Paint kit question

araig

As the paint kit problems thread is locked I'll ask my question here.

Has anyone managed to paint under the nose correctly? I'm trying to add the A319 text seen on US Airways birds and haven't been able to correct for the curvature.

Another slight issue is on the tail. I painted a straight white line of equal thickness across the top of the tail but as you can see from the pic the line shows a different thickness on the rudder compared to the rest of the tail. I am missing something here? EDIT: actually on further investigation it seems that its a shift and not a difference in thickness, well based on the model in the free viewer and not in FSX.

Thanks in advance for the help,

araig

post-1357-0-18210300-1412354605_thumb.jp

post-1357-0-87090300-1412354674_thumb.jp

This is a new paintkit that features also a higher resolution.

The horizontal offset for vertical stabilisator vs rudder is for the A319: 87 pixels

for the A318: 107 pixels

Hope it works!

Marcel

As the paint kit problems thread is locked I'll ask my question here.

Has anyone managed to paint under the nose correctly? I'm trying to add the A319 text seen on US Airways birds and haven't been able to correct for the curvature.

Another slight issue is on the tail. I painted a straight white line of equal thickness across the top of the tail but as you can see from the pic the line shows a different thickness on the rudder compared to the rest of the tail. I am missing something here? EDIT: actually on further investigation it seems that its a shift and not a difference in thickness, well based on the model in the free viewer and not in FSX.

Thanks in advance for the help,

araig

Hi Araig!

Nose issue: It is obvious that the angles of the A319 logo parts make no sense to each other. The "19" must rotated clockwise, The "A3" counter click wise. You can help yourself also with simply painting a line at this place for both sides. If they fit together and make a straight line you are at the right track.

Tail issue: When there is a stripe too thick a pixel, make it more narrow a pixel....

Stefan,

Thanks for the post but I'm not sure you read my post after Mathijs'. I paint a straight line of equal thickness and at the rudder it becomes vertically offset by 1 pixel. It's ok I can fix that but just seems strange that this happens on the starboard side only.

good tip about using a straight line for the A319. I'll try that. Thanks.

Rather than start another topic, I'll simply use araig's so as to not clutter the forum

So I have a new issue. For some reason, a portion of the Lufthansa logo is still visible even though the reflections are disabled and the spec map is good. Any ideas?

gVmeflX.png

Rather than start another topic, I'll simply use araig's so as to not clutter the forum

So I have a new issue. For some reason, a portion of the Lufthansa logo is still visible even though the reflections are disabled and the spec map is good. Any ideas?

I believe its the alpha channel you must have used Lufthansa livery as a base starting point - check that

Yup just checked it thats the problem here is the file name ( AS_A319_EXTTAIL_C) have to be careful using other paints to make new ones - I learned this the hard way also

Not just the tail either you will notice a lot off stuff has to be corrected in that file

The alpha is good. I've checked three times now.

EDIT - No its not... I had two PSD's I was working with and had been using the wrong version. So yeah, my fault.

No biggie - carry on Sir - super job

If you hadn't said it was the alpha I never would've checked the other PSD's sitting in the corner of my desktop, the ones I was in the process of deleting. So thanks for that.

Welcome - I have been there myself - this is no easy bird to paint thats for sure

I use dxtbmp and in the top right hand corner of the program it shows you the alpha - great program not sure if your using it - you just double click the main image or the alpha image and it will launch your editor of choice - mine being photoshop

Welcome - I have been there myself - this is no easy bird to paint thats for sure

I use dxtbmp and in the top right hand corner of the program it shows you the alpha - great program not sure if your using it - you just double click the main image or the alpha image and it will launch your editor of choice - mine being photoshop

I use CS 2014 with the Nvidia tools plugin. I had cleaned the alpha in one PSD, saved it and then closed the folder. Forgetting the folder that I had closed, I opened the wrong one and continued work.

As you can see, my desktop is a little cluttered with Photoshop files at present.

UxZ1y3n.png

hi,

I am currently working on Czech air force one repaint, and it`s almost done: Screenshot%2B2014-10-06%2B02.11.41.png

but I have a question: any guide how to fix this? that lines should be straight:Screenshot%2B2014-10-06%2B02.12.00.png

thx fo response

hi,

I am currently working on Czech air force one repaint, and it`s almost done:

(pic deleted)

but I have a question: any guide how to fix this? that lines should be straight:

(pic deleted)

thx fo response

Painting simple straight lines in your texture won't help, as the texture has to be transfered onto a 3D Model... Just compare your textures with the tail e.g. of the A319 American. You'll see what I mean.

hi,

I am currently working on Czech air force one repaint, and it`s almost done: Screenshot%2B2014-10-06%2B02.11.41.png

but I have a question: any guide how to fix this? that lines should be straight:Screenshot%2B2014-10-06%2B02.12.00.png

thx fo response

Hi ilfyCZ!

The issue you encounter roots in the relationship between euclidic space and a two dimensional representation of that space.

Pilots know this in their navigational department as "geodesic". So when they fly a long range track of several thousand kilometers (and maybe passengers here have witnessed this on the entertainment screens), you will never

see a straight line flown on the 2d map, but ever a curve. But back in 3d Space it will be the direct and straight way. Confusing or? But only when you hear about it the first time.

For further reading i recommend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic

In the case of the realworld flights in needs some thousands of kilometers to make the curvature obvious, as the curvature of earth brings only around 5 meters height difference per 8 km distance with it.

But in case of our model the assymetrical curvature is very high already in a space of some meters. And thats why as the difference of assymetrical curvature gets extremer and extremer to the tail end of the airbus you need to bow your lines

an according opposite way to neutralize the bow. A tool that comes to hand for the measure is Photoshops Spline painting tool. It enables you to create curved filled areas, so not by control of each pixel point of the curve (like hand drawing),

but with the control of handles at the end points of the curve. So adjustment of the curve flow is a matter a seconds. I recommend again usage of Arno´s (FS Developers) Model Converter X to more fast reload the painted results and so cross check

what you have done. That saves you time compared to have restarted the whole sim anytime and you can easily rotate around the aircraft. The perfect way would be for sure a full blown preview editor which is common for example in DCS, Lock ON and

IL2 sims. But that still lacks in FSX or Prepar3D. We hope here too, that such a thing is soon added to the tool list and will make work for anyone easier.

Archived