New Flight Sim Being Developed

DetCord

Hey all, I'm the one that made the post. The screenshots were taken from world comp (I said this directly in the main post), this is the tool we have been using to generate the texture files for the FS World prototype. The idea was to show you what's possible with the tool we are using to give you an idea of what we intend to create with it (this was said in the main post as well "to give you an idea of what we're going for.")

This is not a scam, and cannot possibly be a scam since we are not asking for money. We wanted opinions to gauge interest in a project.

For everyone saying we are in over our head - let me be very clear. We have been making video games for many years. For this game, we started off by trying to ask people what they want out of a modern flight sim by giving examples (ie PMDG-style aircraft, working airports etc). When it comes time to actually start making those assets and functions we will create a schedule for how long each aspect of it will take. We will then compare that to our budget and create a plan for how to best achieve our goals. If any part of those goals are unreasonable or unachievable given our resources, we will scale the project back and re-evaluate our needs. This is very normal when making games, and every studio that has ever made a game goes through this.

Our list of things we wanted was *not* a list of promises. It was a list of wants. When we enter the planning phase, wants will change into goals, and that's when we scale the project up or down based on time and budget. Please don't get ahead of yourselves claiming we will fail on something we have not even begun to start. :)

EDIT: I made a video to address these points. Check it out here:

I was hesitant to step in on this, because I know people can be passionate, and I don't want to be in the path of any gathering mobs, but I sometimes suspect we have become so accustomed to how its done in the FSX/X-plane world that we behave as if the way they were created and evolved is the one and only possible path to a sim. It could well be that these folks may not proceed with a flight sim for any number of reasons, but chasing them off with a stick right at the start is borderline insane.

Lets put away the past, a bit, at least for a while, and see what happens?

What is there to lose, exactly?

I dont want to ruin your day here but --

1. these screenshots were taken from an addon for Unity Game Engine called "Terrain Composer" -- LINK: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7065
  2. Unity Game Engine?? Really?

I have developed on that and many other platforms and without full access and change of Unity's base code it is just not fit for purpose when it comes to proper simulation. You are much better off writing your own or using the likes of CryEngine etc. (thats going to be expensive tho)

Hey all, I'm the one that made the post. The screenshots were taken from world comp (I said this directly in the main post), this is the tool we have been using to generate the texture files for the FS World prototype. The idea was to show you what's possible with the tool we are using to give you an idea of what we intend to create with it (this was said in the main post as well "to give you an idea of what we're going for.

http://www.terraincomposer.com/worldcomposer/

So far, there seems to be no conflict.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hey all, I'm the one that made the post. The screenshots were taken from world comp (I said this directly in the main post), this is the tool we have been using to generate the texture files for the FS World prototype. The idea was to show you what's possible with the tool we are using to give you an idea of what we intend to create with it (this was said in the main post as well "to give you an idea of what we're going for.")

This is not a scam, and cannot possibly be a scam since we are not asking for money. We wanted opinions to gauge interest in a project.

For everyone saying we are in over our head - let me be very clear. We have been making video games for many years. For this game, we started off by trying to ask people what they want out of a modern flight sim by giving examples (ie PMDG-style aircraft, working airports etc). When it comes time to actually start making those assets and functions we will create a schedule for how long each aspect of it will take. We will then compare that to our budget and create a plan for how to best achieve our goals. If any part of those goals are unreasonable or unachievable given our resources, we will scale the project back and re-evaluate our needs. This is very normal when making games, and every studio that has ever made a game goes through this.

Our list of things we wanted was *not* a list of promises. It was a list of wants. When we enter the planning phase, wants will change into goals, and that's when we scale the project up or down based on time and budget. Please don't get ahead of yourselves claiming we will fail on something we have not even begun to start. :)

Scott, without any disrespect ... your initial post on reddit states misleading info. You state that the shots are yours yet those shots are from the render engine you use. If you guys really are going to create a new sim than best of luck and I'll keep my eye out and hope you guys know what 'job' you're getting into as it's not a simple task and requires a lot of money. This community has recently seen a couple of scams and therefore people become sceptical on projects like this.

• Aerosoft

DarkForge, without the intention to add petrol to a fire, making those kind of screenshots is not complex but getting it to work inside a flight simulator is the hard part. Just finding a display engine that can handle a round world and sightlines of 200 Km with a license that you want has caused several of these projects to falter. That's why MS was able to sell the very old and seriously buggy code of FSX and FLIGHT for good money. It was because the functionality is not found in any other code at this moment (expect X-Plane and that's not for sale).

And the ideas posted are simply rather unrealistic. Just the systems in a complex aircraft like a 777 take four years of development by a very rare type of developer, one that understands complex electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and digital systems, knows a lot about aviation and it a crack C++ developer. believe me, Finding one of those is not easy. And that is just for the systems in one aircraft.

We would love a new open simulator, but as we have worked with them (even to help created them, a lot of the content in FSX was done by us) we do have an impression on the complexity and costs. So that's why the images did not really mean a lot to us, show us some code of how the EGT on the starting APU depends on the air temperature and pressure and it will impress us a lot more. Doing those kinds of things shows you are doing a serious simulator and not a game. See that's the level of detail we (and PMDG) are dealing with and that's what you say you want to include in the base simulator. And that's what I say is not realistic.

Guess they made a warm welcome with the flight sim, erm, community by now.

It's not that they've stated the origin of their shots clearly in their OP, albeit only in text, which isn't what people usually jump at. :rolleyes: Avoiding pitchfork mode.

When some folks with experience in the gaming world take the question of a future sim seriously, I would welcome them, although I do agree that their goals are ambitious to say the least. I recall a German flight sim company announcing their own sim some years ago, can't remember the name. That project went silent but it seems like it left a mark.

Archived