Question about CFM engines modeled

bpcw001

Hi,

just a question:

According to CFM, the CFM56-5B4 has a 27K thrust rating, which is quite some power for an A319. This engine variant appears to be primarily used on the bigger A320, so it probably should rock the socks off an A319 performance-wise.

Despite of that, I find that compared to the IAE V2527 A319 model (which skyrockets the airplane into the sky even when fully loaded), the CFM A319 feels quite weak when using the same loadout, especially when climbing into the higher levels.

Now, I am not a real-world airbus driver or engine engineer, so just as a question: are the IAE V2527 engines so much more powerful than the CFM engines at the nominal same thrust rating (27K)?

A heavily loaded IAE A319 can maintain climb rates around 1800-2000 fpm into high flight levels, whereas the CFM A319 at the same loadout often crawls along at < 1000 fpm (same weather conditions given).

Any real-world experience input on this?

Thanks

Not from my side sorry, don't fly A319's with IAE's.

So, do you fly A319's with CFM engines? How are the CFMs doing when climbing between FL250 and FL350 with a heavy aircraft? What climb rates do you typically see in managed climb?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'd like to kind of bump this issue.

The CFM engine model (full pax, 3100kg cargo) has abysmal climb rates compared to the A319 IAE model under same conditions (still so with HF 1.12c) and generally the CFM appears quite underpowered when compared to the IAE (flown with CI30 in the correct CI system).

(And yes, I have good TAT and OAT on my flights through ASN SP1B, otherwise the IAE model would also show low power).

Is this a known issue, I am the only one observing this or does it reflect the real-world behavior? I have read about a new CFM engine model coming up with SP2. Will it adress this?

If this CFM low power is real world, I couldn't believe that so many airlines would choose CFM over IAE engines.

Any input?

• Deputy Sheriffs

No it is not RW. This is also one of the reasons why AS is upgrading the CFM model. We are now very close to a nice CFM model that is on par with the IAE.

Performance wise the IAE is a bit better than the CFM in RW but in the end it really comes down to the thrust rating of the engine.

No it is not RW. This is also one of the reasons why AS is upgrading the CFM model. We are now very close to a nice CFM model that is on par with the IAE.

Performance wise the IAE is a bit better than the CFM in RW but in the end it really comes down to the thrust rating of the engine.

Thanks for your input.

So, both engines in our AS A319 are nominally 27K rated and should hence perform similarly.

Seems that I'll limit myself to flying the AS IAE A319 until the new CFM model will be released.

Archived