient and there will be, I am sure, no problem.

They already have just decided to provided data for flight planning tool as described here.

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic43213_post324261.html#324261

I hope PFPX will be able to integrate OPUSFSI !

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Claude

For information...

With the last OPUSFSI beta 4.49.1, I have just note that GRIB and METAR data for the whole word are provided.

I hope this will facilitate the integration with PFPX

Best regards

Claude

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if integration is necessary as both PFPX and Opus use the same weather source so flight plans in PFPX are pretty accurate if you use Opus weather. Once flying there may be a few differences as time goes on but this happens in the real world too. I've never had too much of a problem using them together.

Larry

Bonjour
@larryisenor 
Yes you are right, when using the live weather engine, the grib data between OPUS and PFPX should be the same.
Today OPUSFSI have the facility to save whole word weather data, and inject it later in FSX. Of course in this case the synchronization with PFPX is not possible.

@conchuilio 
Some months ago I asked Opus if it was possible to export their data, grib and metar for the entire world. They did it very quickly.
Of course I also asked PFPX if it was possible to import the OPUS data. I did it through the ticket system.
They answered that they 'll contact Opus and will do the integration in the future.
Some months later, nothing has changed and no contact has been taken between PFPX and Opus.
Through the ticket system I asked PFPX if there is a chance to see one day the integration, but I didn't get any answer.
It seems like not many of PFPX customers use Opus weather engine, so we can understand it is not their priority.
If I was PFPX, I will provide a standard structure to exchange weather data.
Best regards
Claude

Today OPUSFSI have the facility to save whole word weather data, and inject it later in FSX. Of course in this case the synchronization with PFPX is not possible.

Best regards

Claude

Is this a snapshot of the weather at a specific time and as the plane progresses on it's flight the saved weather is injected into to FSX based upon where the plane is located? If it is, synchronization would not be possible even if OPUS and PFPX collaborated.

Bonjour
@larryisenor 
Yes you are right, when using the live weather engine, the grib data between OPUS and PFPX should be the same.

@conchuilio 
Some months ago I asked Opus if it was possible to export their data, grib and metar for the entire world. They did it very quickly.
Of course I also asked PFPX if it was possible to import the OPUS data. I did it through the ticket system.
They answered that they 'll contact Opus and will do the integration in the future.
Some months later, nothing has changed and no contact has been taken between PFPX and Opus.
Through the ticket system I asked PFPX if there is a chance to see one day the integration, but I didn't get any answer.
It seems like not many of PFPX customers use Opus weather engine, so we can understand it is not their priority.
If I was PFPX, I will provide a standard structure to exchange weather data.
Best regards
Claude

thx for the clarification CTroncy. I´m not so sure if PFPX is not implementing Opus due to lack of useage given the fact that they offer REX and FSGRW as alternative weather sources; two weather engines i hardly know any people use. I hardly know any people in the online community but i do know a lot of people irl who are long-time FS users and they have almost always used  HiFi products or Opus... but well, it is as it is...Well, i guess more airmenship necessary to get fuel calc right ;-)

nonetheless i appreciate your effort you put into contacting pfpx directly, very nice!

best,

Dominik

• 3 weeks later...

@pcubine
Hello Michael, and thank you for your answer,

Is this a snapshot of the weather at a specific time and as the plane progresses on it's flight the saved weather is injected into to FSX based upon where the plane is located? If it is, synchronization would not be possible even if OPUS and PFPX collaborated.

I only use PFPX before departure to plan the route and calculate the most accurate fuel on board. I take in consideration the longest SID ans STAR, so what I think is important are the GRIB data.

I do not see the need to synchronize PFPX with the weather engine once the plane is en route, as for me at this time PFPX has finished it's job.

May be there is something I do not understand.

Best regards

Claude

I have both PFPX and OpusFSI. Both are using NOAA online so there is no need to integrate. I have no problems, what PFPX gives me about weather/winds and fuel calc it is most of the time spot on. Maybe fuel is only a 1-200 kilo off.

I have most of the latest HiFi aircrafts like PMDG, Majestic and so on.

/Per W

Sweden

Thank you Perwel, for the answer.

I understand and agree with what you said. But how do you manage the past global weather provided by OPUSFSI ?
This can be done with ASN but not with OPUSFSI.

