A320 IAE Initial Climb Performance

Hello people!

The initial climb performance of the IAE and CFM engines is very different.

I always have problem to get not into stall with the IAE in the very first initial climb. With the CFM engines, I don't have this problem. And yes, I set my Flaps as last thing.

Please clarify what's wrong here. My TOW is around 64t. this is far away from MTOW.

With CFM all is good. I know the IAE perfoamance is not the best, but this problems shoud not be.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys!

Sorry to be back with the same issue. This is from another flight on the A320 IAE at a TOW of 63,1 t during initial climb from EGGW 26. To the point I reduced to climb thrust at 1,500 ft AGL everything was normal. With climb thrust and flaps still extended to 3,000 ft AGL for noise abatement I nearly ended up in a stall during that turn.

post-12343-0-34175400-1416775647_thumb.j

After flap retraction everything was back to normal and the A320 IAE climbed flawlessly to FL370.

No problems at all on the A319 IAE and A321 IAE.

Michael

• Deputy Sheriffs

@Michael

Was that 19kts tailwind there the whole time? Do you also have these problems without real weather?

@Martin

Did you try to put the Thrust Levers in the CL detent after the pitch was reduced and the aircraft is accelerating iso directly when passing acc alt?

@Martin

Did you try to put the Thrust Levers in the CL detent after the pitch was reduced and the aircraft is accelerating iso directly when passing acc alt?

I put the thrust levers to CL when the regarding message in PFD appear.

@Michael

Was that 19kts tailwind there the whole time? Do you also have these problems without real weather?

@Martin

hey!

I took-off with a light headwind. the wind then changed to a tailwind during climb-out. i will try without real weather asap.

michael

Try to fly SOKRU1A departure @ LROP airport. In this SID you have a +800feet restriction shortly after take off. No chance to make an clean takeoff without stall with IAE airbus.

I always set flaps as last thing before engine startup always!

After serval tries, I noticed the problem occur if you have real weather in turbulence during takeoff. Turbulences producing "jumping" speed and than the result is stall in bad case.

It is possible to reduce the tubulence-scale but I don't think this is the solution, cause with CFM engines all is ok. I think the calculation of V2 is to close to the stall conditions.

I calculated V-Speeds with another tool and the V2 is 10knotes higher as the airbus calculates.

OK, as workarround it is possible to set V2 higher. But than you have a initial climb-speed of 300-500ft. I think anything with engine performance is wrong here.

I'm going to have to agree here...

I did a flight from EGKK-LCLK today with a TOW of 65 tonnes and at after rotation the aircraft was struggling to even climb at 300fpm. Winds were variable at the time. I had to literally stop my take off climb at about 500 feet on the radar altitude, engaged TOGA and waited for 10 seconds for the speed to build up to an acceptable level.

Once climbing away in TOGA the climb performance seemed to be normal again.

Tried 64 tons TOW in clear/ISA weather with the A320 IAE (current internal build) - no problems. T/O thrust was FLEX (auto-calculated assumed temp derate) and flaps setting was CONF 1+F.

Pls. also state your weather/temperatures, takeoff thrust and takeoff configurations.

post-63814-0-02365300-1416933454_thumb.j

Hey Oliver!

With T/O FLEX i get similar climb rates. My problem is CLB thrust and flaps still deployed from 1,500 to 3,000 ft AGL (for noise abatement) when climb rates drastically drop to about 1,000 fpm. Especially turns are critical in this configuration with a climb rate of as a low as 200 to 300 fpm or even less. This is without ASN and regardless of the TOW. After flap retraction the A320 IAE behaves as expected.

Michael

Hey Oliver!

With T/O FLEX i get similar climb rates. My problem is CLB thrust and flaps still deployed from 1,500 to 3,000 ft AGL (for noise abatement) when climb rates drastically drop to about 1,000 fpm. Especially turns are critical in this configuration with a climb rate of as a low as 200 to 300 fpm or even less. This is without ASN and regardless of the TOW. After flap retraction the A320 IAE behaves as expected.

Michael

Tried this as well (including the turn shortly after takeoff) and can't confirm your issue. Could you pls. post the takeoff PERF page of your MCDU before takeoff, and a couple of shots taken during the climb, showing your PFD? Thanks!

• Deputy Sheriffs

In your first picture you are in TOGA (max power) but also on the negative side of the power curve. Only by reducing the AoA and sacrificing altitude are you gonna get out of it. In this case you are too low.

But that is besides the point. The problem is getting into the stall in the first place which should not happen.

I will talk to the dev about the speed getting below V2, which is only part of the problem here.

Archived