Framerate issues, revisited again

• Deputy Sheriffs

I want to let you know that I discovered the following:

After installing a new graphic card NVidia GTX 780 on my medium/high end PC I was not satisfied with the result e. g. the FPS I got. I could not get more than 20 FPS (using Aerosoft A320/321, clear weather at an add-on airport and FSX Scenery settings “Ultra High”). So I started to investigate – playing with all possible settings and to make the long story short: The reason was that I used the FPS-limiter in NVidia-Inspector - setting it to 30 FPS - as well as the one in FSX - setting it to 31 (as recommended in various documents). After setting the FSX Target Frame Rate to “unlimited” my FPS increased by app. 10 FPS – now to around 30.

I do not know if this is just related to the Airbus because I do not have any other complex aircraft installed for testing p. e. like one from PMDG.

Regards,

Rolf

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothing magic! sure you get better frames but stutternigs or/and blurry textures! This depends on your hardware! for me a nogo and i limit my fsx since i can remember always between 22-25! Best results so far, but not with the airbus!

No, we have so far been unable to find any relation. And it actually would be extremely strange if there would be one as AES is dormant until it is called up.

Thanks Mathijs for your reply.

Just for info my insistence about this problem is not a "caprice" related to low FPS. I accept a low FPS if they are more o less constant around at average value, but in my case the oscillation range is around 15-20 FPS. This lead a very annoying Simulation and it prejudices the good product that I think it is A320.

Could a Video help to explain the problem?

I would endorse Francescom's point. While accepting the fps is a function of individual system performance and the number of add-ons in use, the new Airbus family does suffer from fluctuating fps over a range of 1-to-4 (ie. 5-20 fps or 15-60fps) over a 10-15 sec period. Other sophisticated and processor heavy aircraft simulations do not suffer this issue. It appears that the aircraft processing loading is not evenly and correctly distributed - a basic realtime programming issue. Further work is required to improve this and improve a great product.

• Aerosoft

I would endorse Francescom's point. While accepting the fps is a function of individual system performance and the number of add-ons in use, the new Airbus family does suffer from fluctuating fps over a range of 1-to-4 (ie. 5-20 fps or 15-60fps) over a 10-15 sec period. Other sophisticated and processor heavy aircraft simulations do not suffer this issue. It appears that the aircraft processing loading is not evenly and correctly distributed - a basic realtime programming issue. Further work is required to improve this and improve a great product.

I have explained the reasons for that several times. There is nothing that can seriously be done about that and we are not working on that. I am sorry you do not agree with that assessment of the situation.

• Aerosoft

Thanks Mathijs for your reply.

Just for info my insistence about this problem is not a "caprice" related to low FPS. I accept a low FPS if they are more o less constant around at average value, but in my case the oscillation range is around 15-20 FPS. This lead a very annoying Simulation and it prejudices the good product that I think it is A320.

Could a Video help to explain the problem?

A video is not needed, I fully accept that it happens on your system.

There is just not a lot we can do about that, it's not happening on other systems, but we do know that when the simConnect bus get's overloaded these problems can happen. How and why that bus get's to be too busy is not clear. I have seen it on my laptop but after I did a re-install of Windows and P3D I have not seen any serious events. So we assume there is a local element. But what.... 15 fps variation would be normal at fps around 50, but not at 25.

To be clear, we are not working on this issue as we can not recreate this on a clean machine.

• Aerosoft

I did some more experimentation on framerate fluctuations on a brand new machine I got on loan from Dell. It's a X51 with a Core i5 and a GTX 750Ti. Windows 8.1. I just installed FSX Gold, Airbus and Aerosoft Berlin and added the high mem tweak. Nothing else. Did not even remove the crapware. Using low settings of mesh and autogen so we can see the effect of the aircraft more clearly.

Globally I see a fps variation of around 15%. Very much in the expected region. As long as you do not use any FPS limiters that mess things up that leaves me with more then enough fps for the system. The variation is higher than with other aircraft, but as explained, running many processes at frame by frame base does have its effects. Unless we want a simpler FBW system we got to do what we do.

post-43-0-78912300-1417107500_thumb.png

I did some more experimentation on framerate fluctuations on a brand new machine I got on loan from Dell. It's a X51 with a Core i5 and a GTX 750Ti. Windows 8.1. I just installed FSX Gold, Airbus and Aerosoft Berlin and added the high mem tweak. Nothing else. Did not even remove the crapware. Using low settings of mesh and autogen so we can see the effect of the aircraft more clearly.

Globally I see a fps variation of around 15%. Very much in the expected region. As long as you do not use any FPS limiters that mess things up that leaves me with more then enough fps for the system. The variation is higher than with other aircraft, but as explained, running many processes at frame by frame base does have its effects. Unless we want a simpler FBW system we got to do what we do.

attachicon.giffps.png

Hi Mathijs,

your fps is ok and it is what I Have on A319 CFM. If they were always as you show for me it would perfect.

How can set the FPS to show you the my Variation?

Do you think that a replacement of SimConnect.dll could solve the problem?

• Aerosoft

Hi Mathijs,

your fps is ok and it is what I Have on A319 CFM. If they were always as you show for me it would perfect.

How can set the FPS to show you the my Variation?

Do you think that a replacement of SimConnect.dll could solve the problem?

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?179358-How-to-show-average-frame-rate-in-FSX

I have no idea if replacing the dll would help, but I advise you to wait a few days until we are ready to update all files.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?179358-How-to-show-average-frame-rate-in-FSX

I have no idea if replacing the dll would help, but I advise you to wait a few days until we are ready to update all files.

Hi Mathijs,

I added the Text String in the FSX.cfg as suggested by your link.

