Descent check list failed to start and now shows negitive miles

Andiehuk

Hi,

Bit of an odd one and it could well be my fault but it didn't seem right to me.

- Checklist and co-pilot enabled.

- All checklists working fine through to the cruise.

- The descent checklist will start in # miles message appears. The miles are counting down as you would expect before the TOD.

- Well before TOD I adjusted the altitude to the first STAR constraint in preparation and accidentally pushed the knob to command a managed descent. Realising my mistake I changed the altitude back to the cruise altitude and climbed the 300 feet back up and then leveled off. I then set the altitude back to the first STAR constraint and did nothing else expecting the checklist to start and show the initiate descent message after completing. This was all done well before reaching the TOD with something like 25 miles until the descent chk list was supposed to kick in automatically.

- The descent checklist did not start at all and the # miles message was showing an increasingly negative value as I moved away from the TOD, this continued to increase throughout the rest of the flight.

- I tried turning off the checklist to restart it etc but it just showed a constantly flashing text msg about a Delay on the right MCDU so I left it in the end.

- No further checklists or call outs were heard except once I had landed and left the runway. The after landing checklist appeared to run through although there were no calls, I just heard buttons and switches being pressed.

Andy

• Deputy Sheriffs

Andy,

it was not the DESCENT CL but the DESCENT PREPARATION CL you are talking about. And one condition is that the FMA states ALT CRZ to make this CL available. So I do not know what you FMA displayed mabe just ALT? You can also start the DESCENT PREPARATION at any time 1 min after reaching CRL LVL (but from the MCDU2). It is also necesary that T/D is still available on the F-PLAN page.... So there are a lot of things to be considered. More information you find in the Vol6 StepbyStep guide...... Suggestion next time be more careful what you are doing....Some mistake cannot be reverted.......

Regards,

Rolf

• Deputy Sheriffs

Andy,

yes it is very common, but then you have to change first the MCDU FL on the INIT A page.......

Archived