Spoilers not arming by CP on Appr if used during flight

S_D

Hi

Hopefully that title should be a good primer.

I've done some searching and found similar issues mentioned in these two threads:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/86360-a-lot-of-wierd-behaviour-bugs/?hl=spoilers

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/86228-spoilers-arm/

Basically, I'm flying a practically all auto flight and coming into a Cat3 ILS landing. P3Dv2. A319 IAE. 1.10 installed Checklist and co-pilot both ON.

Normally the spoilers arm during approach absolutely fine when called for. However, I had cause to use the spoilers during descent (it called for more drag), and the spoilers then didn't arm during the CL.

I tried arming and then disarming with my mouse (left click, right click), but the CP kept calling for spoilers. The only way the CL would proceed would be by skipping the item.

I should add that when I used the spoilers during descent I set and reset them during using the mouse only.

Thanks!

Simon

To be slightly more precise on that last point, I set the spoilers during decent by using the mouse 'clicking and dragging' the lever, if that makes sense. Just in case it's in any way related.

OK thanks - I'd held off installed it so far as it only claims to fix zoom issues from Mathijs own's post. That's why I'm still on 1.10 (SP1).

I'd had the problem as described here:

And that IS fixed, but only assuming that you don't actually use the speed break during the flight. Then it is 'broken' for me. I'll try tonight anyway.....

OK I finally found time to install 1.12 this evening and perform exactly the same flight as before, again operating the speed brake manually during descent.

Unfortunately the same issue occured. Spoilers were called for in the CL, and kept repeating despite me setting them manually and not (left click, right click, left click, as before). It even said ground spoilers armed in the upper ECAM display! But still the CL didn't proceed until I 'skipped' the item.

Consequently they weren't deployed after touch down, despite being called.

What's odd though is that they were 'disarmed' as part of the after landing CL. Very strange.

All in all really odd. I'd appreciate any other thoughts, and as has been noted others have experienced it too.

All the best

Simon

Hi Simon, this is very strange. The question is whether it is an aircraft spoiler arming issue or a problem with the CL recognising the spoiler arm status.

When you say you can manually arm the spoilers with the mouse or keys (Shift+/), do you get see and/or hear the lever move into the forward detent position. The fact that the ECAM(U) display shows armed indicates that this is happening. The other strange thing is that you say that the spoiler are not deploying automatically on touch down. I have never experienced this.

If the above is working, then the problem is with the aircraft-CL interface.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes I can see the lever moving, and I can see it 'armed' in the ECAM display. However:

The question is whether it is an aircraft spoiler arming issue or a problem with the CL recognising the spoiler arm status.

The fact that the spoilers aren't arming automatically AND that the CL doesn't recognise that they're armed suggests that it's both the issues you state.

I'm going to have a go at reinstalling the A318/9 tomorrow if I get a chance to see if the issue persists...

Thanks

Simon

:(

I think that smiley says it all. A full reinstall of A318/9 (and registry cleanup) and 1.12b installed and it exhibited the same behaviour...

I also have this problem, even though I arm the spoilers when the checklist calls it, it doesn't accept and repetedly keeps saying "ground spoilers". The spoilers are also shown as "armed" on the upper ECAM. Luckily you can skip items of the checklist via the right MCDU but such an essential thing as the landing checklist just has to work properly.

I hope this gets fixed as I am really enjoying the A319 overall.

A further update. I've tried the step-by-step flight again twice. Operating spoilers in flight - issue occurs as described.

Spoilers not operated in flight - CL passes correctly. However, spoilers still not deployed on landing despite being called.

I think I'll do a complete P3D reinstall over the next couple of days.

I can confirm this too. Am using the A319 germanwings IAE model. I am not using copilot actions so do every needed action by myself. "Ground spoilers" is called by the female voice according to the app checklist and although I set it right and even hear the click and see them armed on the MCDU no position is accepted. I then hear the female voice every few seconds asking for "ground spoilers" "ground spoilers" until I switch off on the parking position. This is annoying and there is sort of voice overlay with the following checklists.

Good to see this case as "being researched". ;)

Leslie

OK I think I'm making good progress troubleshooting this.

I removed ALL of my P3Dv2 install, orbx etc. Cleaned out the registry etc. Then installed just P3Dv2, and the A318/A319. I always use the step-by-step LOWI/LFMN as my test flight.

So, even on this naked P3D install with only the Airbus installed it still exhibited the behaviour above. Obviously this was now something to do with my system. Then I recalled back to my installation procedure - I had only installed SIMCONNECT from FSX SP2/X Pack with P3D, not the earlier versions. So I installed the previous two as well (SP1 and RTM) and bingo, CL now passes correctly. What's odd is that I have never needed the earlier versions in the past - v1.00 of the Airbus worked for me without the earlier versions. Also the displays lit up and switches worked, which is usually a sign of a working SIMCONNECT install. I guess that when something changed prior to 1.10 of the Airbus with the spoilers and the 'codes' behind them it changed to rely on the earlier SIMCONNECT.