I started FSX and I loaded A319 CFM. The results are in the Picture 1. As you can see the variations is around 15% and all is OK.

After that I closed the flight and I loaded the A320 CFM. Surprisingly also in this case the FPS was ok as you can see in the Picture 2, as well as for the A319 IAE.

Since I haven't modified everything except the text in FSX.cfg It seemed me strange that all was ok only with the variation in the FSX.cfg, I Rebooted the PC in order to reply this good performance.

Unfortunately the problem was not solved as you can see in the picture 3, where I have 10.5 with minimum and 49% of variation...this is not normal. This big variation tends to increase when I Release the Parking Brake. I rebooted several times both the FSX and PC and sometime I Obtained the same performance as picture 2, but I don't know why...

Windows 8.1

Intel Core I5 3.2 GHz

8GB RAM

Radeon R7-200 Series 2GB

FSX Default.

Some AFCAD Installed.

IVAO IVAP Installed.

FSUIPC.

AES Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 fully Updated.

post-109532-0-88245400-1417123143_thumb.

post-109532-0-77385600-1417123190_thumb.

post-109532-0-92907800-1417123267_thumb.

Hi all

Since January 2014 I am running FSX, never had issues with any off AIRBUS versions so far.

Even with the last A318/319 and ASN SP1 B5410, I have also the A320/321 but didn't install because I came in front off the topics issue!!!

Two weeks ago my GPU went dead, a GTX275 which I had for almost 4 something years and had run perfectly, even with FSX and DX10 activated.

Yesterday I have installed my new GPU a GTX770 and done some test with the FSX, everything was OK but the moment I select the A319 with ASN running, I have experience a heavy lost off frame rates.

Today I have continue my tests and read here the forum to find a solution. I have delete my FSX.cfg, reset NVIDIA Inspector , everything set to default and started from scratch tweaking FSX.

Never had to much inside and those are the ones I have and make my today's tests,

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 --- I am posting also this because I have changed the value from 40 to 80

WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14 --- Hyper-threading Is also disabled by BIOS
[Main]
DisablePreload=1

post-7338-0-00250800-1417291643_thumb.jp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going everything here at forum and trying out, the only setting that is working and have positive influence and I have NO frames issues, is the following and that's only till I switch on the weather radar,

1. [WXRadar] WXBackgroundScan=0

The rest from bellow as I am describing,

1. The ECAM rendering rendering makes no difference on or off.
  2. By deactivating the "repeating overcast pattern fix" from ASN has an impact but still very small one
  3. I have try many combinations and playing around with the ECAM, ASN fix value, "[WXRadar] WXBackgroundScan" value but the influence is 0 or very small

Tomorrow I'll remove AIRBUS and ASN and re-install them, hope it make a difference.

it seem my problem is solved!

1 create a new fsx.cfg (does it before and same bad fps, so a fresh fsx.cfg doesnt help but...)

2 create a new shader

3 create a new logbook file

4 make a registry repair with the fsregistry program

and now same stable frames as before with the old AXE

Hi all

Since January 2014 I am running FSX, never had issues with any off AIRBUS versions so far.

Even with the last A318/319 and ASN SP1 B5410, I have also the A320/321 but didn't install because I came in front off the topics issue!!!

Two weeks ago my GPU went dead, a GTX275 which I had for almost 4 something years and had run perfectly, even with FSX and DX10 activated.

Yesterday I have installed my new GPU a GTX770 and done some test with the FSX, everything was OK but the moment I select the A319 with ASN running, I have experience a heavy lost off frame rates.

Today I have continue my tests and read here the forum to find a solution. I have delete my FSX.cfg, reset NVIDIA Inspector , everything set to default and started from scratch tweaking FSX.

Never had to much inside and those are the ones I have and make my today's tests,

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 --- I am posting also this because I have changed the value from 40 to 80

WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14 --- Hyper-threading Is also disabled by BIOS
[Main]
DisablePreload=1

attachicon.gifgdfgdfcgfc.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going everything here at forum and trying out, the only setting that is working and have positive influence and I have NO frames issues, is the following and that's only till I switch on the weather radar,

1. [WXRadar] WXBackgroundScan=0

The rest from bellow as I am describing,

1. The ECAM rendering rendering makes no difference on or off.
  2. By deactivating the "repeating overcast pattern fix" from ASN has an impact but still very small one
  3. I have try many combinations and playing around with the ECAM, ASN fix value, "[WXRadar] WXBackgroundScan" value but the influence is 0 or very small

Tomorrow I'll remove AIRBUS and ASN and re-install them, hope it make a difference.

Today

I have removed the A318/319, clean everything and done also a clean up with CCleaner.

After installing the A318/319 and opening ASN the frame issues was there again, the only solution was again this "[WXRadar] WXBackgroundScan=0", till you open the weather radar, by closing it again no problems.

I have installed then the A320/321, same the frame issues are still here.

After installing the A320/321 at "AB_ND_GDI.ini" the tweak "[WXRadar] WXBackgroundScan=0" is not present.

I have copied inside, would that be a problem?

Thanks

• Deputy Sheriffs

I have copied inside, would that be a problem?

No, both, the A31x and the A32x, in this case use the same folder and files. And if you install the A32x after the A31x it will of course overwrite older files.

Hi,

I re-installed the A320/A321 and I added "WXBackGroundScan=0 and for the moment it works fine. I cross The fingers...

It is strange because I have already inserted the string but for some reasons did't work

• 2 weeks later...

I've just reinstalled the 1.21 version and read again the documentation of the configuarator. I've desactivated the "Force Ecam Software Rendering" button and my FPS increased (4 fps more than before, for example on Madeira Scenery from 18 to 22fps). With a good graphic card it seems a good idea to switch off this button.

Archived