Airport ratings

You could try Van Nuys (KVNY) as the layout is quite simple, with one axis for approaching and departing aircraft. Use 16R and 16L for all takeoffs and landings to mirror real-life conditions. I suggest making it easy on yourself by doing the following:

- limit total aircraft at any one time in "Classic" mode to 15, or less if that gets too hectic. Maybe try 10...

- plan to "rack and stack" arrivals to hold at FIM to the west and PMD to the east, using 1000ft separations, with all a/c at 250kts, down to 210 when cleared for the ILS 16R.

- if you get an incoming Cessna 172 or other little single-engine propeller a/c, always approach it from the east so you can vector it for a visual approach to 16L. If you mix these putt-putters up with the IFR traffic, there will be chaos.

- always check the "automatically follow SIDS" box for departures. About 70% of departures from VNY will then require no more attention once cleared for takeoff.

I hope this helps. I know you probably wanted a sleepy little single-runway airfield but airports without published terminal, approach and departure routes do not exploit the full potential of this great sim and must get boring fast. The total aircraft counter is your friend.

Another great tip for you is to download the excellent Gatwick tutorials and documentation.

Can you tell me some more detail about approaches.

Under what circumstances will the airplane accept the approach? it keeps mentioning it does not like the angle, but I can't tell which angle.

What is the exact meaning of the "guide lines"

If I want an airplane to to an ILS approach how do I get him into the ILS? is that the same as dragging the plane onto the glide path?

I tend to find that the airplane will only accept approach is it is pointing toward the runway,. but then when it accepts the landing it turns so it is perpdendicular to the glide path.

why can't I tell it to proceed to land when it is perpendicular to the glide path?

thank you for all the answers so far

A

So I have been trying to get an airplane to do an APPR procedure, but I can't seem to get it to accept it.

At Dansk the ROLGI Navpoint. how do I get the airplanbe to start the approach procedure once it hits ROLGI without a command at that momen>?

You have to manually clear the aircraft for so called transition (by default they are marker as red lines on scope). The dashed blue line is runway center-line - dragging aircraft to it will clear it for visual approach. For ILS you need to enable it on the right sidebar in runways section. Then simply drag aircraft to light green ILS line.

For more details please take a look at that video for instance:

Or any other video that pops up on YouTube after typing Global Air Traffic control ;)

Archived