Switching from managed climb to selected (V/S) climb

bpcw001

Hi,

following situation:

- A319 (CFM or IAE model doesn't matter) is in managed climb

- pull the FCU V/S knob. Current positive V/S will be displayed in the associated window on the FCU

- Leave V/S unchanged

You'll observe that when doing this, the engines are starting to spool down the moment you pull the V/S knob, only to realize a little later that the aircraft is still in the climb and that power must be maintained to try to keep the airspeed, thus spooling up again.

Why this behavior? Why don't the engines just keep the power and react only when V/S actually gets changed? An engine spooldown during climb seems to be rather inappropriate.

Thanks for clarification.

• Deputy Sheriffs

In defence of our devs, the real plane also does this once in an while. Maybe it could be fine tuned a bit.

The auto thrust in the Airbus can be very "crude" with its thrust changes. It is always difficult to make smooth auto thrust changes when selecting VS and or changing the target speed.

I am not saying this is 100% like the real Airbus but it comes close as a feature of the real deal.

In defence of our devs, the real plane also does this once in an while. Maybe it could be fine tuned a bit.

The auto thrust in the Airbus can be very "crude" with its thrust changes. It is always difficult to make smooth auto thrust changes when selecting VS and or changing the target speed.

I am not saying this is 100% like the real Airbus but it comes close as a feature of the real deal.

No need for a defense. I just wanted to report this so you can make the Airbus even better :ididit_s:

Archived