Swinging thrust (a bit annoying)

matchball

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just completed the flight. Usual clear air turbulence courtesy of ASN on Realism mode with Enhanced Turbulence and....a rock solid approach in the IAE A319 with AT on flying the entire STAR by hand from 12000ft.

I'm happy.

I have two videos ( crappy quality with Shadowplay) with 1.21 HF1c + ATHR Fix, one is at T/C and the other on approach.

Approach, Works quite good.

Best.

Miquel

enhanced turbulence in asn could be always a big hit with the bus and other sensetive addons! better leave them off!

Understood, but it was a deliberate action to see how the AT handled it. It did fine.

Besides, no harm in ramping it up!

Miquel

Still see in your fist video that even without wind when aircraft approaches set height the AT goes up and down from idle to full several times...bet it does not do that in RL! have no engines left !!

Best

I reverted back to v1.21 after totally deleting the install & re-installing 1.21. Fluctuations in the RPM/A/T are no longer present.

For which aircraft? I've always fully uninstalled and clean installed the Airbus (as per Aerosoft instructions) but get A/T instability on both the A318/9 and A320/1 at version 1.21. If I use Joshua's new ATHR.xml file the A318/9 A/T is stable but the A320/1 A/T still osciillates.

Seems to me that there's something else different in the modelling of the A320/1 that is causing the N1 oscillations at intermediate altitudes and on the approach.

I Know the Jets needs up to 8-10 seconds to spool up, this is the reason to mantain in approch the speed Vref+5+wind. I don't know if if the airbus FMC management calculate the numbers and set the proper value to mantain or if we need to adjust it manually. I follow this second way and the speed is stable an TD is correct.

I find the autothrottle to respond slowly, especially on final approach, as of 1.21c. I did not experience any such problems before SP2. In the current build, I find I have much more control over pitch and speed on approach if I disable the autothrottle and autopilot and land the Airbus manually, like a Boeing.

Todays flight test.

Airbus A319 IAE

Version 1.21c plus ATHR file

EGPH-EGNX CRZ FL290

ZFW=51259

TW=59682

TOW=59117

LW=57351

FoB=8423Kgs

CI=22

I don't have ASN installed. Wind at EGNX set Calm.

Take-off normal and initial climb unremarkeable with climb to 6000ft. At 6000/250kts the A/T sharply throttled back as speed passed 250kts then rapidly powered-up taking three 'pumps' before maintaining the correct power setting for 250kts.

Climb to FL160= Acceleration to 288kts and level capture smooth

Climb to FL240= Level capture and A/T smooth but climb rate reducing to 1200fpm in later stages.

Climb to FL290= Level capture and A/T smooth but climb rate reducing to 1000fpm in later stages.

I then initiated a slight acceleration in CRZ to M0.79 which was achieved without any issue.

Descent to FL190 at 300Kts selected smooth no issues. selected VS of 2000fpm

Descent to FL130 with a reduction to 280kts selected VS of 1800fpm nice and smooth level capture.

Descent to FL050 with reduction to 250kts for the speed limit. VS 1800fpm aircraft doesn't deccelarate without spoiler and as the aircraft gets lower the speed begins to increase. A reduction of VS to 1500fpm holds 250kts.

Baseleg reduction to 220kts and down to 2000ft 1200fpm VS aircraft doesn't want to slow down without a little spoiler or some flap.

Established LOC and reducing to 160kts at 10DME looks good.

Full flap and gear down now LOC and GP reduction to Vapp of 130kts at 5DME the speed reduces gently but there is still small throttle pumping as speed varies approx 4kts either side of Vapp meaning the aircraft does gets slightly above GP by DA power settings to hold Vapp seem pretty low with flight idle occuring occasionally when the aircraft is in landing configuration.

Please note folks. I am just reporting how this aircraft performs on my system.

I have had the priveledge of flying in the cockpit of numerous Airbus variants and have handled and observed the performance of many many of these aircraft over a long career but am not and have never been a commercial pilot, just light aircraft so please treat the conclusions as that. I stand to be corrected by real life Airbus pilots.

Conclusions.

1.Autothrottle is better but seems to be still over sensitive at lower levels

2.Perhaps the A/T reaction at lower levels is related to the fact that aircraft does seem over-slippery as the altitude winds down and particularly when 'dirty'?

