Videos for the Step-by-Step Guide

Hi All

Another video added on the Airbus, the A319 in BA livery.

This time I program the MCDU with the route created in my earlier video on 'Beginners Guide to Flight Planning with SIDs and STARs'

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice video. Perhaps, in those conditions, an "auto-land" may be considered. You are correct in saying that the G/S will not engage unless LOC is captured. This is so that the aircraft is on the runway extended centre line, and it is safe to descend. (Boeings operate the same way). Regards.

Very nice video. Perhaps, in those conditions, an "auto-land" may be considered. You are correct in saying that the G/S will not engage unless LOC is captured. This is so that the aircraft is on the runway extended centre line, and it is safe to descend. (Boeings operate the same way). Regards.

It's an option on all Boeing aircraft, so customers can descide what they want. Not sure if Airbus offers the same. At least the busses we model this after do NOT have this option installed.

I just added another video. This time, it's the Go Around and Hold procedures from the step-by-step guide.:

http://youtu.be/t4E59QC3rlw

Next up will be a faster way to go from cold and dark to taxi-ing.

For the baro reference perhaps she is asking for the Decision Altitude to be entered but why this is being asked after landing is a mystery.

For the baro reference perhaps she is asking for the Decision Altitude to be entered but why this is being asked after landing is a mystery.

I agree - that would be strange. I note that there was a bug reported by another forum user for this exact problem but I don't think it could be re-produced. It's never happened to me again so I'm none the wiser.

Still, I forgive the FO because she introduced me to the rooder trim. No Airbus should be without one!

Good stuff mate! However, when using EZDok, you should switch off the View System in the right CDU. It can interfere with EZ.

Hi DetCord

Yes - you're absolutely right, of course. Another forum user gave me the same advice and so I've turned them off in subsequent videos.

Hi DetCord

Yes - you're absolutely right, of course. Another forum user gave me the same advice and so I've turned them off in subsequent videos.

Oddly enough, you didn't seem to have any issues with it in your initial video. The same can't be said for myself when I first started using it and had the view system enabled. I had lots of issues and errors.

That said, I have my EZDok profile and vibration settings for the cockpit view if you'd like to try them? That's up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again Cololman,

Yet another great video...many thanks..

some question please..

Do think PFPX is the most realistic FP out there? is it far off real

routing.

Note you use flaps 2...interesting...I asked on the forum and was advised in RL Flaps 2 is only used on short RW or High Elevation Airports..this of course effects the /UP COG...which I have been told has no effect on the AS Airbus whatever you set?...be great to do short vid on this...

Also noticed and learnt you do not need the Cargo doors open you can just load an amount directly in...saves time..

Lastly..please great music who is it!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do these there are much appreciated

All the best

Guys, good videos but they have become very similar in the sense you're flying an exact preset route to the destination. Please, somebody, do a flight with RC4 or other custom ATC programs vectoring you on approach. I'm really interested in what happens to your approach phase/checklist when ATC starts vectoring you off from the preset in MCDU fly path on approach. I'm not even sure if you get to Approach checklist automation. Let's see, for what it matters I've never been able to trigger Approach checklist under RC4 vectoring. Approach under RC4 vectors to EHAM would be most appriciated.

Thanks,

Hi again Cololman,

Yet another great video...many thanks..

some question please..

Do think PFPX is the most realistic FP out there? is it far off real

routing.

Note you use flaps 2...interesting...I asked on the forum and was advised in RL Flaps 2 is only used on short RW or High Elevation Airports..this of course effects the /UP COG...which I have been told has no effect on the AS Airbus whatever you set?...be great to do short vid on this...

Also noticed and learnt you do not need the Cargo doors open you can just load an amount directly in...saves time..

Lastly..please great music who is it!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do these there are much appreciated

All the best

Hi fanblade

I have no idea how realistic PFPX is as I've never done any real world flight planning. That said, I do think that no flight planning software can possibly match real world experiences completely. For example, my flight video from London Gatwick to Manchester. Both PFPX and route finder used the BIG VOR. However, departures from Gatwick are only permitted to use that VOR if their destination is either Heathrow or Northolt. But you'd only know this from reading the charts. There's no obvious constraint held in the AIRAC (that I'm aware of).

Yes, I did indeed use flaps 2 (and have done so since my first Airbus video). This was deliberate. I also used TOGA for the take-off. My idea is a sort of 'graduated complexity' for my videos. I try to introduce some new concepts for every new Airbus video. For example, the next video I am working on is based in the USA. I'll be using less flap, a FLEX take-off and programming DCT into the MCDU to imitate vectors from ATC.

Interesting point about loading cargo. One of my viewers pointed out to me that the cargo did not get loaded because I did not open the cargo door. I think he was right. So, I've learned to open the doors now to enable more appropriate loading. This will become even more important when I introduce ground services into the videos too.

The music I use is all free stuff offered by YouTube. Glad you like it.