Cheers

Claude

I have both PFPX and OpusFSI. Both are using NOAA online so there is no need to integrate. I have no problems, what PFPX gives me about weather/winds and fuel calc it is most of the time spot on. Maybe fuel is only a 1-200 kilo off.

I have most of the latest HiFi aircrafts like PMDG, Majestic and so on.

/Per W

Sweden

I think misunderstand the reason for the synch between opus and pfpx. You only get weather/winds as long as you have a server subscription OR you´re synched with a weather engine. Hence, as long as you have, e.g. ASN, you will have the winds/weather even without sever subscription but not when using opus. Thus, as an opus user, the fuel calculations of pfpx without server subscription can be way off as they are calculated with no winds at all. If opus could be integrated with PFPX such that it can read winds data from opus and include them in the calculations for the necessary fuel amounts would be very practical, especially considering the fact that they provide this feature for ASN and FSGRW already...

Personally i can not understand/comprehend why this has not been provided in the first place :huh:

best

dominik

Personally i can not understand/comprehend why this has not been provided in the first place

You'll see mentioned elsewhere through this forum that OPUS did not provide the required data at the time when PFPX was developed. Possibly it will get added 'when' the developer has time to integrate it.

Even with ASN/FSGRW I still use PFPX online weather for planning.

You'll see mentioned elsewhere through this forum that OPUS did not provide the required data at the time when PFPX was developed. Possibly it will get added 'when' the developer has time to integrate it.

Thanks for the explanation stephen,

actually, the opus developer has already made the access to process the weather engine´s weather data available already. I don´t want to directly quote the developer but you can find his statement under the "Coming soon" topic in the opus forum.

Well, seems like waiting is the only option "if" it´s ever going to be integrated<_<

best

dominik

Thank you Perwel, for the answer.

I understand and agree with what you said. But how do you manage the past global weather provided by OPUSFSI ?
This can be done with ASN but not with OPUSFSI.

Cheers

Claude

I just set fsx clock and date to where I want and if the date is not today it will fetch the weather from that date. I never use it but I have tried it a couple of times but I do not see any use for it. I am flying "now" so why not get the current weather?

You are right, and OPUS provided data in march at my request. Now I can understand it is not a priority for PFPX developper and may be those data doesn't suit to PFPX.

I was just looking for news, as PFPX told me they will integrate OPUS in the future.

Best regards

Claude

I just set fsx clock and date to where I want and if the date is not today it will fetch the weather from that date. I never use it but I have tried it a couple of times but I do not see any use for it.

Bonjour Perwel,

I did not know that OPUSFSI and PFPX was able to fetch past weather data. How do you do that ?
I think I have a lot of things to learn.

I do not see any use for it. I am flying "now" so why not get the current weather?

When I find a weather which interest me... Snow, heavy thunderstorm... jetstream. I like to save it and fly again in the same condition.

Best regards

Claude

Bonjour Perwel,

I did not know that OPUSFSI and PFPX was able to fetch past weather data. How do you do that ?
I think I have a lot of things to learn.

When I find a weather which interest me... Snow, heavy thunderstorm... jetstream. I like to save it and fly again in the same condition.

Best regards

Claude

Have never tried to import weather into PFPX. As I said I always fly now and always get the weather as it is now. Feels more realistic. So from what I have read here and there there is no way to import weather to PFPX from OpusFSI. Only ASN can

do that. I do have ASN but I have seen many times that the weather is way off from what PFPX gave me and the reason is that ASN current online weather is an hour behind. And also the clouds that ASN injects is many time not realistic. OpusFSI

clouds/weather looks a lot more realistic. One eg. is Overcast, Opus does that far better. So I have stopped using ASN. OpusFSI also have cameras that works prefect, their turbulence effect is very realistic. So I have two products in one.

So if you want to import weather to PFPX go for ASN. But if you want weather as it is exactly right now out in the real world go for OpusFSI. And if you also plan with PFPX online weather they will match, you can trust PFPX weather report. You wil

get that weather from OpusFSI. That is the reason I use those two, always match and are spot on.

/Per

Sweden

Hello Per,

Funny but just one minute away from your post I did, on another post, mention PFPX and ASN and gave results showing how the two are very close. So I believe OPUS and ASN are very close as well.

JP

Archived