Difference of Height Above Wing (real world vs. Aerosoft A319)

mackalex

Hi!

I am loving the paint kit and have almost mastered the curving of stripes and such, but there is one issue that still remains that I have experienced while painting the A319. While painting the newest livery that Alitalia uses on their A319, I noticed that the bottom of the green stripe is too low relative to where the wing starts on the fuselage. The funny part is that I made sure that the stripe was the right height and placed correctly on the fuselage by seeing where it rests below the first left side door. If everything appears to be correct up until where the wing begins, what could be the issue?

I included the best real world shot I can find of my specific aircraft, showing the alignment of the green stripe below the first left side door and above the wing, as well as a simulator shot of my rendition.

Thanks!

Alex Makoviecki

Hi Alex!

First check if you have the copyright to display that photo (edit: photos now) here. Elsewise please remove the image(s) and post only the link.

The issue is that in our virtual 3D World we can draw more precise straight lines as it is possible in reality. While at first glance we think a realworld piant is made flat straight, it is not attached as perfect as we might think at the first look. As i witnessed that myself the first time i thought there would be something wrong on the virtual model. But later i found out, that the inaccuracies rooted in the original bird. The bends are often not strong seen in total, but intensify meter for meter. The untrained eye often not notices them at all. But when it comes to connections between several differently formed fuselage parts, the issues start

In case of the Alitalia i see a bend upward before the belly section. I just measured in photoshop and that underlined my feel again. So if you want to do it right you would first paint the belly section correct (area over the wing) and then try to unite the nose section lining in a very gentle curve. Note that the belly line on the real bird also isnt a straight line: It first curves a bit downward, then a lot upward again. So if you try to recreate a simple straight line, you will not fit the real thing! Yes, such subtle painting can be. But it makes us also aware, that reality often isn´t what we construct inside our minds... (that for the philosophic part of

repainting aircraft ;-) )

Archived