Preview : Aerosoft FSX military line-up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Groan. There always has to be one, doesn't there Mr. C.

I don't suppose you've managed to find a way to update or create a new version of the refuel module as well have you, Mathjis?

Ian P.

• Aerosoft
Groan. There always has to be one, doesn't there Mr. C.

I don't suppose you've managed to find a way to update or create a new version of the refuel module as well have you, Mathjis?

Ian P.

No, as far as we know now this is not possible in FSx. But we got a while to try to figure out ideas...

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand why the air force would think of retiring the A-10 after such a relatively short life, especially without a 1:1 replacement. It seems to me to be a perfect platform for what it does. I think it is a beautiful plane.

Awesome photos!

• Aerosoft
I don't understand why the air force would think of retiring the A-10 after such a relatively short life, especially without a 1:1 replacement. It seems to me to be a perfect platform for what it does. I think it is a beautiful plane.

Awesome photos!

Well, they TRIED to retire it twice before and every time they started a war and needed the aircraft. Keep in mind that destroying stuff with a few shells is a lot cheaper than sending a Hellfire towards it.

Note the fact that many modern navy ships are getting big guns these days, the kind that can hit target accurate over 50 miles at $2500 a shot. You might even have seen the news about the massive railgun the US navy is testing that should be able to hit targets at 200 miles.

Now, now, Mathijs. We must remember that the JSF and Lightning II can do *every* job an aircraft might need to, with one aircraft doing the job of five. Of course the US Military don't need anything but those two types!

(And if anyone outside the US Government actually believes that, I have some cure all snake oil you might be interested in... ;))

Cheers,

Ian P.

• Aerosoft
Now, now, Mathijs. We must remember that the JSF and Lightning II can do *every* job an aircraft might need to, with one aircraft doing the job of five. Of course the US Military don't need anything but those two types!

(And if anyone outside the US Government actually believes that, I have some cure all snake oil you might be interested in... ;))

Cheers,

Ian P.

Lol... In the second Iraq war killing tanks with missiles as the fast movers and the rotorheads liked to do, just became too expensive. Only the A10's could do it with a few shells cost effective (with the Iraqi crews watching from a safe distance, poor guys).

JSF and Lightning II are the same ugly thing. :wink:

Gino

:lol: umm now the Lightning II was the prototype ATF (YF-22A), the actual F/A-22 is called the Raptor. DSB or what they are called got it wrong with their YF-22 release too ... called it a YF-22 Raptor or something.

Funny, this seens to confuse people a lot :lol:

The problem with the A-10 are the uranium shells - the fine dust that emanates from the destroyed shells is believed to be poisonous to the human organism. But sh*t, I'm talkin about war here ... I think we should reduce that stuff to virtual online battles, less collateral damage, more fun for the politicians.

Meh. It's a computer with wings. Might as well just call it an Airbus... :lol:

(...waits for Chris B to throw something at me...)

I thought that was the way the US wanted to go anyway? Fight all their wars from a bunker somewhere using robots and computers... ;)

Like APFSDSDU tank rounds, the A-10 doesn't have to throw Depleted Uranium around. It's just more efficient than plain steel.

Anyway, the reason I think they should keep the A-10 around is because I am - and will always be - a lifeguard at heart. When the USAF had to do Combat Search and Rescue for the first time in anger since WW2, in Vietnam, they tried doing Rescue CAP (RESCAP) with Phantoms and Thunderchiefs. Excellent strike aircraft both, but low-and-slow loitering over a downed comrade? Utterly useless. Their response was to reactivate "obsolete" Skyraiders which proved massively successful in the role. The A-10 is the heir to that throne. Seeing an F-16 wheeling in two-mile circles over a wounded downed pilot won't keep the bad guys away. If every time they moved, a GAU-8A got pointed at them, they'd be rather less inclined to get too close. Plus, unlike the F-16 or any "fast" jet, the A-10 really has the loiter and rapid turn onto target capability and enough ordinance to be a real deterrent.

Ugly as stink, but you can't help but love the things... ;)

Ian P.

Hi Ian,

Agreed mate. And lets not forget that other great asset a CSAR aircraft needs...... the ability to take a hell of a lot of damage. This I think we can all agree the A-10 does very well. You'd certainly feel better having just banged out if you had a hog or two keeping the bad guys busy.

• 2 months later...

*hello? your brains still active?*

YOU'RE CARRYING AWAY!!! Stop talking about war - this is politicians' work.

as to the line-up: That's some great news. :D

I'd like to have a guess: The F-16 is gonna be released by the end of June at the latest.

Might that be accurate? (it's just a guess^^')

• 2 months later...