ASK 21 A few Questions.

Tigerclaw

I hope it's all right to start a new topic here?

I've just bought the ASK 21, and had a quick look, aswell as looking through the manual.

I have a few questions that the manual doesn't clarify.

1) What did you do with the reflections? They are absolutely AWESOME! I did a fast dive and waves appeared in front of me on the canopy, truly amazing. ( I use FSX Accelleration in DX10 mode with the fixer).

2) Why no PDA or GPS? I've put a default Garmin 295 in a pop up window, so will it link to the C4 like it does in the Discus X?

I haven't really "flown" it yet, just did a few circuits, tested the self launch engine, and threw it around a bit. First impressions are awesome job, and I will give it a good testing over the weekend. Really like what I see so far :-)

Edited, deleted question 1) as I've found the Rudder peddles in the front.

Hello everybody, yesterday bought the ASK 21 , but I have a problem , the radio does not work , I can not tune the frequencies , the wheel button and nothing happens. I wish someone would help me solve this problem. Greetings to all.

Almor Candeias

I hope it's all right to start a new topic here?

Of course it is :-)

1) Where are you supposed to fly this Glider from, the Front, or Back seat?

I ask because the front doesn't have rudder peddles, and the back doesn't have a transponder in the Mi version. The transponder is in the front, but as I said, no rudder peddles.

From the front seat. And yes, it has rudder pedals in the front seat of course.

3) Why no PDA or GPS? I've put a default Garmin 295 in a pop up window, so will it link to the C4 like it does in the Discus X?

I think so, yes, The C4 system uses the FSX internal GPS system.

Hello everybody, yesterday bought the ASK 21 , but I have a problem , the radio does not work , I can not tune the frequencies , the wheel button and nothing happens. I wish someone would help me solve this problem. Greetings to all.

Try the mouse wheel.

Bests, Joachim

I was typing as you were Joachim, I found the rudder peddles. My eye position was high enough that I couldn't see them. When I had a look around with EZDok, I found them (doh).

Almor: Assuming the radio is on, and you have a frequency in the little LCD screen, then there are TWO knobs at the bottom of the radio, one "Inner" knob, and one "Outer" knob. As Joachim says, you use the mouse wheel to "Rotate" these knobs. The Inner knob changes the KHz, and the Outer knob changes the MHz. If you don't have a mouse wheel, or something else has control of it, then you can also Left and Right mouse click theses knobs.

Very nice glider, I have had a few enjoyable flights already. Would it be possible to add the portable Aerosoft PDA GPS from the Discus in an update (as an option)? I really liked the topography view + wind data it presented. A little thing I noticed was the spoiler key also activates the wheel brake, is this true to the real aircraft? Otherwise a fantastic addon, look forward to taking this many places.

Cheers

TJ

I was typing as you were Joachim, I found the rudder peddles. My eye position was high enough that I couldn't see them. When I had a look around with EZDok, I found them (doh).

Or just open the canopy :D

Would it be possible to add the portable Aerosoft PDA GPS from the Discus in an update (as an option)?

Of course this is possible. But I felt, it was rather old and outdated. I had no coder to do a new one, so I left it out. Lets see, what the future brings.

A little thing I noticed was the spoiler key also activates the wheel brake, is this true to the real aircraft?

Yes it is. The last bit of the spoiler travel is used as wheel brake as well. For a full simulation of this behaviour, you need to assign an axis to the spoilers. No key.

Bests, Joachim

I noticed the Brake came on when using the Spoilers too TJ, but I use the "Slider" on my X52 throttle, so it doesn't actually activate the Brake until the slider is passed about 80%. That means the very last portion of the spoilers activates the wheel brakes. I could see the logic in this, so never mentioned it.

If people are using a keyboard assignment, and the spoilers are either ON or OFF, then I can see this may cause problems as the spoilers will go to 100% when on. The manual DOES say use a slider in the FSX setup section though.

EDIT: Done it again Joachim LMAO, I was typing as you were. Are you stalking me LOL

Didn't think of just opening the canopy Joachim, I guess I didn't want to get out of the glider LOL. Going to put it through its paces today, just getting set up now. It's going to be a fun few hours :-)

If you own P3Dv2 try opening the canopy and just enjoy the shadowplay on the panel! Absolutly great stuff!

Apparently that is true. It's a bug known by the P3D developers and nothing that is caused by the ASK21. We've been working on this one a lot, however there was no way around this. LM is aware of the issue though, so maybe they'll come up with a fix.

Yeah I used FSUIPC to assign the speedbrake/brake axis...it works great.

Another minor question, I take it the the ASK doesn't have the pilots legs in the VC view. This is fine, I understand that something like that could eat up FPS, the VC looks beautiful.

Cheers

TJ

Unfortunately I didn't get much chance yesterday to fully test this glider out. I've been using the new Beta for ASN, and something was off with the lift for some reason. I tried several different locations, and weather conditions, but didn't seem to get much lift anywhere.

I've uninstalled the Beta for now, and gone back to my original install, and a quick test last night was more favourable. I'll give it another try today. I do agree however that it feels a much heavier bird than the Discus X, you certainly get that sense with the flight model. For the most part, I'd say this is a very nice bird, but I'm really struggling without the "visual" clue of wind direction from the PDA. I just can't get my head around it for some reason. Probably because I've NEVER been up in the air.

