A320 IAE Initial Climb Performance

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did something "illegal" as a workaround. I changed two settings in the aircraft.cfg file from the Airbus A320 AIE. Changed the static_thrust from 31600 to 27000 and the thrust_scalar from 0.9 to 1.1. This gives me a stable climbrate during take-off, also with (heavy) real weather engaged. Two important things though (just like in de real AIE-bus): set the Vr speed manualy in de perf-page at minimal 150 knots and wait till 170 knots before you put on climb thrust. In this configuration the vertical speed never drops below 1000ft/min.

Hey!

For me CLB thrust only seems to be very low until flap retraction which makes turns at low altitudes difficult. I mostly climb from the thrust reduction altitude at 1,500 ft AGL with flaps extended to 3,000 ft AGL for noise abatement. Only at 3,000 ft AGL I retract the flaps to pick up speed. After that the calculated thrust setting goes up and the vertical speed increases which makes the aircraft climb normally. I tried this procedure on the DARKE1A SID from VNKT runway 20 to OTHH this afternoon. Eventually, I had difficulties to reach 10,500 ft at DARKE because it took me so long to reach the flap retraction altitude. The take-off roll (with TOGA thrust) and the initial climb-out to 1,500 ft AGL were perfectly normal at a vertical speed of about 2,300 fpm. During the right turn at KTM VOR with flaps still extended and CLB thrust engaged the plane climbed at about 500 fpm. After flap retraction at 3,000 ft AGL the plane quickly picked up speed to 230 kts and climbed at a rate of about 2,600 fpm again.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael, if possible could you pls. provide a couple of screenshots of your VNKT departure (also showing the complete PFD), and data like weather, temperatures, weights? Thanks!

We are still "sensing" IAE engines that are supposed to handle more than what they were built for, but I would like to be sure about that.

I did something "illegal" as a workaround. I changed two settings in the aircraft.cfg file from the Airbus A320 AIE. Changed the static_thrust from 31600 to 27000 and the thrust_scalar from 0.9 to 1.1. This gives me a stable climbrate during take-off, also with (heavy) real weather engaged. Two important things though (just like in de real AIE-bus): set the Vr speed manualy in de perf-page at minimal 150 knots and wait till 170 knots before you put on climb thrust. In this configuration the vertical speed never drops below 1000ft/min.

I would like to suggest to leave the aircraft.cfg "as is" and rather change towards a higher thrust detent if required: If climb thrust seems insufficient, raise the thrust detent early enough in order to avoid nearing the "back side of the power curve".

Thanks for the input. However still a little bit too difficult to me...

As said, let's wait until we got all files on the same level before we spend to much time on this. We got two real bus drivers checking out the files.

Michael, if possible could you pls. provide a couple of screenshots of your VNKT departure (also showing the complete PFD), and data like weather, temperatures, weights? Thanks!

We are still "sensing" IAE engines that are supposed to handle more than what they were built for, but I would like to be sure about that.

Oliver, I most probably won't be able to send you the screenshots earlier than friday but I'll see what I can do. Thank you very much for your constant efforts.

Hey Oliver!

QTR647 A320IAE TOW: 72,189 kgs (ZFW: 55,552 kgs, FOB: 17,180 kgs)

VNKT02 SID DARKE1C TOGA

Best regards,

Michael

72T.

Now I took the time to flim this etc etc and this has cost me time now. Until SP2 is out (and proper "evidence" is shown), I will ignore all other further claims in this topic.

72T.

Now I took the time to flim this etc etc and this has cost me time now. Until SP2 is out (and proper "evidence" is shown), I will ignore all other further claims in this topic.

Michael is using FSX, you are using P3D...

I have re-installed FSX, but still have same problem, right now I have a climb rate at 25000 ft of 300 ft/ min with a gross weight of 65500 kg EPR 1.399 and not possible to have it more neighter in MANAGED nor SELECTED mode. During takeoff with flex temp have the same issue with stall approach.

Hey Oliver!

QTR647 A320IAE TOW: 72,189 kgs (ZFW: 55,552 kgs, FOB: 17,180 kgs)

VNKT02 SID DARKE1C TOGA

(..)

Michael

Michael, thanks!

I have similar results to yours, when selecting CLB shortly after reaching THR RED ALT, but below ACC ALT (your noise abatement procedure), that is around 160 kts IAS and with a pitch of something like 15 degrees in the U-turn.

Joshua demonstrates a different climbout procedure in his video, in which he allows his aircraft to accelerate for a couple of seconds (up to 170 kts) in TOGA after his THR RED ALT, which coincides with his ACC ALT, and therefore his automation lowers the aircraft's nose to a pitch of slightly above 10 degrees.

With Joshua's technique, I achieve Joshua's results as well, even in FSX ... ;-)

Now the main question still is, is the initial climb performance of the IAE engines realistic or not?

Considering

• aircraft weight

• drag created by the slats and the flaps (CONF1+F)
  • the fact that your bus is not allowed to accelerate at the THR RED ALT, due to your NAP
  • loss of lift because of the bank during the U-turn
  • changing relative winds during the turn

there is quite a challenge for the IAE engines. From what I have seen in your reports and in our internal tests, and with devs and tech advisors/RW bus drivers having reviewed the IAE performance, I am unable to detect any flaws or shortcomings in either the FDE or the automation (mainly thrust and pitch control by the autopilot in this regard).

It rather seems like "performance demand exceeds performance supply" to me.

I am glad you took your time to provide your reports and additional information on this issue; I feel a heck of a lot better now because we were able to take a real close look at the irritating things you noticed - and I think we could replicate your scenarios and findings rather precisely.

Thank you for that.

Archived