Power Needed To Taxi

Bob G.

I have noticed that the Twin Otter Extended needs a lot of power to get it rolling from a parked position and when it does start to roll it takes off like a bullet. Is this normal behaviour? It sounds like you are doing a run-up.

Yes, I know that you would reduce the power after it starts to roll but if you are not careful it will stop again, you need to let it go just a bit before doing so and that's a fast taxi.

Just Wondering.

Bob

Hi Bob

Problem is that FSX ground friction is way off.

There are various solutions like Accufeel, FSUIPC and other tools available.

But also with default FSX ground friction You should be able to taxi in a safe manner.

Slowly increase power - note that it might take a few seconds before the aircraft will start to roll.

As soon as You start to roll, put power back to idle.

Finn

Hi Finn

Thanks for the information, I wondered if it was something in the programing of the Extended model but I never thought about FSX and ground friction. The original DHC-6 was not like this but your right, it is workable. I guess that it's not something that you can do a fix for as that would be nice.

Anyway that answers my question and I appreciate your help.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Finn

You said that the problem is that FSX ground friction is way off, I was wondering why then do other aircraft not have this problem, not even the original Twin Otter had the problem.

Question, could a Hot Fix be made that would fix this??

Bob G.

Bob G.

The problem in FSX is really that You need to decide where You want the most realism. On the ground or in the air.

The Turboprop engine model for the Twin Otter has been tweaked to be as accurate as possible under flying conditions. That might, and in our case means that some compromises needs to be mad for ground handling. So there is no real fix for it.

It also depends on Your hardware controller and how they are calibrated and setup.

I have little problem taxiing the Twin Otter, since I have a CH throttle quadrant with a large physical range of movement of my throttle axises, while other might use a joystick with a very small throttle wheel or axis at it´s base.

Finn

• Deputy Sheriffs

It also depends n Your hardware controller and how they are calibrated and setup.

I have little problem taxiing the Twin Otter, since I have a CH throttle quadrant with a large physical range of movement of my throttle axises, while other might use a joystick with a very small throttle wheel or axis at it´s base.

Finn

I can second that: in the past I used a Logitech Extreme 3D with only a very small throttle wheel. Now I use a X55 which makes throttle handling much more realistic and easier.

Archived