Twin otter extended and F1 GTN

Nirgal76

As soon as the Twin Otter can be retrofitted with the GTN 750, I buy it straight away. I want this plane very much, but the default GPS and the default database hold me back. I hope it will be possible to add the GTN 750. Ready to pay extra for it too.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have such an amazing product in the Twin Otter. Overall it's a solid package, with multiple planes and a beautiful model. Adding the 750 on top would send it to the top of my "Recommended" list for anyone.

Its a pitty we cannot enjoy the  GTN 750, in our beloved Twin otter. I wold pay for an update, V2, or whatever it includes a proper GPS and database.

Speaking about another dev with two letters and a number in its name, they update the whole line of products from time to time. Next will be an 8 years old addon getting updated.. free of charge.

There you see it's not only about money, but also about a lot of passion for the planes they make.

They are not the only example however.

It's a pity AS is considering an addon finished and finished forever, and I will consider this in my next aircraft purchases.

Of course the initial prices will be higher, but the update policy will benefit me more in the end.

Count me in for the GTN integration. They second transponder can stay since most have a second transponder. Not sure if it is ever used but I guess that's up to the developers to decide. On another note, the Twin Otter that this product was based on was very unique in that it had an Autopilot. Most Twin Otters have standby attitude indicator in that place or a Sandel ST3400 type unit. I say the best way to upgrade this product is to offer options for the cockpit such as an AP and non AP version. It doesn't seem like there will be much improvement to the Engine simulation to match a well known turbo prop currently on the market, so I think customers will be willing to pay a small upgrade for cockpit options.

Just to add, another reason why its important to keep this product updated is that it's very likely that no one else will produce a Twin Otter product and I would be very surprised if anyone attempted a new version to the level that Aerosoft has with various models included. So If this is the last Twin Otter the FS community will see for sometime, please offer some options to keep the interest growing.

• 2 weeks later...

+ 1 who would pay for a GTN 750 integration. What about an updated version with this included plus a better ground handling? OK, I understand a real working beta range of the engines seems not no be possible as long as you don't want to generate the whole flight dynamics outside FS (like Majestic does). But in many cases there is a good compromise and you can handle the aircraft well on the ground. However for the AS Twin Otter: it looks fantastic, it flies fantastic, there are a lot of fantastic details included, the checklist feature is fantastic. But ground handling is a nightmare, as I could never really control ground speed with the throttles - either it stands still at 100% rpm, or it accelerates like a rocket. This and a GTN integration would be a very very nice option for an update in my eyes, which I would pay quite some extra money for.

Cheers, Dominik

On 11/25/2014 at 0:14 AM, JimmyRFR said:

Very glad to see this discussed. I would be more than happy to pay for an upgrade to include the GTN 750 as an option!!

Count me in also

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. As said I am in too for the GTN and the MV radar.

Maybe.. Only maybe.. Marcel Felde's PT6 engine simulation could find its way into a Twotter V3 including the cockpit changes. I would more than happily spend another 30 euros if this would happen.

And to add to the GTN and REX/Milviz Radar ... FSFX Immersion package would be fantastic, especially if they included their true 3D lights.  So please go find the original dev/devs, dig up the source files, and make it happen!! :) 

Please!

Cheers, Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Flight1 is going to release the GNS 430 and the GNS 530. They will come with a Gauge Configuration Utility.

Are we going to be able to integrate them into ouw beloved Twin otter? we'll see.

I have an option.  Leave the current otter as it is, and make a whole new otter that is a glass veriation and just include the GTN with it.

It is not a new idea.  Other developers have made new "glass" versions of existing aircraft with the upgrades.  I'd certainly love a chance to see the 2016 Otter in the Sim as an option for us, and I think the GTN would play very well with it:

You have two completely separate groups of flight simmers, and like the whole Ford vs. Chevy rivalry, each one thinks the other is nuts for wanting their aircraft with the avionics that they do.  Also, like Ford and Chevy lovers, the only way to really take advantage of the whole market is to offer both sides.  I am one of the VERY few (and I do mean very) minority enthusiasts that likes analog and glass both.  It depends on my mood and situation.  Lukla, for example.  I'll always fly analog into that airport because you never see glass flying in and out of there.  Almost every airline over there is analog, so flying glass would, in an immersion sense, feel weird to me.  

I see a potential here for other developers to come in (I say other developers because right now Aerosoft is way busy with a crazy amount of other projects already) and develop a new Twin Otter ... a modern one.  This will not even compete with Aerosoft becaue they already have the market on the analog lovers.  It's two entirely different markets altogether that can;t even be considered in the same ballpark.

So for a new Otter, if someone takes up such a task, offer two variants:

With the GTN:

Please login to display this image.

And full glass:

Please login to display this image.

And of course just let the current otter be because it already appeals to so many fans.  That way the current developers can keep working on their projects and other folks can have fresh new ideas on developing an already popular aircraft amongst the flight simulation community.

If Aerosoft did decide to pursue the route I described above, I think it would make a great paid expansion pack to bring in even more money, as well as give the community options.  Those who don;t like glass aren;t forced to buy it, and those who do love glass get the ability to tack on the advanced goodies.

EDIT:  Sorry about the quality of the GTN image.  It is a very low resolution pic and, to be frank, is the ONLY image I could find online of ANY otter using the GTN 750.  It's an advertisement by some after market modding firm that is willing to install it into an otter, but searching all over Google, I could not find any actual pictures of aircraft that actually bought this customization, leading to the conclusion that unless you are one of the few who have bought a GTN upgrade from this one single modder, the chances of you seeing a GTN in an otter n real life are REALLY slim.  However ... the glass picture is current production and looks REALLY appealing for an expansion/upgrade for the Twin Otter Extended product line.

Archived