Climb data and cruise power tables

andymartin

Im a little confused with the tables for the above data. The rate of climb at 11000lbs is less than at 12500lbs so i presume this is an error? Should they be reversed?

And there seems to be several cruise tables with the same header but totally different figures?? i'e there are 3 tables for cruise power at 91% 2000rpm, all with different figures. Why 3? Surely they cant all be correct?

I love this aircraft and i like to fly by the numbers, which i believe you need to do in the twin otter, if only i knew what the correct numbers were!?

Regards

Andy

Andy,

With your attitude no one will provide information to you. Search the web. Their are many tutorials how to fly the Twotter. It's all reachable for you with a little work on your own side. And don't complain, if we are all not immediately answering your questions.

Rgds

Reinhard

Reinhard, 'search the web'?? This is the official aerosoft twin otter forum, if people on here cant offer advice then that's a poor show. And as you cant offer any advice either then keep your views to yourself.

Andy, for official support please use support@aerosoft.com. The forum is mainly a user-user supportforum, even though our staff tries to answer as many questions in here as possible.

However I have to remind you of our forumrules. We do not tolerate if anyone insulting any of our users!

Your attitude will surely not attract many people to answer your questions. The same applies for the comments refering to the views in your other threads.

If you wish official support from Aerosoft you can at any time drop us an E-Mail to the above mentioned E-Mail address and we will reply to you as quick as possible.

• 2 months later...

Im a little confused with the tables for the above data. The rate of climb at 11000lbs is less than at 12500lbs so i presume this is an error? Should they be reversed?

And there seems to be several cruise tables with the same header but totally different figures?? i'e there are 3 tables for cruise power at 91% 2000rpm, all with different figures. Why 3? Surely they cant all be correct?

I love this aircraft and i like to fly by the numbers, which i believe you need to do in the twin otter, if only i knew what the correct numbers were!?

Regards

Andy

Andy,

when we fly the twin otter we flight plan for approx 600pph of fuel burn and a true airspeed of ~150knots. We take off at computed torque, for 2200ft MSL the torque temp limit is 24°C then for every 3°C above that subtract 1lb of torque from 50, at 4800 ft MSL the torque temp limit cut off is 12°C and at 6600ft MSL it is 2°C. We take off typically at flaps 10. At flap settings greater than 10, V1 is lower than Vmc, which means an engine failure at V1 results in an immediate loss of control. Climb out is 90 knots indicated and at 1000ft AGL, we retract the flaps and cruise climb at 110 knots. Upon reaching 110 knots, torque comes back to 45lbs or less (as calculated by the twin otter torque wheel or as per the checklist torque values in the sim - same thing) and props come back to 80% all the way until cruise while maintaining 45lbs of torque, this is typically accomplished by setting torque to 40 and then bringing the props back to 80% as this will bring the torque back up to 45 and prevent an over torque situation. At cruise we take torque back to 40 and props all the way back to about 72% using the same procedure as before, we set power to about 38 and then bring the props back to cruise and it usually comes up to 40. typically we see actual fuel burns in the 560-580pph region.

An hour flight you need about 1000-1200lb of fuel to have your VFR reserves.

when we fly the twin otter we flight plan for approx 600pph of fuel burn and a true airspeed of ~150knots. We take off at computed torque, for 2200ft MSL the torque temp limit is 24°C then for every 3°C above that subtract 1lb of torque from 50, at 4800 ft MSL the torque temp limit cut off is 12°C and at 6600ft MSL it is 2°C. We take off typically at flaps 10. At flap settings greater than 10, V1 is lower than Vmc, which means an engine failure at V1 results in an immediate loss of control. Climb out is 90 knots indicated and at 1000ft AGL, we retract the flaps and cruise climb at 110 knots. Upon reaching 110 knots, torque comes back to 45lbs or less (as calculated by the twin otter torque wheel or as per the checklist torque values in the sim - same thing) and props come back to 80% all the way until cruise while maintaining 45lbs of torque, this is typically accomplished by setting torque to 40 and then bringing the props back to 80% as this will bring the torque back up to 45 and prevent an over torque situation. At cruise we take torque back to 40 and props all the way back to about 72% using the same procedure as before, we set power to about 38 and then bring the props back to cruise and it usually comes up to 40. typically we see actual fuel burns in the 560-580pph region.

My head is spinning! But I have printed that out!

• Deputy Sheriffs

when we fly the twin otter we flight plan for approx 600pph of fuel burn and a true airspeed of ~150knots.

[...]

:excellenttext_s:

Wow, thanks for the elaborate explanation Mike, much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, for official support please use support@aerosoft.com. The forum is mainly a user-user supportforum, even though our staff tries to answer as many questions in here as possible.

However I have to remind you of our forumrules. We do not tolerate if anyone insulting any of our users!

Your attitude will surely not attract many people to answer your questions. The same applies for the comments refering to the views in your other threads.

If you wish official support from Aerosoft you can at any time drop us an E-Mail to the above mentioned E-Mail address and we will reply to you as quick as possible.

I'm afraid I do not see where Andy was, as you suggest, insulting.

Nor do I think he has demonstrated or expressed an unacceptable attitude.

On that note I will say that an unacceptable attitude is very often subjective.

Mike

• 6 months later...

To sort of bump this topic... thanks to Capt. Crash for the VERY thorough RL explanation which I will use on my next flight with this bird. Back to the OP; why are there several seemingly same power settings and lbs but different resultant data cruise charts? And to add on, it seems there is no benefit to climbing higher for fuel savings until about 12,000 ft. So extrapolating the time to climb chart, unless the leg is about >50 miles might as well stay at lowest safe altitude? Thanks for the replies.

Archived