F-Plan Discontinuity will not clear

BuddyDog

I downloaded the A 319 earlier this week, took about 4 tries through the tutorial F-plan (LOWI-LFMN) before I even began to get the hang of the the MCDU and using the checklist and co-pilot to fly. Finally able to complete a full tutorial flight.

So I tried to set up a free flight from KLAS-KDEN. First, unless it starts cold & dark, I seem to have that door issue.

Flight plan: RWY 25R, STAAV5 departure, DVC, WOLFF, then either STAR TELLR2 or CREDE3 for arrival, depending on KDEN runway in use.

After running the waypoints, I get to a VECTOR hdg for the appropriate RWY selected, then a Discontinuity, then the ILS headings.

I tried to clear the Discontinuity by hitting the CLR button then hitting the LSK next to the Discontinuity, but MCDU displays a message like "illegal".

Do I need to clear the Vector first, then the discontinuity?

Thamks!

you can't clear a disco,

I do so all the time...? If you can't clear a dico it usually is due to the waypoint before or after it which has to be deleted first.

I'd clear the Vector first. (I wouldn't add a Vector to the MCDU anyway but change to HDG mode?). Another option is to indeed use the Direct to option. I frequently do that when the plan on the ND suddenly shows odd things (often during the SID or STAR)).

Thanks for the tips. I will try it again, clr the vector, then the disco and see if that puts me on the approach. I was also wondering if the MCDU is like the Boeings, where you can LSK a waypoint, then LSK the waypoint over the disco to clear it.

Hi Otto,

Yes, I realize an Airbus is not a Boeing :mallet_s: , I was just wondering if you could overwrite a waypoint by hitting the LSK for the waypoint you want (selected), then insert it by LSK in the spot you want it in your route.

If you plan a flight without entering the STAR and RWY when initially entering the flight plan, is there a point of "no return" where it has to be entered before descent?

I tried the KLAS-KDEN again today and had problems. Once I got the the HDG part of the flight plan, I hit the HDG selector and turned to intercept the LOC, but the aircraft would not descend on the glide slope.

Maybe I am getting lost with some of the translation in the manuals, my apologies!

O.K. did the same flight again this morning, but this time I went ahead and entered the landing RWY (16L) and STAR (CREDE3) before pushback at KLAS. I had a double entry for WPT WOLFF (which is the transition to the STAR), deleted the first WOLFF, then again found the discontinuity, but this time I was able to clear it.

BuddyDog, with your earlier report did you notice whether the ND next waypoint was stuck on an earlier waypoint in your route? I suspect it was and I have reported this under 'Frozen Next Waypoint on ND'. Once this fault occurs you can neither modify your route (ie. add an arrival runway or STAR) nor delete the Discontinuity. The Airbus will continue to fly the entered route but with no next waypoint updates.

It is being investigated and a fix tested. However I am told it is a rare fault not seen by testers so all similar occurrences should be reported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I noticed on the first try was when I entered the STAR and RWY, for some reason the aircraft drifted way off course and I had to input a manual heading to get it back toward the waypoints. I don't really remember, but you could be right the the waypoint was stuck at WOLFF and not advancing until I made a manual course correction via the HDG knob.

Archived