So, the flight completed well.

The only thing that still doesn't work is that the spoilers aren't deployed after touchdown despite being called for.

However, as far as I can see everything else is good. Sorry for the 'wild goose' chase with this, and any assistance with this last point would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Simon

Check your throttle calibration, they must be at complete idle detend to deploy

And as it's supposed to be automatic (according to the airbus manual) is the lever supposed to move, or do the spoilers deploy automatically without that?

No S_D, the spoiler lever remains in the forward Spoiler Arm detent and does not move or need to be moved. This is an Airbus.

The spoilers will deploy when they are armed, the throttles are at IDLE (therefore need to ensure they are calibrated to give no output when fully retarded) AND when the weight is on all 3 landing gear legs.

You should see the following spoiler deployment on the ECAM FCTL page:

post-103067-0-88213900-1414346153_thumb.

And if you look outside, all the wing spoiler will deploy to kill the wing lift and add some drag:

post-103067-0-51985300-1414346161_thumb.

I hope that helps.

Hi Andrew,

That's immensely helpful, thanks. I just did the step by step again and used simultaneous inside and outside views, and the spoilers deployed correctly.

I guess the 'ground spoilers' call is not a call for them, but recognition that they have deployed!

So it's all good.

Sorry for taking anyone's time investigating this, and confirmation of how it all works.

Lesson of the day - make sure ALL THREE, NOT JUST ONE of the simconnect installs are done.

Thanks!

Simon

Guys :(

I just installed 1.12c, did another flight, and the issue seems to be back :(:( :(

I don't have time tonight to do another flight to test, but has anything changed re: 1.12c?

This was OK only yesterday after installing ALL simconnect modules, but installing ASN and 1.12c tonight has stopped it working again....

The spoilers call in the final CL kept repeating. I armed the spoilers manually, 'skipped item', and then it got stuck on landing memo too, so I had to skip that also...

As I say the only thing changed is 1.12c and ASN install (first time I installed that since wiping out my P3D install a few days ago)

Well, I removed and reinstalled all 3 SimConnect modules AGAIN and that seemed to fix it. Very very strange. I don't know if 1.12C broke it again or ASN (which has it's own 'simconnect' as it were) but it worked ok on the step-by-step flight just now. I'll try a 'custom' flight later today after dealing with my own muppet customers... ;)

Well, I removed and reinstalled all 3 SimConnect modules AGAIN and that seemed to fix it. Very very strange. I don't know if 1.12C broke it again or ASN (which has it's own 'simconnect' as it were) but it worked ok on the step-by-step flight just now. I'll try a 'custom' flight later today after dealing with my own muppet customers... ;)

If its more random than check throttle calibration. again, they must be at idle for deployment

Thanks Joshua. I did recalibrate it after it was last suggested. It's definitely going to idle (and indeed is confirmed as idle in the display and also when 'retard' is called at 20ft or so.

As I say I'll do another flight if I can plan something fun... :)

Hi Joshua - sorry just realised that we're at cross purposes. They ARE deploying - that was my mistake in thinking that they weren't in the first place - but the issue that raised it's head again after 1.12c was installed on top of 1.12b, along with ASN being installed, was the the final CL was hanging on 'spoilers', and also the landing memo was hanging also, requiring me to skip both...

As I say i removed and reinstalled all 3 simconnect modules and that fixed it for the first test flight, but I was surprised I needed to do that at all after a straightforward patch...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Hopefully that title should be a good primer.

I've done some searching and found similar issues mentioned in these two threads:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/86360-a-lot-of-wierd-behaviour-bugs/?hl=spoilers

Basically, I'm flying a practically all auto flight and coming into a Cat3 ILS landing. P3Dv2. A319 IAE. 1.10 installed Checklist and co-pilot both ON.

Normally the spoilers arm during approach absolutely fine when called for. However, I had cause to use the spoilers during descent (it called for more drag), and the spoilers then didn't arm during the CL.

I tried arming and then disarming with my mouse (left click, right click), but the CP kept calling for spoilers. The only way the CL would proceed would be by skipping the item.

I should add that when I used the spoilers during descent I set and reset them during using the mouse only.

Thanks!

Simon

Exact the same problem here on the new A320/321.

Is there a solution for this version too?

Thanks!

I have two workarounds you could try to help bypass this problem.

1) Don't use the checklists. I personally have found them annoying for multiple reasons, and have not even touched them for months, neither on the old A320/321 nor the newer products.

2) If you must use checklists, consider purchasing FS2Crew Airbus Edition.

Archived