Guys, good videos but they have become very similar in the sense you're flying an exact preset route to the destination. Please, somebody, do a flight with RC4 or other custom ATC programs vectoring you on approach. I'm really interested in what happens to your approach phase/checklist when ATC starts vectoring you off from the preset in MCDU fly path on approach. I'm not even sure if you get to Approach checklist automation. Let's see, for what it matters I've never been able to trigger Approach checklist under RC4 vectoring. Approach under RC4 vectors to EHAM would be most appriciated.

Thanks,

Hi sabre10

You're right - I am indeed flying an exact pre-set route to the destination. As I mentioned in reply to an earlier message, I am trying to use a graduated approach to all of my Airbus videos. I fully intend to create ever more complex, Airbus based, videos. This is because I see a gap in YouTube. The videos there are either really simple, or they're really complex. I couldn't find anything that walked a simmer through from the most simple state, up to expert stage with full addons. This is what I'm trying to achieve. I know the rate of change I introduce may frustrate some and I welcome comments, like yours, that guide me on an appropriate rate.

Hope that helps.

Hi sabre10

You're right - I am indeed flying an exact pre-set route to the destination. As I mentioned in reply to an earlier message, I am trying to use a graduated approach to all of my Airbus videos. I fully intend to create ever more complex, Airbus based, videos. This is because I see a gap in YouTube. The videos there are either really simple, or they're really complex. I couldn't find anything that walked a simmer through from the most simple state, up to expert stage with full addons. This is what I'm trying to achieve. I know the rate of change I introduce may frustrate some and I welcome comments, like yours, that guide me on an appropriate rate.

Hope that helps.

Looking forward to seeing your next videos. I haven't seen a single real complex scenario with AirbusX on youtube though. All are variations of preset flights with FS2Crew, GSX and other decorations.

Sabre10

Thank you for the videos so far, but it would be nice to delve a little more into the capabilities of this Airbus. Could I request again, a video showing a Non Precision Approach, using the "bird". (Track/FPA), also entering non standard way points (lat/long) etc into the MCDU. Once again, many thanks so far. Regards.

Thank you for the videos so far, but it would be nice to delve a little more into the capabilities of this Airbus. Could I request again, a video showing a Non Precision Approach, using the "bird". (Track/FPA), also entering non standard way points (lat/long) etc into the MCDU. Once again, many thanks so far. Regards.

Hi ColH

I do have it on the list. But, I'll underline it now :)

Next video is based in the USA with a flight from Orlando to Denver. Includes simulated vectoring from ATC that over-rides plan entered into MCDU. It's not the non-standard waypoints that you've mentioned but hopefully you'll see that I'm graduating up towards that level of sophistication.

Regarding the previously mentioned subject VECTOR APPROACH and APPROACH CHECKLIST just some comments. In RL it is SOP during a VECTOR APPROACH to manually delete the already passed WPTs (or which are behind your current position) in the MCDU FPLAN to get precise predictions. Then also the APPR CL starts at the right moment........ There are currently still problems in 1.21 with the APPR CL when those WPTs are not manually deleted. But those are already solved and the solution will be released with SP3.

Another option is (after you got vectors for the localizer / glideslope) to use DIR TO and RADIAL IN (which is a common RL SOP). There are currently also some minor problems with this feature but those are also already solved and will be released with SP3.

Regards,

Rolf

Hi All

I just added another new video. As I was creating the KMCO to KDEN video, I found a number of issues with getting landed at Denver. I summarised them, the fixes and some additional items in this video. I include coverage of :

- Adding a custom waypoint in to a flight plan (Using Place / Bearing / Distance - PBD)

- Some of the differences between flying in Europe and flying in the USA

- What to do when the Aerosoft checklists don't quite behave as expected

- FLEX Take-off

- Landing at close to maximum weight at a high-altitude airport

ps: The KMCO (Orlando) to KDEN (Denver) video is coming ....

Regarding the previously mentioned subject VECTOR APPROACH and APPROACH CHECKLIST just some comments. In RL it is SOP during a VECTOR APPROACH to manually delete the already passed WPTs (or which are behind your current position) in the MCDU FPLAN to get precise predictions. Then also the APPR CL starts at the right moment........ There are currently still problems in 1.21 with the APPR CL when those WPTs are not manually deleted. But those are already solved and the solution will be released with SP3.

One more question: at some popular airports like EHAM, EGLL the ATC request you to maintain 180kts untill 4miles to the threshold, so Airbus pilots for example use flaps1/gear up untill 4miles. Is it possible somehow to incorporate it smartly in SP3?

Many thanks,

Sabre10.

Hi Sabre 10,

I do not get your question / requirements. If you cannot use the fully managed approach (because of ATC requirements) then why not using SPEED SEL of 180 knots until 4 NM before the runway and then change back to SPEED MNGD. Then the plane should slow down and the Landing CL starts at 2.000 feet. AG......

Also please open a new thread for further discussion on this subject in the MCDU (right) section.....

Regards,

Rolf

I've opened another thread in that section as suggested.

Thank you so much, Rolf.

(I hope Cobolman doesn't mind too much ocasional discussions of the pertinent subjects while he is preparing his next terrific video tutorial :). )

Archived