Help please - flaps don't extend & can't find wing sweep auto mode

Top Jockey

As fsx gold has acceleration included it shouldn't be the problem in this case

Hello Halbi,

Really... that's not good news, because I was counting on that to maybe see my problem solved...

By the way Jcagle also mentioned something about possibly having the "simconnect interface" corrupted... how can I mess something like that if I don't even know what it is, and the game was a brand new install ?

Top Jockey,

Reading through the thread to this point, let's see if I can confirm this about your setup (please correct where I'm wrong):

- You have a brand new install of FSX Acceleration

- The F-14 is 1 of ~___ add-ons that have been installed to this point?

- The version of VcRedist listed in the manual is installed

- FS-UIPC (payware) is or is not installed?

- There is no hardware lever connected to the Flaps Axis?

- (therefore) Your only method of flaps input are the standard key presses of F5-F8?

Top Jockey,

Reading through the thread to this point, let's see if I can confirm this about your setup (please correct where I'm wrong):

- You have a brand new install of FSX Acceleration

- The F-14 is 1 of ~___ add-ons that have been installed to this point?

- The version of VcRedist listed in the manual is installed

- FS-UIPC (payware) is or is not installed?

- There is no hardware lever connected to the Flaps Axis?

- (therefore) Your only method of flaps input are the standard key presses of F5-F8?

Hello Jcagle, thank you for your time, let's see:

The previous (and first) setup was:

- brand new FSX acceleration (or gold?) install ;

- F-14X was the only add-on ;

- I don't know what's " VcRedist ", so I don't know if it was installed or not ;

- FS-UIPC, wasn't installed ;

- I do believe it wasn't connected to the flaps axis, but my joystick did have some key designated to engage flaps (by definition at the FSX congfig. menu);

- neither those keys or the joystick ones functioned ;

I had to install: MS XML 4.0 SP2 to be able to start FSX... I don't know if this is important or not.

I thought I would give reproducing this a try.

I have the prop axis set to a thumb wheel on my joystick.

The prop axis controls the manual sweep.

If I put the thumb wheel all the way back, as in fully swept back and then use keyboard commands to sweep them forward, the wings move forward but the flaps will not extend.

Do you have the prop axis mapped to something?

With the wings appearing fully forward try pressing Ctr + F4 to move the prop axis forward then press F8 to lower the flaps.

If I do this then the flaps lower despite the thumb wheel position.

I don't think any of this applies if you are properly in AUTO mode but perhaps it is a useful clue.

I thought I would give reproducing this a try.

I have the prop axis set to a thumb wheel on my joystick.

The prop axis controls the manual sweep.

If I put the thumb wheel all the way back, as in fully swept back and then use keyboard commands to sweep them forward, the wings move forward but the flaps will not extend.

Do you have the prop axis mapped to something?

With the wings appearing fully forward try pressing Ctr + F4 to move the prop axis forward then press F8 to lower the flaps.

If I do this then the flaps lower despite the thumb wheel position.

I don't think any of this applies if you are properly in AUTO mode but perhaps it is a useful clue.

Thank you for your attention William,

Right now I can't tell, because everything was uninstalled, and will be installed again today.

But your suggestion seams valid, by the way does that aplies even if my joystick doesn't have a thumb wheel ?

Hello guys... well this is starting to be a showstopper - the flaps do not extend. Períod.

- Installed FSX and F-14X again;

- the gold edition / acceleration issue doesn't pose, because they are both preciselly the same option at the menu;

- all the other commands work fine - gear; parking brakes; etc;

However:

- wing sweep only work (once) by clicking at the sweep meter, or (always) with the CTRL + F4 or CTRL + F1 keys;

(the increments keys also work ok)

- the emergency lever and the throtle knob appear to be doing nothing...

- I don't have any prop axis mapped also;

- the F8 or F5 keys and the flaps command lever do absolutely nothing - the flaps keep retracted;

I do start at "free flight", with the aircraft already on the runway, with the engines and many other systems running.

So, could anyone please tell me what I'm I doing wrong?

Is there any procedure I'm missing ? Some system which need to be activated ?
Do I need to override some mode or something first ? Anything ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone,

Thought it was a good idea to stop by and inform that: finally I have this issue solved, and can now fly the F-14 Tomcat correctly - with flaps (and auto wing-sweep) working.

With Jcagle's crucial efforts, it just took me to follow the 1st. step from the topic below:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/90105-f-14x-and-fsx-steam/

( Even those of you, who might have a similar issue and, think you already have 'simconnect' installed and working, I do advise to follow that step either way - I had simconnect registered already at / control panel / add remove programs, and the problem still persisted. )

So, if anyone knows how to tag this thread 'answered', please do.

Thank you all.

Thank you Thrakazog, the flaps and auto wing-sweep working, really are key elements to allow a reasonable enjoyment in flying the F-14.

Fortunatelly now it's all good!

A Happy New Year to you and yours!

Hello Loke,

I've just now noted that you are on P3D2.4...

Try following the 1st. step mentioned at the link on post #36, (but on your P3D2.4 folders obviously).

Then report if you succeeded if you could - it might help others.

FSX are gone from my SSD forever - I use P3D only, so I don't know where to find a simconnect installer (msi).

Hey Loke,

Here's the standard file path to it for P3D.

Prepar3d/redist/interface/fsx-sp2-xpack/retail/lib folder

Hope it helps.

FSX are gone from my SSD forever - I use P3D only, so I don't know where to find a simconnect installer (msi).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, but this didn't work. Something "installed", but no simconnect.

Then I remembered the Majecstic Dash-8 using simconnect. I installed it, and the bluddy simconnect finally also installed properly, and now I am drowning in Tomcats, as I also downloaded Dino's Tomcat in frustration. Good to finally have "Wolf Pack" in the air, as it was one of my first 1:72 Airfix scale model builds.

Archived