P3D vs. The unstable FSX

P3D is no-go until it works out of the box. 2.3 worked for me but 2.4 gives a fatal error as soon as the default flight loads, no matter if I use the update method or fresh install. I spent 6 hours a day for 5 days trying to make it work. I really want to use it but...

Rob.

I understand, Mathijs. But the next post sums up what many experiencing unfortunately. Cloud shadows might be nice, but if you never get the sim to work, not much point.

• Aerosoft

P3D is no-go until it works out of the box. 2.3 worked for me but 2.4 gives a fatal error as soon as the default flight loads, no matter if I use the update method or fresh install. I spent 6 hours a day for 5 days trying to make it work. I really want to use it but...

Rob.

And what did Lockheed say to that? They got very good customer support via the forums!

I've been through every trouble shooting method I can find Mathijs. I haven't given up but it was taking up a disproportionate part of my life so I've taken a short break from it!

Rob.

" P3D is no-go until it works out of the box. 2.3 worked for me but 2.4 gives a fatal error as soon as the default flight loads, no matter if I use the update method or fresh install. I spent 6 hours a day for 5 days trying to make it work. I really want to use it but..."

I had the same problem, was told to:

"Find the P3D ini file, delete it then run the program, it will rewrite the ini file and work correctly"

For me it worked

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the tip, but in my ignorance I have to ask, specifically which .ini file, and where is it, please? (I have looked, a lot!)

Rob.

That's where jonesrob has a valid point.

These simulators don't quite work like toasters where you set a temperature and pull the lever down. Hand holding a user to make available and travel into hidden sub-directories (user.../appdata..etc) can be a serious barrier to the enjoyment of these products (Not to mention the security layer that sometimes needs to be managed :mecry_s:(read/write permissions... etc.))

I'm a software developer since the early 80's and can safely say that some kind of utility enabling users to easily view, edit or clear the various P3D specific configuration files (while quietly keeping a copy of the original) in P3D is a must have :dumb_me_s: A desktop or portable is not an XBOX One or PS4 where the hardware components are fixed. A simulator of this complexity can require micro-management of parameters and its always a good idea to keep notes on the changes made as well as keeping chronological references to the inspiration of these changes lol. As far as I'm concerned, the worst part is optimizing video parameters (impacting FPS) which can be a time consuming nightmare not to mention that NVIDIA doesn't consider simulations worthy of 'gaming' support like a Ubisoft product.

... Maybe I'll write that utility after all and make a bit of money LOL (I'll enjoy a few flights before hehe)

• 1 month later...

I just bought the P3D 2.4 version. FSX I have enjoyed for so many years. 30 percent of my flights now crash in FSX. So its not fun anymore. So far I copied and Pasted 90 percent of my scenery addons and no problems. My fps are anywhere from 24 to 45 average. The shading on the cockpits are super and no CTD in 20 + Flights. Some companies are P3D compatible already

for me. I am looking to slowly uninstall things from FSX and finally uninstall FSX completely. My A320 and A321 works beautifully. I am going to get the smaller airbus soon and the CRJ when it comes out. But for now thumbs up on P3D.

Archived