AIM-54 Phoenix missing target...

jojo83

Just a little question: is there any random malfunction incorporated into AIM-54 ?

I had 2 stranges misses :

1st - The missile launched around 50Nm lofted over the drone after steep dive.

2nd- The missile fall dead of my aircraft on launch (no engine ingnition).

I mean if it is the case it is ok for me. It ads some fun.

But I just want to know if I missed something !

I know VRS tried hard to make the AIM-54 as authentic as possible.

The first shot sounds reasonable, for a long range target that was not maneuvering, the missile had maybe an 80% accuracy...so it will miss from time to time.

On the second, the early AIM-54A's in particular were known for misfiring off the rails.

Relating that experience to real world tests; during the "accuracy" test that the Navy ran against 6 targets (sequential/concurrent launch), I believe there were four hits, one miss, and one misfire. So only five of the six targets counted, and that's where the number of 80% accurate comes from.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guy's if anyone is having issues with the AIM-54's missing targets, well all i can say is its pretty easy to get them to work if you follow the manuals.

anybody who needed help with the weapons systems on this beautiful aircraft........

please follow the images that i have provided

Also here are two images on how the aircraft should be set up, the first image shows the HUD/ heads Up Display

and what you should see.

The second image shows the rear cockpit and the armament panel and how you should have the switches set up so as for your

AIM-54's to work effectively

i will also add a link to a tutorial on the AIM-54 Pheonix very soon

Hope it helps.......

Rodney

post-123504-0-97348800-1420890380_thumb.

post-123504-0-94190400-1420890398_thumb.

FALCON-DRIVER, thanks for taking the time to tackle this subject with a vid. A couple of things, on the 2D panel for your displays/weps/radar, the cage/uncage is for the HUD. You can actually see this later in the vid after you level out, your pitch ladder is offset.

On the RIO's armament panel, although "grayed out" (VOL3 pg.14) in the manual meaning not functional, you (your RIO) actually set up to jettison your weapons.

After the F-14X release, I used the guide in the manual and the 2D panel to conduct a Phoenix kill against that evil drone.

Archived