Tacan

York82

My initial testing on Tacan appeared to be ok. I had some conflicting custom scenery on the Kitty Hawk TCN. I changed freq to 22x and it appeared to be OK. Actually is was not.

As York stated.. in MP w/TacPack... we place the Kitty Hawk via the MAP or VRS menu method. Under normal conditions everyone with TacPack will see the carrier. However, there appears to be 3 issues:

1. TCN does not appear to work properly. The TCN should be changeable as to not cause issues with other ships or airport assignments..

2. Auto Pilot does not appear to work (or intermittent). So steering to the ship does not happen regardless of TCN freq.

3. The carrier location is slightly "out of sync" with players... (as to it's position.) Something we are not used to. ex: I am parked on deck... another person is on cat 4... but shows to be floating over the water about 75 yards behind the carrier.

Granted, I may have missed something in the manuals.... I have been running my MP session for over 6 yrs and it is dedicated to Carrier Ops... these are critical issues for us.

If anyone has any input, we would appreciate it. Our session is available 24/7 www.fsxcarrierops.com Server is 700Mb dn /300Mb up.

As a side note... if there is any way to remove some of the aircraft off the deck of the Kitty Hawk.. that would be nice... we need parking spaces :)

Thanks in advance, SandPro

EDIT: The issues appear manly in the aircraft itself... not the carrier. Any other aircraft I've tested with the Kitty Hawk works fine.

I would like to say that this is a great aircraft. On the subject of the auto pilot I have found that it works until you get to fast and in my opinion that works for me and thanks for the GREAT F-14 X

1. TCN does not appear to work properly. The TCN should be changeable as to not cause issues with other ships or airport assignments..

No it works, but use TACAN in Cruise for example for VOR and TACAN of Carrier and AWL/PCD for carrier (so it isnt only for ILS).

No it works, but use TACAN in Cruise for example for VOR and TACAN of Carrier and AWL/PCD for carrier (so it isnt only for ILS).

No it doesn't, if you use vrs to assign TACANs to carriers the F14 will not pick them up regardless of the setting

The Kitty Hawk has 3 levels of detail to select. If you go to the folder you should see 3 separate files - max etc. If you open the folder and copy the models back into the root folder (after backing up the original models) and then replace. Each version has a different level of detail for the flight deck

I have been having the same problem ever since I purchased the Aerosoft F-14, and I just solved the problem I have been having. If you are not looking at the Tacan Control Panel correctly it can cause a lot of problems. The TACAN tuner is read from top to bottom, meaning the first number in any TACAN channel should be in the column that is closest to the nose of the F-14. For example, let's say you want to tune to 57X (112.00 ), then the top most column would be 0, the next column down would be 5, and the bottomost column would be 7. This is also shown below.

Hope that this also solves the problems everyone else has been having. Very simple huh, but if you are looking at it wrong, it can cause a big problem.

• 1 month later...

I have been having the same problem ever since I purchased the Aerosoft F-14, and I just solved the problem I have been having. If you are not looking at the Tacan Control Panel correctly it can cause a lot of problems. The TACAN tuner is read from top to bottom, meaning the first number in any TACAN channel should be in the column that is closest to the nose of the F-14. For example, let's say you want to tune to 57X (112.00 ), then the top most column would be 0, the next column down would be 5, and the bottomost column would be 7. This is also shown below.

Hope that this also solves the problems everyone else has been having. Very simple huh, but if you are looking at it wrong, it can cause a big problem.

I still have the same issue. When spawning a carrier using tacpack my TCN and ILS don't work. Only when loading the saved flights for the F14 TCN is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hum intersesting, when you are spawning a carrier via tacpack what F-14 are you flying, if you are flying an F-14A the hud is different and will not dispay TCN data on the Hud, you instead have to use the VDI. To see if this is what is causing the problem simply press the "H" key on your keyboard and it will change the hud. If that doesn't solve the problem you should also try making sure you have the TCN set to X if it's an Xray freguency the carrier is using, or Y if it's a Yankee freguency. Make sure that you check the "X/Y" switch before you tune to the frequency, otherwise it won't change the frequency correctly.

You can also try pressing Shift + 6 which brings up the default cessna radio stack, and tune the ILS/Tacan Frequency directly into NAV 1 section of the radio stack, it's not realistic, but it can be used to find out if you are simply tuning the F-14 TCN incorrectly, or if there is possibly some other problem. This step may seem unimportant, but it just might help, tuning via the cessna radio stack will automatically tune the F-14 TCN as required. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found something else out that may help some other people. It appears that Aerosoft set up their own Tacan and ILS settings completely independent of the VRS tacpack. If you change any settings on any aircraft carrier in the Tackpack ACM, it will only change the settings of that carrier for other tacpack enable aircraft, not for the Aerosoft F-14. Whenever you are flying the F-14 you need to use the frequency that aerosoft set for the particular carrier you are using at the time.

The frequencies that aerosoft set for these carriers when flying their F-14 are unchangeable, I tried changing My Javier Nimitz frequency to 45X and 110.80 and was flying the F-14, the F-14 would not pick up Tacan or ILS, I then retuned the F-14's tacan from 45X to 57X (The setting that Aerosoft set), and it worked, even though the tacpack settings were still set to 45X and 110.80. I then tried my VRS F-18E, keeping the aircraft carrier's tacpack settings at 45X and 110.80, and tuned the F-18E to 45X and 110.80, and it picked up both the tacan and ILS.

So, to sum up, when flying the F-14 the Tacpack Aircraft Carrier settings do not apply at all. To find the frequencies for different aircraft carriers supported by Aerosofts F-14 look at the Manual titled "F-14-X-Manual-Vol-5-Avionics" page 23. Once again I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Hello, Is there a status update for the F-14X. Regarding the tacan fix? I've been flying the F-14X on tacpack multiplayer server and i am unable to tune or track any frequencies for Tacpack Carriers??? Any progress made yet it's been almost a year now? Would appreciate some logical explanation to this problem.

I might add the F-14X is a phenominal jet fighter!...Please keep us updated. Thank you.

LT Starbuck

U.S.NAVY [Ret]

Archived