Perhaps someone can help me out a bit? If the Metar says winds are 170@14kts I get that the speed is 14kts, but are the winds blowing TO 170degs or FROM 170degs? I'm assuming the winds are blowing in a nearly Southerly, 180deg, direction, and a North facing hill/mountain will give me ridge lift? So Heading East or West, roughly, along the ridge will cause an updraft. Is this correct? Ergo, if I'm flying South, and there's a big hill in front of me, turning left or right along the ridge is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Apparently that is true. It's a bug known by the P3D developers and nothing that is caused by the ASK21. We've been working on this one a lot, however there was no way around this. LM is aware of the issue though, so maybe they'll come up with a fix.

I am very sorry Emi,

But how can you sell a MI version without annoucing this problem?

Very disappointing.. you don't treat customers like that...

Preshantram,

Joachim posted this in the beta, try this as a workaround and let us know if this helps:

For the moment, just set 1kt nosewind, and the take off works perfectly.

Just spent most of today trying to work out WHY my glider was falling out of the sky like a brick. Couldn't work out why with a 4m/s lift on the winter, I was still dropping like a stone. I tried different locations with better winds, but I would've thought a nice 15kts wind on the side of a hill would give me SOME lift. Nope, not really! I tried slowing down to take advantage, but all that did was stall me out. I must have died at least twenty times today.

I was just about ready to give up, and for some reason I checked the Fuel and Payload in FSX. Guess what I found?

TWO bloody great HULKING men in my glider. 222Lbs each. Really? TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO POUNDS? That's like 15 stone 12 pound men, times TWO, just over 31 stone in the cockpit. Have you any idea how much I weigh? 9 stone 12 pounds soaking wet. And I class that as average.

No wonder I kept falling out the sky. Can 2 people that size actually FIT in that cockpit? That's THREE people my size just in case you haven't worked it out. :crylaugh_s:

Once I changed the weights of the Pilot and Instructor to more reasonable weights, she actually flies quite well. A bit of a wasted day though, but never mind.

If the Metar says winds are 170@14kts I get that the speed is 14kts, but are the winds blowing TO 170degs or FROM 170degs?

FROM 170.

But how can you sell a MI version without annoucing this problem?

Very disappointing.. you don't treat customers like that...

I asked again and again to communicate this bug.

However, this is not our fault. It is a bug in P3D and will be fixed, as at least one of their stock planes suffer from this as well.

TWO bloody great HULKING men in my glider. 222Lbs each. Really? TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO POUNDS?

Why not?

A man plus his clothes plus parachute will easily weight that much, if not much more. Of course ASK21 is approved to take this weight but even more is possible.

This should not affect the climb that much in a thermal, though.

BTW, If the winter vario shows 4m/s climb, you will NOT fall. At least not without gaining speed.

The variometer is a TEK one, (total energy compensated) That means, if it shows 4m/s you'll gain the energy equivalent of 4m/s. In other words, either you climb or you get speed.

Bests, Joachim

FROM 170.

Why not?

A man plus his clothes plus parachute will easily weight that much, if not much more. Of course ASK21 is approved to take this weight but even more is possible.

This should not affect the climb that much in a thermal, though.

BTW, If the winter vario shows 4m/s climb, you will NOT fall. At least not without gaining speed.

The variometer is a TEK one, (total energy compensated) That means, if it shows 4m/s you'll gain the energy equivalent of 4m/s. In other words, either you climb or you get speed.

Bests, Joachim

Thanks for the Metar reply, that clears that up.

As for the big hefty men, I'm sure you are right, but I couldn't find any alternative explanation for what I was experiencing. I can't confirm nor deny the lift in thermals, I didn't find any. I was ridge soaring to test out the ASN Beta. It could, of course, just as easily be THAT, not the glider. But taking out a lot of the weight really helped. I'll have to do another test now I've gone back to my original ASN.

I fly the ASK21 in RW as well as with this great addon. The simulated one gives a very good feeling about the real one. Using FSX with DX10 Fixer I miss the cockpit shadows when the lid is closed. Somehow the lid seems to be intransparent for the sunlight, unlike that of the Discus. Is there any intention to correct it? Once you have the shadows you will miss them when they are not available!

I fly the ASK21 in RW as well as with this great addon. The simulated one gives a very good feeling about the real one.

Thanks, this was our intention :-)

Somehow the lid seems to be intransparent for the sunlight, unlike that of the Discus.

What do you mean with "lid"?

Is there any intention to correct it?

No, DX10 mode is just a previewmode. This means it is not fully supported in FSX, neither by me nor by Microsoft. However, MAYBE I will look into it in the future.

Once you have the shadows you will miss them when they are not available!

Agreed! Try Prepar3d. It gives a MUCH better feeeling due to its new lighting and shadows.

Thanks, this was our intention :-)

What do you mean with "lid"?

No, DX10 mode is just a previewmode. This means it is not fully supported in FSX, neither by me nor by Microsoft. However, MAYBE I will look into it in the future.

Agreed! Try Prepar3d. It gives a MUCH better feeeling due to its new lighting and shadows.

Lid? Oh yes, the word canopy suits better!

I am aware of it, but with Steve's DX10 fixer the FSX DX10 mode has become very useful. Most cockpits show the shadows correctly. It seems to be the transparancy of the canopy which is limiting here. As mentioned, Discus and Discus K work better in this respect.

Yes, that might be true, but it will only be an option for a (later to be purchased) more powerful system. Right now FSX fully meets my requirements.

Hmm, I can't find any performance differences between FSX and P3d, however, I don't know what to change on the canopy because it does not produce any shadows. It is transparent?!?

Bests, Joachim

Archived