How to handle arrivals on both runways at KVNY (Van Nuys)

In real-world operations at KVNY, VFR general aviation arrivals are routed to the shorter runway, 16L. IFR arrivals are routed to 16R and can use the ILS approach. Obviously, when there is heavy traffic, using both runways in parallel for arrivals and departures makes sense. However, in the sim, I do not know how to direct an aircraft either to take off or land on one runway or the other, as a real-life controller would. The sim seems always to select 16R for both takeoffs and landings even when I have enabled both runways for both. I am just wondering if the sim gives me the discretion to separate arrivals and departures by runway? It appears not but I may well be mistaken.

You can land aircraft on runway of your choice. It's up to you. As for the takeoffs it can't be split. If the shorter runway is too short for big aircraft they will only show up on the longer one but still some commercial jets might request takeoff from the shorter one.

Many thanks. I have now flown it a lot more; I trained and flew many hours around VNY and can say that the sim is quite realistic. For landings I am very happy to be able to assign 16L to slow GA aircraft for visual approaches so that they do not hold up the faster IFR approaches to 16R. Because there is only one runway available for takeoffs, however, no small GA aircraft in the sim ever take off from VNY because it would be impossible for there not to be anarchy between the slow a/c and the fast ones all taking off on 16R.

Archived