Help! Need a new computer for FSX

Hi there,
I am looking to finally upgrade to FSX and for that I need a new computer. I have found a relatively cheap one from DELL (http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=bd84703&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop) with the specs below.
Do you think this is enough to run FSX? Will it run the latest Aerosoft addons (like LHR) well? I'm just paranoid that I will have an awful frame rate like I get on FS2004 now with my current system. At the same time I can't really afford to spend a lot of money.
Another question. How does FSX perform on Windows 8.1? Thanks!!
And finally, which version of Flight Simulator X do you recommend I buy, or would you recommend another simulator? I love AES so as long as those features are available then I don't mind.
---
Processor
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (64Bit) English
Memory
8GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 705 1GB DDR3

I just saw that it had the right memory and a good Graphics card/processor and thought it may be ok.

I don't really want to spend much more than £500 for the tower plus whatever the screen costs .

The CPU is bad and the GPU is awful. There's nothing good about it. It's not even a mid-range system, its a very low-end one. Very low-end. Again, its meant as a Workstation, the kind you find in a office cubicle or IT section.

If you're unwilling to build your own, then I'd suggest these guys or a UK equivalent - http://www.digitalstormonline.com/gaming-desktops.asp

With a good configuration that CPU is not bad, I'm using the same at this moment ;)

However is a good idea if you get a better CPU

The problem with that processor is that it can't be overclocked, which is something that FSX and P3D really need. For example, my 3930K is overclocked to 5.1GHz with a higher OF, far more cache and 8 more cores/threads. The retail for the 4460 is around $150 while the 3930K is still between $500-700. But as they say, you get what you pay for...

The problem with those unaware of how PC's work and function typically assume that a higher model number (insert component: here) means better performance, and that's just not the case.

Don't like the Intel i5 processor. The i7 is on sale now. Also get a better video card. GTX750 is a good card with 2 GBs. Check out Newegg.com for gaming computers on sale if you can't build your own system.I not sure but I think P3D uses the extra GBs in the video card to run a better system.

You might want to try P3D instead its a much more stable system. Its FSX with improvements and new shadowing effects. The CTD on FSX

drove me away. Most add-ons can be transferred. Also P3D on medium settings is like FSX on High settings.

Don't like the Intel i5 processor. The i7 is on sale now. Also get a better video card. GTX750. Check out Newegg.com for gaming computers on sale if you can't build your own system.

Plus you might want to try P3D instead its a much more stable system. Its FSX with improvements and new shadowing effects. The CTD on FSX

drove me away. Most add-ons can be transferred.

Agreed mate. I think people should do a lot more research prior to buying. Compare and contrast parts, look at the benchmarks for the components etc etc. Why anyone would buy a pre-built PC that's not a dedicated gaming rig, simply because its cheap, is beyond me. Especially one that's designed for office work.

@simgreen

All I can say is please don't buy that thing. It's awful all around. And I can guarantee that if you did pick it up, you'd be mashing the keyboard within minutes of booting up the sim because of the horrid performance. If you want help, we're here to help you.

I agree on the CPU, it's just barely powerful enough to run basic FSX without any add-ons and the settings all low.

But another thing to keep in mind is the hard disk. This proposed system contains a simple 7200 rpm harddisk, wich is fine for office work but for FSX you'd better get yourself an SSD. It's much faster, so FSX and everything you're running within it (textures etc) load much faster.

Of course the only thing that limits you is your budget. How much money are you willing to spend? But if that originally proposed Dell computer is about the top of your budget then I'd say don't buy anything and keep your money in your pocket. Save up some more money in the next few years and then buy a computer that is capable of running FSX a bit good. This one just doesn't cut it.

Archived