I'm looking into getting a:

Intel@ Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz

Nvida GeForce 8800 GTX

4GB Low Latency DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

Nvidia nForce 680i SLI Motherboard

250GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM w/16MB Cache Hard Drive

700 Watt Power Supply

Vista Home Premium

What do you think Mathjiskok? i think I'll get better frames in the Jayhawk in the above system then what I have now:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Nvidia GeForce 6800 GTX

2 GB low latency DDR2 SDRAM

Asus SLI MB

WD Raptor 60GB

500 Watt PS

Windows XP

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about upgrading my system and (as I am no hardware expert at all) find this all very confusing. Currently I have the following setup:

AMD X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01GHZ

2GB DDR2 RAM

NVIDIA GForce 7800 GT

Windows XP

My system gets me frame rates of 20 – 25 at medium settings (or low settings when using a fast plane).

If I am getting this thread and the ACES blog right (hit me, I am not an expert):

- With DX 10 more cores will bring only slight improvement in frame rate, but improve the textures of the landscape surrounding you (something about each tile rendered by a different core).

- Faster cores will bring more improvement in frame rate than more cores.

- DX 10 may bring about a 20% improvement in frame rates at medium settings compared to DX 9 but mainly is improving graphics at high settings.

So if this is right, I could maybe consider getting a new core/mobo now. Next may be some more RAM. Then wait, what other people’s experiences are and finally perhaps upgrade to a new graphics card and Vista/DX10.

Is this about right? Would you rather get a 3 GHZ dual core or a 2 GHZ Quad core (prices are about the same)?

I wouldn't consider a quad, because using FSX it doesn't use the 4 cores at the same time, but only 2. So, for your needs i think that a dual core fits great. Consider that using windows Vista, as the newer operating system, it's not perfect, and also considerably slower than Windows XP, because it uses a lot of protection to install the software and not all the devices can be installed on it. If you want to upgrade your PC, maybe change only your processor. Mantaining your AMD you can buy for instance a 5600+, that i use now, it's fantastic and very very fast. I don't know how the coreDUo 2 works, anyway, in my experience, the AMD processors works better.

I don't know how the coreDUo 2 works, anyway, in my experience, the AMD processors works better.

Wow, where have you been Maurizio G? The current crop of Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs greatly outperform the AMDs and have for some time.

Anyways, prices will fall on quad-core CPUs around Christmas and especailly right after. While FSX doesn't utilize more than 2 cores, many games and applications will so I would buy quad in January/February.

While FSX doesn't utilize more than 2 cores, many games and applications will so I would buy quad in January/February.

I thought FSX uses now multi-cores with no limits? There was an video or an article... hm...

there you go:

In the video he is talking that they could use up to 256 cores (2:30min).

Wow, where have you been Maurizio G? The current crop of Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs greatly outperform the AMDs and have for some time.

Anyways, prices will fall on quad-core CPUs around Christmas and especailly right after. While FSX doesn't utilize more than 2 cores, many games and applications will so I would buy quad in January/February.

I knew the existence of the Core2 duo but i haven't had the opportunity to test it, so i can't talk about things that i haven't tested. Anyway i can say something.... attention in reading article, benchmarks and thing like this, because the theory is a thing and the pratic is another thing. Before to post comments about an argument, expecially regarding hardware components, you have to test accurately different machines. The videogames are not the only programs on the market. If you use severe professional applications i can assure you that things are differents.

Well...I stand corrected, thanks!

So anyway: lesson here is to buy quad core when prices come down after Christmas!

I would like to buy a quad core but Aerosofts addons are too good and so no money left :lol:

I wait for AMD. I am interested how good their new CPUs will be (perhaps I can afford one of the 3-Cores (announced for march 08 ). But anyway if we speak about a 8 core Intel (in the video and Marco also mentioned i). What type is this CPU? Something we can buy next year? Never heard of such a CPU.

Most problems for me are not the new CPUs but the constantley changing hardware and chipsets. Alsways need a new motherboard and RAM :?

Like the new Core2Duo with higher FSB. But thats the price for better performance I guess.

• 1 month later...
256 MB between 100 and 150 Euro you get good frame rates. BUT... not a good looking sim256

Well depends of settings

I got the a radeon X1300 256Mb, 2 gb ram, pentium D and i get around 8 FPS :x

with the wheeled beaver X in friday harbor:

lower res with graphics high, plane med high, AI at ultra high, weather med high, and scenery custom (med high with 1X low water, 1m res textures) and i put a higher res (1280x1024x32) and well 3 fps with also 2x high water. :evil: i put everithing at low and i get a max of 32 fps :roll:

EDIT: lol now i seen fps performance in graphic cards, Nvidia in first places, look down and you will see...x1300... :x http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_200...8&chart=289

well, my pc is 3 years old and when i bought it i made a big mistake: i bought a 64bit-CPU. BUT: I am still running 32bit so i could have bought a cheaper 32bit-CPU as well and would have saved money... until 4 or 8 cores are practicable it will take tame, and after 4 years at the latest you'll be upgrading your cpu again anyway so...

I have decided to buy a E6850. it has a FSB of 1333mhz and the cores run at 3GHz and the price is good at the moment but before i'll go to my local PC-shop and have myself advised...

I upgraded from a Core Duo to Core 2 Duo. Only other thing replaced was the motherboard (old motherboard didn't accept Core 2 Duo CPUs).

Performance went through the roof, literally (I've capped FSX to 20fps, which is ample).

Core Duo averaged 5-7 fps on medium low settings.

Core 2 Duo runs at 20 on medium high (locked), not found the limit yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

If you can get 20 FPS with your Spec could you please tell me where i'm going wrong?

I have the latest Gigabyte MoBo MA790FX-DQ6, AMD Phenom 9600 CPU, 4GB of OCZ RAM, and 2x Sapphire ATI 3870. My operating system is Vista. When i did a test flight in the default 737 over London and 2/3 performance i was only getting around 10-15 FPS???

Hi Barnesy,

Well, I'd say the Phenom is not as good as a Core2Duo or a Core 2 Quad... Are you running Vista 32 ou 64 ?

How is your PC running Crysis ;) ???

Crysis is GPU limited, FSX is CPU limited...

• Aerosoft
Hi,

If you can get 20 FPS with your Spec could you please tell me where i'm going wrong?

I have the latest Gigabyte MoBo MA790FX-DQ6, AMD Phenom 9600 CPU, 4GB of OCZ RAM, and 2x Sapphire ATI 3870. My operating system is Vista. When i did a test flight in the default 737 over London and 2/3 performance i was only getting around 10-15 FPS???

Your CPU is just not up to the job. For now forget about seriously good framerates with AMD chips, they just not provide the (multicore) horsepower for FSX. It's a damned shame AMD was (is) not able to keep up.