Aerosoft Dublin and Horizon VFR GenX Ireland East

I am aware that there was some discussion earlier in the year regarding problems when using Aerosoft Dublin with the Horizon VFR GenX Ireland East photographic scenery. At the time I was using the airport with FTX Republic of Ireland. However, I have since purchased and installed the Horizon photoscenery (because FTX Republic of Ireland is heavy on framerates and VAS, and also because those low resolution, unrealistic coastlines were annoying me). Unfortunately, I experienced the "default scenery bleed through" problem in the bay, and I have also noticed that the custom ground lighting (runway and taxiway) is not being displayed. Instead, I have default lighting. This is using P3D v2.4. I never had this latter problem with FSX, so perhaps someone can let me know how to solve this?

In addition, I do not see any evidence of a patch for full compatibility of Aerosoft Dublin with the VFR GenX Ireland East photoscenery. Surely this is something that should have been addressed?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Sorry, for answering late. I have no problems with Dublin. Although I do not have VFR GenX, I have e.g. no prpblems in combination with FTX IRL.

So why not asking VFR GenX for a fix?

I am not even sure if Horizon are in business anymore, so that is likely to be a dead end. By the way, should I be seeing the custom ground and runway lighting in P3D v2.4 when using Aerosoft Dublin? This wasn't a problem in FSX, but I am only seeing default lighting throughout the airport in P3D. This issue is apparent when using the FTX Republic of Ireland scenery or the Horizon VFR GenX Ireland East photoscenery.

Well, after some investigation I get the impression that the custom taxiway and runway lighting does not work in P3D. I noticed that the BGL files for these are switched off, and that the P3D AFD file has had the standard runway and taxiway lighting activated. I am aware that other developers have had problems with lighting in P3D, so I guess that this must be a temporary solution? Is that mentioned anywhere in the documentation?

I seem to have found a solution to this problem. If I remove the cvxDUBLIN_GROUND.bgl file, and replace it with the EIDW_ADEX_DublinInt_CVX.bgl file from the PlaySims/VFRGenX/Volume9/Airports/Scenery folder, the default scenery in the bay vanishes without affecting the terrain elevation of the airport with respect to the photographic scenery. You just have to make sure that the AIRPORTS entry for VFRGenX 9 in the Scenery Menu is disabled.

Can you please test and confirm this? If it works, can you please let other users of VFR GenX Volume 9 Ireland East and Aerosoft Dublin know about this fix?

It seems that you don't even need to move the EIDW_ADEX_DublinInt_CVX.bgl file from the PlaySims/VFRGenX/Volume9/Airports/Scenery folder, so long as you have the VFR9 Ireland East airports active in the Scenery Menu. I guess I took the scenic route to this conclusion because I thought that I would need to disable these airports to avoid conflicts with Aerosoft Dublin!

I got there in the end :)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for sharing your trouble shooting and solution. Your combination of add-ons is probably a bit uncommon, resulting in the lack of responses besides Otto. That said, there's certain to be at least one other user with the combination and you've helped them.

I still have the problem of no custom runway and taxiway lighting in P3D, and yet someone else has told me that this is working in P3D v2.4 on his PC. Is it supposed to work in P3D?

EDIT: He has mistaken the default lighting for custom lighting.

Archived