3.The Autothrottle mod seems to sort some issues but isn't quite perfect.

4.I still don't remember these aircraft as having such a poor climb rate above FL200. Recent mods are much better but still a little low. But then I'm getting on and may be suffering from memory fade!

Mike

Hm... i think, it's dependent on the situation. On my last flight climb to FL300, it wasn't a smooth level capture. The ATHR was moving up and down a few times before he found the right thrust position (A320 CFM).

I am having the same issues. Flys fine, but it is impossible to land. I capture the localizer and Gs, but the aircraft dives abruptly and overspeeds and becomes unstable.

Help please !

Michael

I am having the same issues. Flys fine, but it is impossible to land. I capture the localizer and Gs, but the aircraft dives abruptly and overspeeds and becomes unstable.

Help please !

Michael

mleuck, I would recommend that upon capturing the glide slope, you disengage the autothrottle (move the thrust lever out of CLB and right-click the A/THR button on the MCP or use the A/T DISENGAGE keyboard shortcut within FSX). That way, you can control how much thrust the engines provide. If the aircraft is still unstable on autoland, put her down manually. Remember that the automation is there to help the pilot, but you are still in command of the aircraft. If you would relieve a failing human of his duties, why would you treat a failing computer any different?

Also, it would seem that slower spool times on the IAE engines are also observed in real life.

mleuck, I would recommend that upon capturing the glide slope, you disengage the autothrottle (move the thrust lever out of CLB and right-click the A/THR button on the MCP or use the A/T DISENGAGE keyboard shortcut within FSX). That way, you can control how much thrust the engines provide. If the aircraft is still unstable on autoland, put her down manually. Remember that the automation is there to help the pilot, but you are still in command of the aircraft. If you would relieve a failing human of his duties, why would you treat a failing computer any different?

Also, it would seem that slower spool times on the IAE engines are also observed in real life.

Ok... but Airbus FCOM says it's best not to disengage the ATHR even on approach

However I "thrust" in AS for a definitive fix :)

Ok... but Airbus FCOM says it's best not to disengage the ATHR even on approach

This is correct.

Please consider the wind status; ATHR do not anticipate the variation in relative air speed or induced drag in recovering GS status (and pitch). In this situation the FCOM requires ATHR ON but on a selected speed calculated Vref+5+wind.At the Vapp as shown in the speed strip you can add up to 10 Kt until the descent is stabilized.

In the old times when there was not any automation in fuel management it was possibile mantain costant the pitch and the angle of descent applying this formula. Only in the last hundreds feet an energic spool up was commanded finalized to improve some degree in pitch, usefull to achieve the best angle in flare.

Autothrust is recommended to make use of the 'groundspeed mini' function, which is a kind of energy management system.

However, manual thrust can be used if a manual landing is to be performed & is practised under suitable conditions.

Hi Folks.

I thought I'd just mention that I've just repeated the test flight I reported in #114 but this time using the A319 CFM . So much better! No issues to report* and none of the Autothrottle or power/drag issues encountered on the IAE variant at lower levels/approach. A much better simulation experience all round for me.

*I actually levelled at FL290 then continued climb to FL330 just to see how the climb rate was at a higher level. Climb rate above FL290 at exactly the same weights and speeds was 1000fpm which still seems a little sluggish to me and is pretty much identical to the lower powered IAE variant. I'll stand to be corrected by someone who actually flies these aircraft though.

Mike

Hey Guys,

I have tested a little bit. My Airbus does not swing even with Active Sky Next when it is leveling off a flightlevel below the level mentioned in INIT-page on MCDU. I was climbing to FL130 with FL350 for the INIT-page. When I was finally cruising on FL130, I switched the INIT-FL350 to FL150 an climbed that. At FL150 I got the swining thrust. Can anyone of you confirm that? When the Airbus is leveling off a flightlevel below the level mentioned in MCDU the thrust works as it is supposed to be.

no for me there is no diffrent! Init page for example Fl330, level of at 5000 feet, climb to 10000 feet, 20000 feet and 33000 feet! No swing above 20000 feet! everything below pitching and swinging!

Archived