HUDCA in Twin Otter Extended

MarkHurst

• Deputy Sheriffs

Okay, I have finished tinkering with this gauge and I thought I would share my code.

Mark,

To make your valuable work more accessible for others and easier to find I took the liberty to change the topic title.

I assume you don't mind, your 'problem' was solved, but your explanation of the setup could help others who want to do the same.

One more question, does the HUD affect frame rate a lot (in the Twin Otter)?

Hallo Mark,

no joy even with your new proposal. I don´t want to (over-)stress your and my patience so I decided to give up at the moment, let the dust settle down (in may brain; cause at the moment i nearly dont´t know anything anymore) and will perhaps in a few weeks come back to the topic and try again!

Thanks for all your help and patience!

Best wishes Rainer

To make your valuable work more accessible for others and easier to find I took the liberty to change the topic title.

No problem Eric, I take it as a promotion! And no, I have not found any significant performance hit from the gauge.

Hallo Mark,

no joy even with your new proposal

Well sorry to hear that. When you get some enthusiasm back I would suggest you try removing both the gauge40 and gauge41 lines completely. You should then be able to activate the gauge by selecting it from the 'Views/Instrument Panel' menu, although it will not display any data because you will then get an ini file error. But at least we'll get a step closer if that works. To get rid of the ini file error you need to add back the gauge40 line somewhere that it's going to run (like I said earlier, I have put it at the end the of Vcockpit01 definition).

Hallo Mark,

thanks for your encouragement and your percistence.

I´ve already get mine back during this day, cause it´s not my habit to give up overhasty.

I will re-start from the beginning and try again and of course bear in mind your hint again.

I will report back as soon as possible and I think, at least we will succeed!

Thanks a lot for your assictance again.

Cheers Rainer

Hallo Mark,

it´s done. Yesterday I began from the beginning; this time with the DHC-6 tundra (before I did it for the wheel version, of course I adjusted the pathes in the panel. cfg) and I have the display now.

I have the gauge40 line under the Vcockpit01 definition. When I changed the HUDCA$/B7373config.ini part to DHC-6_300_tundra.config.ini and created a corrsponding DHC-6_300_tundra.ini in the HUDCA$ folder I got the configutation error display. So I changed back and adjusted the v1/v2 etc. values for the DHC-6 in the B7373config.ini (!) nevertheless on the primary mode screen appears DHC-6 in the upper right corner (!). Strange but correct.

The adjustements of the Window-size(= 0.480, 0.900), the window_pos(=0.300, 0.000) and gauge01= (....Display, 223, 100, 380, 650) was a difficult issue, and the at the moment best values (see the values in brackets above) are totally different in comparison to yours. I´m using a 4 monitor setup with three monitors for FSX-screen with 5760x1080.

I use the HUD without the frame and wonder now, if the different screens (Takoff-mode, approach-mode etc.) for the different flight-phases will appear, when activated the "Auto" modus BEFORE I disabled the frame modus. I don´t think so but I haven´t had enough time to experiment with.

So far so good.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement!

If you have some explanation for my enlightenment about the oddities described above, I´m every time curious to lern something.

Oh, btw. do you use the HUD with or without the frame? and why? If not too much requested.

Best wishes Rainer

When I changed the HUDCA$/B7373config.ini part to DHC-6_300_tundra.config.ini and created a corrsponding DHC-6_300_tundra.ini in the HUDCA$ folder...

Hi Rainer. My guess at the ini file problem is that you have made an error in naming the file - in your example above you give two different names! (I also note that one of them has two dots in it, which the gauge might not like.) You are getting 'DHC6' on the HUD because the B737.ini file has Value_07=1. This flag tells the gauge to read the 'atc_type' field from the active aicraft and display it. It's in the manual, page 25 ;)

I don't know what you mean about the auto mode - I don't think it's possible to disable the frame after setting it to Auto so I am probably not understanding what you are asking. I haven't really played enough with the HUD setup to know how well the auto-switching works but I do see it switch to takeoff mode when I lift off, so something's happening. I will attach my initial TwinOtterConfig.ini file to this message to compare with yours. The setup isn't very intuitive so you need to read that section of the manual carefully to understand how it works.

The numbers for frame size and position will undoubtedly be different for your setup as they need to be expressed as a fraction of the screen dimensions. You can probably translate my numbers into your numbers by multiplying or dividing by the ratio of your screen aspect ration to mine - I tried doing this, which involves dividing my numbers by 1.34, to get x=0.3, y=0.19, width=0.14, height=0.35. You could try these. If I am correctly reading the numbers you have quoted I am expecting your HUD to be huge! (However, I don't understand what your 'gauge01=...' line refers to so again I may be misunderstanding something.) NOTE: there was also an error in my calculation of the x position - I had a * instead of / (fixed now!)

I am currently using the gauge without the frame. Why? Because it's ugly and gets in the way! In my humble opinion,of course. I also don't need it because I can do everything from switches.

Hope some of that helps.

TwinOtterConfig.ini.txt

Hallo Mark,

thanks a lot for your reply and the explanations. It helps a lot and especially thanks for the Config.ini file. Much appreciated.

I will try your settings and see, what happens when I commend out the gauge01 line. (It is mentioned in the original HUDCA_manual by Dietmar Loleit see page 16 and 21)

The numbers are changing the postion and the dimensions of the HUD display too).

I´ve been already aware of the calculation error, but anyway thanks for your hint.

All that I will check in detail, but at the weekend real world issues will catch my attention, so I can begin investigating not before next week!

I will then report back!

Have a nice weekend

Cheers Rainer

Archived