Swinging thrust (a bit annoying)

matchball

Hello AS.

I have had the A318/A319 and A320/A321 since the release. But just suddenly couple days ago I started to have this extremely annoying problem. At the final approach phase, when the SPEED mode is active the thrust swings up and down. This causes the failure of the FMGS to maintain the VAPP and it goes too low. Taking the thrust to manual control it still looks very wrong and weird.

So to demonstrate, I did a quick video for you. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/ktduzyst3EU

I have fully reinstalled both A319 and A321 and also deleted any existing folders of the Airbus and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have the same issue as Christian Wopp: for example, when the aircraft levels off at FL200, the thrust fluctuates up & down quite dramatically, taking several seconds before it settles down at the required cruise setting. During this time, the aircraft maintains airspeed & there is a gentle reduction of vertical speed as the aircraft levels: it is only the thrust that is unstable.

I have the same issue as both members above: normal fsx install, no weather-add on or the like, installed version 1.1 of Airbus 320/321. When reaching top of climb, the thrust swings for several seconds quite heavily and then settles down to expected level.

Just to add: aside from this a very happy customer, enjoying the product, great job Aerosoft team.

Roger that.

FYI: it does not seem to be an issue at relatively low levels, such as when complying with altitude constraints when following a SID. But it is definitely an issue at FL200 for me. (I have not tried every level!)

Replicated for the altitude capture phase (ALT*) in our internal builds with clear weather (no wind/no turbulence) and high frame rates.

Thanks for your reports, folks!

EDIT:

Under the same conditions (no/clear weather) I canNOT replicate this issue for the approach phase. As a test, could you pls. try your approaches with all weather cleared out from the sim? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, since installing version 1.21, the behaviour has changed but is still performing in an undesirable manner:

Now, when levelling off at altitude, the IAS increases to approx. 10 kts above target speed, following which there is a major thrust reduction until speed reduces to target & then thrust stabilises at the appropriate cruise setting.

However, I am now getting thrust instability when levelling off at lower altitudes (e.g. during a SID) which did not occur before: very large a & rapid decreases/increases in thrust, taking several cycles before stabilising at something sensible.

Same behavior with my Version 1.2.1. A319 not Level off correctly. Thrust swings up and down, as reported by Skyrideruk and Christian. Without taking a hand manually, the aircraft is climbing and climbing. Manual control works out finally, but it was not easy and feels somehow out of control. (OK, I'm a new Airbus Pilot :) ) After manually stabilizing at FL310 the managed mode operates again. Desending and landing works like a charm.

best regards Bernhard

• Aerosoft

I just done a few test on a 100% clean FSX (and FSX Steam). The only edit was the high mem tweak. I could see a little bit of an effect like you describe and discussed it with one of the real pilots in our team. He also had noticed it and did not find it incorrect as the real aircraft also does not do that 100% smoothly. We will continue to monitor this effect.

If you have not already done so, can I suggest that you view the behaviour when levelling off at, say, 5,000', speed 250 kts, in managed climb mode, typical of flying an SID?

This behaviour was not there before the latest update & is very unlike the real aircraft.

If you have not already done so, can I suggest that you view the behaviour when levelling off at, say, 5,000', speed 250 kts, in managed climb mode, typical of flying an SID?

This behaviour was not there before the latest update & is very unlike the real aircraft.

I can confirm this behaviour and totally agree with you

Is this the same effect as can be seen in Cobolman's video about flying a custom route from Gatwick to Manchester?

On the SID out of Gatwick, there are two step climbs of 1,000'. In managed mode, the engines spool up (and then back down) three times during both of the short climbs (at 23:15 and 29:30 in the video). The aircraft doesn't overshoot the new height constraints, but my feeling is that real life behaviour is smoother and the engine power doesn't rise and fall like that.

Not seen the video, so can't say.

You are correct in saying that the engine power does not rise & fall like that: in managed climb mode, for 'small' level changes, you should get reduced climb power, in order to maintain target speed with a sensible ROC.

I can't remember the exact figures, but it's something like this: for changes of 1000'/2000', you will get a rate of climb of maybe 1000/2000 FPM. Whatever it should be, something has changed since the original release, since the original release did not behave like this.

Just installed Hotfix 1.21B: The aircraft is now much better at maintaining target speed (well done!), but the thrust is still very unstable, with much cycling (increase/decrease) as before, with associated oscillation in pitch.

Archived