VOR1 radio not working?

jaguado

So I was on approach to Punta Cana MDPC and I was going to do the ARC/DME approach to runway 09, but VOR1 would not find the VOR I had tuned, where as VOR2 would? (see screenshot) I was able to do the approach using VOR2.

Thanx

5qRvkx.jpg

Hi!

I had this problem randomly with AXE (usually when destination airport had no ILS), but not with the new A318/19/20/21 until now.

Sometimes the problem was rectified if I entered the VOR data into ILS fields on RAD/NAV page and the VOR 1 started working (not always).

Mladen

javier

my thinking is that your selected vor is a terminal / low en-route one ... which are not received beyond about 40nm (this is a real world thing well modelled by fsx in most cases, just as you can't receive vor's on the ground other than the airport's)

so, did you notice vor1 become active closer in during your approach ??

as for why your vor2 is active at 72nm ...... i've seen that before in many aircraft & have "guessed" that somehow fsx is not properly coded in vor2 tuning to differentiate reception range between high & low / terminal vors !!

let us know on para 2.

cheers

john

I don't think it has anything to do with distance off the VOR. If you input same data for VOR1 and VOR2 and only VOR2 correctly indicates the bearing, then something is wrong with VOR1 receiver, as they should have identical bearing displays.

Mladen

javier

not on vor 2 @ 72nm ..... vor 2 is in my opinion a tad flawed (apart from the mixup of ident volume rotaries in this airbus since the original X in 2010).

as i mentioned above, you should only receive "line of sight" signals when on the ground (the airport's vor if there is one) & not others over the hill so to speak and as in your case (PNA) when airborne not beyond their range !!

for example @ ksfo at the gate, you should / do receive SFO on both but not PYE (about 50nm away) on either - but you can on vor2.

i wonder if it is fixed in P3D ??

cheers

john

The real question is... Am I supposed to see that VOR or not? Wich radio is correct? I use the tropical sim MDPC, but I don't think they modify the stock VOR's.

Thanx uadriver, more or less I know how the VOR works, Just wondering why radio nav 1 doesn't see it, but Radio nav 2 does. I'll test other aircraft and see what happens :)

javier

i cant' replicate your situation (without the TS addon) ...i can only encourage you to:

• interogate the vor with easynavs & check the range setting
  • or do a departure & check if vor1 receives PNA beyonf 40nm ,,,, as well as check an ident is heard on vor2 ??

if you can't receive PNA on the ground and / or to 40nm on vor1, then my thinking is wrong ??

cheers

I haven't had time, I need to actually get on the air and put distance between me and the airport. I'm flying to England in real life this weekend, so i won't have time for a while to do a full flight. Will try again at some point next week.

FSX is designed with 2 VORs (VOR1 and VOR2) but allows VOR1 to be used for ILS. The Aerosoft Airbus appears to permanently assign VOR1 to ILS making VOR1 itself (as entered by the Nav Radio page) unusable. The only alternative is to use VOR2 for any DME navigation.

After some investigation for the next update of the LINDA Airbus module I have discovered the following information which corrects my previous post.

FSX has 2 VORs (VOR1 and VOR2). FSX's VOR1 is used permanently on the Aerosoft Airbus' for ILS and is used to feed the PFD ILS data and arrows and for the ND ILS display. FSX's VOR2 is used for the Airbus' VOR1 and for the ND VOR DME display.

I have yet to work out how to use the Airbus' VOR2 with LINDA but some of the Lvars are accessible. Further research is required.

Scotflieger

firstly, thanks again for your LINDA script on the airbus.

i too have been hunting the LVars for nav radios, but with very limited skills & less results !!

from what I see in the cockpit, all work "visually" except that vor2 does not differentiate between low & high range reception as coded in fsx ... ie as per javier's experience, PNA is received on vor2 well beyond its 38nm range.

what does not seem to work "correctly" - as you partly mentioned - is that

• ils1 ident is heard by a simultaneous turning of both vor1/ils1 volume rotaries
  • vor1 ident is using vor2 volume rotary
  • there is no vor2 ident
  • there is adf1 ident but no adf2 ident

i hope this helps with your research. at the moment i am using fsx controls for what idents can be found.

cheers

john

I don't know if this helps, but I was able to perfectly perform the ARC DME approach using the VOR2 radio... (Should have tried VOR1 as I got clsoer to the airport I guess...)

Archived