Mission: You going to land or are you going to swim?

• Aerosoft

pawg_fog.jpg

As we wait for FSx we can still have a lot of fun in FS2004! For example trying to stay alive in difficult ands dangerous situations. We decided to send some of the things we send to each other here in the office to customers to see if they can fly better then we do. This first Mission can only be used by customers who have Freight Dogs (or the Freighs Dogs scenery). Completing it will take something like 10 minutes if you are perfect. The scenery for this mission can be found here: http://aerosoft-shop.com/product_info.php?products_id=113

To fly this mission you need to unzip the attached file into the main fs2004 folder. To start it open the "Mission 1 - PAWG fog challenge " flight file you will find in the Aerosoft Flight Files section of the SELECT A FLIGHT option of FS2004.

Are you going to land or swim?

Okay, okay, how we got into this situation is another story, but it all started out as a wonderful flying day, with bright sunshine and a few clouds high up. But well… those few clouds have grown into large clouds and they dropped from the sky like a meteorite. If you would have any brains you would not have believed the met office and taken the car. But your son Brian (and he is in the cockpit with you) insisted and now you are up ##### creek without a paddle.

Situation

You are in the Piper Cub with about half an hour fuel left. Both you and the aircraft are only VFR capable and the weather has been IFR only for at least 15 minutes. The cloud ceiling is somewhere between 0 and 1000 feet and it is getting worse every minute. You got to find a place to land very soon. Of course, to make matters worse, you shiny new Garmin 295 has just informed you that it needs energy to function and that it just does not have any. Brian just got the last bits of data of the machine. PAWG (Wrangel) is about 8 miles on a bearing of 93°. You either make it there or you and Brian are going swimming. In April, in Alaska.

Some tips

You are locked below the clouds because you have no idea how high they go and there are some rather impressive mountains around. So you have to keep sight of the ground. If you climb into the clouds you will never know if you can descend without driving straight into another island.

You know the bearing to the airport and the distance so if you keep calculating you should be able to find it. The main problem is that you will have to fly around the islands between you and the airport. This will force you of course and means you will have to think real hard to calculate what headings to fly.

Instructions

- find the airport and land

- use of GPS, map, pause and slew are out of the question.

- any additional nav aids are forbidden

oops ... Mathijs ....

Where to find ... the att file ???

"" To fly this mission you need to unzip the attached file into the main fs2004 folder. To start it open the "Mission 1 - PAWG fog challenge " flight file you will find in the Aerosoft Flight Files section of the SELECT A FLIGHT option of FS2004 ""

Thanks

Janber

Strange... That mission looks very familiar, now where did I see it? AH Freight Dogs, The Scenery. I know I have flown it a few times and, to be honest, found it not challenging enough. High ground in front? Otherwise known how far to go and heading equals a timed dogleg 45 degrees left, back to course for a short while to pass known high ground (islands), same time dogleg -45 degrees and back to original heading maintaining sight contact with ground (well, water) and flying veeerrry carefully.

OK, there's the minimum fuel burn aspect to be considered, so you also need to get your engines and airspeed optimised. AND you have to account for wind. OR you can fly blind and climb into possibly crowded airspace and nasty shear winds and fly straight ahead over highest known points and hope ATC don't complain after ;) I did try that - now that is a challenge. Keeping straight and level, even if you've told FSUIPC to add severe turbulence and varying winds.

Now... if you just sent a "flight" and said the mission was "Hell or bust" and let the user be surprised... nasty, but nice. That would sort out these who did a proper flight plan from the freight doggers. It's enough "fun" setting the various FS9 internal aircraft failures to "high" and be caught out by various instrument failures, engine deaths... (if these can be randomised in to the adventures...)

• Aerosoft
oops ... Mathijs ....

Where to find ... the att file ???

"" To fly this mission you need to unzip the attached file into the main fs2004 folder. To start it open the "Mission 1 - PAWG fog challenge " flight file you will find in the Aerosoft Flight Files section of the SELECT A FLIGHT option of FS2004 ""

Thanks

Janber

mmm, seems the forum has a problem. I did reset and it's okay now.

• Aerosoft
Strange... That mission looks very familiar, now where did I see it? AH Freight Dogs, The Scenery. I know I have flown it a few times and, to be honest, found it not challenging enough. High ground in front? Otherwise known how far to go and heading equals a timed dogleg 45 degrees left, back to course for a short while to pass known high ground (islands), same time dogleg -45 degrees and back to original heading maintaining sight contact with ground (well, water) and flying veeerrry carefully.

OK, there's the minimum fuel burn aspect to be considered, so you also need to get your engines and airspeed optimised. AND you have to account for wind. OR you can fly blind and climb into possibly crowded airspace and nasty shear winds and fly straight ahead over highest known points and hope ATC don't complain after ;) I did try that - now that is a challenge. Keeping straight and level, even if you've told FSUIPC to add severe turbulence and varying winds.

Now... if you just sent a "flight" and said the mission was "Hell or bust" and let the user be surprised... nasty, but nice. That would sort out these who did a proper flight plan from the freight doggers. It's enough "fun" setting the various FS9 internal aircraft failures to "high" and be caught out by various instrument failures, engine deaths... (if these can be randomised in to the adventures...)

Well, not sure where you flew it but it was never released by us and certainly not part of the Freight Dogs package. The flight was missing, but it is added now.

Your solution seems accurate, but things might not turn out to be so easy. If you run into a second island you got to start dead recconing with two angles and four legs. Add a little wind, a bit of compass variables and you are looking at a lot of small problems.

Climbing into the clouds (not knowing what is in front of you, not knowing how thick it is, not knowing if there is a hole close enough to reach, without a responder code) would be something my old instructor would probably kick me for. If you don't make it to the airport the correct procedure would be a try to find some flat land to land on. Not too hard in a Cub.

Yes.... I know it's "risky", but that is the beauty of FS - you can be really naughty and no one cares. Lord knows where I saw that flight though. Lost for ideas. Oh well...

• 1 month later...

Hello Mathjis,

I assume this scenery offer is no longer valid with or without discount?

The supplied link leads to the old Aerosoft shop, and the only Freight Dogs item I can find at the new online shop is the scenery bundled with the DHC2 Beaver which I already have.

Ron